Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BootMGR missing after botched update. (Resolved).

Bootmgr Windows update Cardinal sin Boot

Best Answer ExoSuitUno , 09 May 2018 - 09:05 PM

I'm sorry, I was stuck on mobile until last night. Also, I didn't think you could edit a post once you post it, so I kept posting to update. If that's the case though, I will conglomerate it. ... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

ExoSuitUno

ExoSuitUno

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
So, I done goofed.

A little background: I was trying to launch Battlenet.exe to play some Overwatch. I watched it load in the task manager, and all of the sudden, it would just stop as it took up a little less than 7 MB of RAM. Generally, the launcher takes several hundred. Looking at the desktop, a window would pop up saying "Battle.net is loading, please wait" or something like that, and it would just get stuck. I tried killing the process tree, bit it wouldn't die. I restarted my computer to see if it was just acting wierd, and it would just persist like this. So I tried opening Steam next, same issue even after restarting. So I thought "maybe I just need to run an update". Well, windows update froze like that too, so I performed a restart. It said "preparing to install update". Stupid me, I thought that it was just expanding the compressed files or something. Nope, it was manipulating the computer files.

So, here's my current situation: even though I have "removable device" at a higher boot priority, it will still go straight to the hdd regardless of its boot priority. Really wierd. Regardless, I removed the sata cables fromy hard drive and booted to the USB which I have my copy of Windows 7 64-bit on. I try startup repair. Nope. Failure code 0x15. Tried rebuilding the BCD through command prompt. No dice, it recognizes the OS on the USB and HDD and gets confused. I tried one other command prompt command that involved the /recovery flag, and that didn't work either. Something about writing a new boot partition. Whatever. It didn't work.

So, suffice it to say, I'm all out of ideas and getting worried.

Thank you all for taking your time to read this.

Edited by ExoSuitUno, 05 May 2018 - 09:36 PM.

Advertisements

ExoSuitUno

ExoSuitUno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Oh, one more thing. I didn't even know this was a thing, but I have McCafee Live Safe partially installed on my computer and I don't know how to remove it. Basically, the installer ran and failed. Now it loads its services but there is no program that I can see to delete it, and it doesn't even pop up in the programs and features section. I just want it gone.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I assume you do not have a restore point or backup to restore from a good working point?

We can try a couple things.

1. Boot with the Windows USB and go to Command Prompt and follow the steps below

Restore Registry

Type or copy and paste the commands below and press Enter after each one.

Change the all c:/ commands to the correct Windows drive letter below. If you need help, copy and paste the following command:

bcdedit |find "osdevice" (this will display the correct Windows drive letter)

1. d:\
  2. cd d:\windows\system32\config\regback
  3. Dir (This will list the contents of regback, note the date and be sure that the contents are not empty. If it is empty then this will not work STOP and DO NOT proceed

4. copy *.* d:\windows\system32\config (press enter)
  5. Select ALL to the override prompt, it will say files copied, 5 hives will be copied
  6. Restart computer and test

ExoSuitUno

ExoSuitUno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have no idea what I did, but I fixed it. I tried doing system restore and startup repair a few times more and it miraculously fixed it. Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it. If something else happens, I will follow your steps and reply to this thread. Thank you again! :)

ExoSuitUno

ExoSuitUno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, I still have the issue of no chrome, no steam, no battle.net, etc. They will start up, but then they will freeze and become unresponsive. I have no idea what's causing it. Please help.

ExoSuitUno

ExoSuitUno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Do I still need to follow these steps even though it is working? Only problem now is that the BIOS will not automatically recognize which hard drive the OS is on. I have to detatch all data storage devices that the OS is not on for it to start properly. I'm not convinced that I don't have a virus.

ExoSuitUno

ExoSuitUno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry I'm coming at you with a lot of different problems.

ExoSuitUno

ExoSuitUno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just don't know how any of this happened. I'm almost always extremely careful with my system.

ExoSuitUno

ExoSuitUno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Update: I decided to run a disk scan on both sets of hard drives for any errors and recovery of any bad sectors. I didn't see anything bad happen. I also decided to update windows with everything that didn't fail, uninstall/ reinstall the driver for my USB wifi network adapter, and uninstall some suspicious programs. Somehow, for whatever reason, I can fully access everything now including internet web pages and web-dependent games/clients. I downloaded ESET NOD 32 and am in the process of doing an in-depth scan of all of my files.

My McAfee Live Safe problem has also sorted itself out.

My only other concern is that I have to keep all of the other storage devices unplugged for the BIOS not to jump the gun and not recognize the proper boot device. I may need to update my BIOS, but I'm scared to and would appreciate any assistance in the matter. Maybe you have some other things for me to do before that. I'm not sure.

This whole things has felt like I've taken a hammer to my software, banged it a few times, and have it magically startup without many other issues arising.

But hey, thank you for any time you devote to this. I really appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to help me. Thank you.

ExoSuitUno

ExoSuitUno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Update:
McAfee still exists, it just doesn't activate on startup. It is a broken program, and I want it removed, but it has no listing in the programs and features window.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for dmccoy to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. Thank you for understanding  :thumbsup: 

Until Darrin can get back to you, for your McAfee problem, download then run the McAfee product removal tool  (MCPR) here

ExoSuitUno

ExoSuitUno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
✓  Best Answer

I'm sorry, I was stuck on mobile until last night. Also, I didn't think you could edit a post once you post it, so I kept posting to update. If that's the case though, I will conglomerate it.

UPDATE: With a combination of your help and just fooling around with bios settings, I fixed everything. Also, virus scan with ESET NOD 32 returned no viruses detected. Apparently it was my own stupidity. One last thing though, could you all walk me through updating my BIOS? I'm really afraid to without having done it before. I have an Asus M5A 78L-M. Thank you again for your help

Edited by ExoSuitUno, 09 May 2018 - 09:55 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Apologies ExoSuitUno, I didnt chime back in as you were already being assisted by a more than capable helper, by the by and glad to hear that things have worked out for you  :thumbsup:

Can I ask why you wish to update the BIOS, are you having further problems that you think that updating the BIOS may resolve.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Phill, Thanks for your assistance here.

I apologize for my delays. I had a surgery procedure last week and have been down a lot.
Good work on your part. I am glad to hear you have resolved most of your issues. I agree with Phill on updating the bios, usually you only want to update if having issues.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are welcome Darrin, sorry to hear that you have not been too good and would like to wish you a swift and full recovery  :thumbsup: