Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreen crashes and random instability

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

SylvieH

SylvieH

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,
I've been having trouble with my new Surface Book 2. Bluescreens, strange errors like cursors doing weird things like leaving trails, the caps lock key working in reverse, lags and skips when entering text into fields, when I open photo files from explorer they take a little too long to load, then when I press the rotate button say three times, there is a lag, and then the photo rotates twice, or maybe four times. Reproduceable to some extent but also erratic.

Anyway, I've been looking at the Reliability Monitor and the blue line is indeed all over the place and never up at ten. 

Can anyone tell me what the two errors below might indicate?

Thanks so much!

Problem
Hardware error

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
Code:    144
Parameter 1:    3003
Parameter 2:    ffff818f25497708
Parameter 3:    40010000
Parameter 4:    0
OS version:    10_0_16299
Service Pack:    0_0
Product:    256_1
OS Version:    10.0.16299.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:    5129

Problem
Windows stopped working

Description
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000ce (0xfffff80cd377d4b0, 0x0000000000000010, 0xfffff80cd377d4b0, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 60f53d11-9f2a-43bf-b15b-fabf47d97dc5.

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

My recommendation would be to back up your files and start from a fresh clean install to give you a better idea of what may be going on.

SylvieH

SylvieH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi there, thanks for your reply. I am really trying to avoid doing that, as there is a lot of music production software installed on the machine, some of it from cracks, and it is a trly huge job to get it all working - I'm unsure if I actually would be able to get it working as well as it is now if I started over... Also, I did in fact do a clean re-install about six weeks ago. It improved matters but only briefly. Do you have any other thoughts on things I could try in order to diagnose / fix the problems without a clean install? 

SylvieH

SylvieH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Thanks for your reply - no problem with recovering after the bluescreen, but I'm actually trying to work out how to avoid future bluescreens :)

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

SylvieH,

It appears that you may be operating outside this site's "Terms of Use"... see here for details:

http://www.geekstogo...tion=boardrules

You said here:

I am really trying to avoid doing that, as there is a lot of music production software installed on the machine, some of it from cracks

We do not assist folks with cracks or cracked software on their computers.

Here's an extract from the Terms of Use referred to above:

..."We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally".

If you wish to continue to seek assistance here you must first remove all  cracks or cracked software from your computer, however it is often fruitless to try and correct errors on a piecemeal basis when cracked software and the like has been used.

When/if you confirm that such software has been removed we will be pleased to assist as far as we can but dmccoy's response to your original post is the better way to go.

Regards

paws

SylvieH

SylvieH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

OK, thanks for letting me know