Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dll is m

windows 7 error message Microsoft Update searching for updates

• Please log in to reply

aeja

aeja

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello, 

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this issue I've been having. When I attempt to open the program Origin, I receive the following error message:

The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I've looked up solutions, and most of them want me to update my computer. However, when I try that I am stuck on the "searching for updates" screen and it doesn't get me anywhere. According to Microsoft Update, the last time my computer was updated was a few days ago.

I've tried solutions for that as well and most of them seem to direct me to manually download updates by disabling Microsoft update and downloading them off the Microsoft website. I downloaded the update KB3020369 and it was successful, but I was also told to download the update KB3172605 and it gave me the error message "The update is not applicable to your computer." I've made sure its for the right operating system so I'm not sure what the problem with that could be.

I've also tried manually uninstalling Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 and installing it again but that doesn't fix the problem either.

I'm at a loss with this issue and I've been trying to fix it for two days now. I'm running Windows 7 x64-bit.

Honestly I just want to play the sims ): Please help. Thank you

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then click on the arrow in front of Event Viewer. Next Click on the arrow in front of Windows Logs Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application.

Reboot.

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.  Then type (with an Enter after each line).

sfc  /scannow

Copy the next two lines:

findstr  /c:"[SR]"  \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log  >  \junk.txt
notepad \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue.  Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter. Copy and paste the text from notepad or if it is too big, just attach the file.)

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.  (Each time you run VEW it overwrites the log so copy the first one to a Reply or rename it before running it a second time.)

Try the

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7

This link is for 64 bit:
https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=20858

It will take a while to finish.  Be patient.

There is a log at: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log.  Please post it.  If you can't see it then tell Windows to unhide things:

Control Panel, (View By:  Large Icons)  Folder Options, View.

Uncheck Hide Extensions for Known File Types
Uncheck Hide Protected System Files
Check Show Hidden Files,Folders and Drives.
OK

Once that runs then get

KB3083710 and KB3102810 if you don't already have them

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/3083710

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/3102810

Then try Windows Update again and see if you have better luck.