Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fried motherboard and melted cable

USB Motherboard Melted Cable Overdrawn current from usb

• Please log in to reply

Notle567

Notle567

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Last night i fell asleep with my computer on and woke up to it off and not turning on at all. no power outages or surges in the area and all other electronics were working normally. having no visible signs of power i assumed it might be the power supply and switched into another computer only to have it work perfectly. the only components i was unable to check was the cpu and motherboard which leads me to believe its the motherboard since all fans, leds and other cables were running through it. upon further inspection my razer ornata keyboard cable had a slight melt in it with exposed wires as well as a week or two prior caused the pc to read 'over drawn current from usb' on a bios screen (i realise this was probably a red flag but i assumed at worst it would blow my usb port). has anyone heard of anything similar? because im not sure how this happened and was wondering if anyone could confirm that im thinking along the right lines? i realise this might be a bit hard to believe or sovle wihtout physically seeing it, thanks. 

pictures can be attached if needed

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:    Notle567,

i realise this might be a bit hard to believe or sovle wihtout physically seeing it

Not hard to believe at all, a static charge that is less than what goes through a USB port can take out a MB and/or a CPU.

As for solving anything, we will need to know the brand and model name or number of the MB, CPU, RAM (including the amount) the GPU if you use an add on video card and finally the PSU.

We will also need to know what if anything at all happens when you try and power up the computer, any fans spin, any beeps etc.