Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Record footage from another monitor.

recording monitor

• Please log in to reply

lazyoli

lazyoli

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Hi,

I'm trying to record gameplay footage for let's plays on a Windows XP era pc. The thing is, the hardware is not capable of using modern recording software like Fraps or OBS. I've already tried that at length. So now I am trying to use external capture cards like kaiser baas game recorder and AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus. Sadly it doesn't work either when I try to connect the monitor of the XP PC with the capture card that is connected to my modern PC. For the kaiser baas I tried a composite connection as well as a scart connection (via adapter), for the AVerMedia I used the HDMI port.  The kaiserbaas gives me an eternal Windows logo loading symbol instead of the monitor image when I try to use the recording software that came with the product. I tried all possible settings (NTSC, PAL etc.). When I try to get a screen in OBS, kaiser gives me a blue screen and AVerMedia says no signal found.

Here's my question:

Is it even possible to record from another monitor that is not connected to the PC that is recording? If not then why? People seem to be able to record from consoles / TV. The ports and connections seem to be there. Am I missing something?

Are there any other options that you can think of?

Note: I have no trouble recording game footage / let's plays on my modern PC.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: Oh yeah, and I tried emulating XP on my modern PC with virtualbox. I got the system running but I could barely play a game on it (freezes and crashes), let alone record it.

Edited by lazyoli, 20 September 2018 - 01:02 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Video recorder aimed at the monitor you want to record?