Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google Chrome search hijacked to Yahoo Search (ugh!)

search chrome google yahoo hijack

• Please log in to reply

blondie53185

blondie53185

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi everyone!

Unfortunately, when I search in Google Chrome, I receive results in Yahoo Search rather than Google Search. I've checked my default settings, (still set to Google), searched for any Chrome Extensions that referenced "Search" or "Yahoo" -- all good. I've installed and run MalwareByte - Removed 3 files as indicated below:

File: 3
PUP.Optional.DriverSupport, C:\USERS\JJANO\DOWNLOADS\DRIVERSUPPORT.EXE, Quarantined, [2320], [486292],1.0.4002
PUP.Optional.Conduit, C:\USERS\JJANO\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Sync Data\SyncData.sqlite3, Replaced, [526], [454832],1.0.4002
PUP.Optional.Conduit, C:\USERS\JJANO\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\Default\Secure Preferences, Replaced, [526], [454832],1.0.4002

My problem still exists. Can anyone help? 

Advertisements

JeremiahMarcellus

JeremiahMarcellus

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Have you tried deleting/uninstalling Google Chrome then downloading and installing a fresh copy?

blondie53185

blondie53185

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Thanks for the suggestion, Jeremiah but that sounds painful for me. I have 7 different Chrome profiles, one for me and one for 6 of my clients. Sounds like it may be a PITA to have to recreate all of them. Do you have any other suggestions?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi blondie53185,

I have been watching this topic with interest. I am not a Chrome user and I hope that sharing my thoughts are not a waste of your time but I am wondering....

I have 7 different Chrome profiles,

when there are multiple user profiles, do all those profiles have options to set which ever search engine they chose to use or is the search engine (for lack of having no idea what I am talking about) synchronized?

I was going to suggest the Chrome Cleanup Tool, but due to the presence of multiple user profiles I am not sure what will happen.I would hate to make the suggestion only to find that it is not designed to work on multiple profiles. Are you familiar with that utility?

When I return from my errands I'll have more time to research and experiment with my Chrome and I am sure we can find the answer.

blondie53185

blondie53185

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I was just notified that load.jsecoin wanted to run on my computer. How do I get rid of this?

blondie53185

blondie53185

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hey Miss Congeniality! I am 99% sure they are completely independent copies of Chrome. I have each one set up for each of the client's gmail, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other programs so it is as if I am sitting in front of their computer. I even have all their bookmarks synched.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I was just notified that load.jsecoin wanted to run on my computer. How do I get rid of this?

Do you recognize it? If not, is MBAM able to quarantine it so\till I can look into this further? If we find it to be legit, it can always be retrieved from quarantine.

Hey Miss Congeniality! I am 99% sure they are completely independent copies of Chrome. I have each one set up for each of the client's gmail, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other programs so it is as if I am sitting in front of their computer. I even have all their bookmarks synched.

I hate to be nosy but...
Is this a work computer assigned to you by the company you work for, or a home computer you use for an in home self employment type business?

As for independent copies of Chrome being installed on the same computer, I do not think that is possible unless you have each of the copies installed inside their own little sandboxed world. Under normal circumstances, when I try to download/install a 2nd copy of Google Chrome all it does is overwrite the 1st copy installed. I found an interesting conversation concerning multiple copies of Google Chrome installed in a single environment here. If this is not how your system is set up, then more than likely the multiple profiles are set up to open as separate instances (profiles) of Chrome as shown in this YouTube video.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Hi again blondie53185,

I owe a debt of gratitude to SleepyDude, my fellow associate. He helped me to sort my thoughts on your dilemma concerning that MBAM popup. Them only way to get rid of it is to not try to access that site. In his words:

The fact that malwarebytes is detecting load.jsecoin.com it means the browser is accessing some website that injects a script to use the computer power of the user to Mining currency inside the browser (in-browser cryptocurrency miners) the profit goes to someone else.
This is not an infection nor installed permanently that's why malwarebytes does find nothing on the scans.

I was on my way to lock the topic you started in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal since we got that sorted out but I see that RKinner beat me there and posted instructions for you to follow. You can proceed with his instructions if you would like for him to take an indepth look at your system. He is really good at what he does and might even be able to help with your search engine problem.

Let me know what you wish to do. If you prefer to go with his instructions, it would be best if we locked this topic to avoid any conflicts that might arise between multiple helpers who may instruct you to one thing while the other takes another approach.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Donna :)

blondie53185

blondie53185

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hey Donna - Thanks for the reply and please feel free to lock this topic. I am currently attempting to download and run Farbar tool but my Webroot software is telling me it is infected with adware! I have replied to RKinner about this and will look for a different download site.

JeremiahMarcellus

JeremiahMarcellus

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Glad that you're on your way to sorting the problem out.