Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

requested resource is in use.. cannot run mc Affee or any other antivi

antivirus disabled virus cannot access files can not delete virus

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
It is a good idea to look around for a deal on a good hard drive, though hold of on that a moment till we determine how close to dead the hard drive is. We have some very experienced hardware techs here that could help you find the perfect replacement.

When ready, please post the link for the Speccy url.

Advertisements

aKay47

aKay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

speccy did not run.. I got the error about resource is in use.   UGGGGGHHHHH

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Great googly moogly! Right click on the Speccy icon and choose Rename. Rename it something.. whatever comes to mind, such as your name, chocolate, type of car you have, abc, ughh, etc.

If that does not work, drag and drop the file to that USB drive you have. Then open the USB drive and run it from there.

aKay47

aKay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...1yhgEfZOh1Ld8St

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Good morning, aKay47! :)

Thank you for the link. Please tell me which worked to get it working for you. Renaming or running from the USB drive? This information may help in other similar situations.

Now for the low down on the health of the drive. The information in the Speccy scan shows the following:

Attribute name:
Current Pending Sector Count
Real value:

Current:
Worst:
Threshold:
Raw Value:
Good

Current Pending Sector Count S.M.A.R.T. parameter is a critical parameter and indicates the current count of unstable sectors (waiting for remapping). The raw value of this attribute indicates the total number of sectors waiting for remapping. Later, when some of these sectors are read successfully, the value is decreased. If errors still occur when reading some sector, the hard drive will try to restore the data, transfer it to the reserved disk area (spare area) and mark this sector as remapped.

I truly appreciate my fellow associate RKinner for explaining this to me since I have little knowledge on how to interpret the detailed information in the Speccy scan.

Your hard drive is a Seagate and I must agree with the hardware experts that Seagate drives can not be trusted. I had one myself that went bad which I did replace with Western Digital Black hard drive. Our suggestion is as follows:

Suggest a nice Western Digital Black drive. They are not that much more than the Blues and have a better warranty and generally just last a lot longer.
Amazon has one for $64.99
WD Black 1TB Performance Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache 9.5 MM 2.5 Inch - WD10JPLX

Since this is a laptop the best way to clone the drive is with a USB to SATA adapter
StarTech USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP - SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD or similar ($11.95 from Amazon)

I've used the free Macrium:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

software to clone several drives. It works well and is easy to use.

If you decide not to take the laptop to a reputable tech shop in your area and would prefer to save money and replace the hard drive yourself, our dedicated hardware experts in the [url=http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/forum/9-hardware-components-and-peripherals/]Hardware, Components and Peripherals[/quote] would be more than happy to guide you. As soon as I hear back from you as to what you would like to do, I will at that time close this topic since there is not much more that can be done here in the malware removal forum.

Donna :)

aKay47

aKay47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

sorry i have been incommunicado, i am taking care of a friends very sick cat, plus school and it is almost finals week.   So to answer your question  the renaming file trick worked ! The same trick worked on Malwarebytes and I was able to install that as well. I am going to purchase a new hard drive , however it will have to wait until after the Christmas Holiday is over as I also have my youngest whose birthday is xmas eve.  So this makes December a real tight budget month!  I believe I have a drive shuttle  already for usb connection so all I will need to purchase is the actual drive.  The black drive sounds like a good deal.    As we will be cloning the drive, does it matter that the current is a 750GB?  Also we will have to cleanse this drive of infection first prior to cloning correct?  

So I was not sure I understood completely about the status of my current drive.  I understand that it is having issues, but does that mean it will be dying right away or is it safe to wait until after the holidays?

thanks for all your help and going above and beyond for me 

Also, thank you for the Heads up on the Seagate issue.  I was actually looking at replacing this one with the same brand.. That would have been a big mistake obviously'

Edited by aKay47, 06 December 2017 - 01:03 PM.