Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer has Internet; Icon shows no internet connection

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hello,

A few days ago, there was a power failure in my neighbourhood due to high winds.  When the power was restored and I restarted my laptop, I noticed that the icon in the bottom right of the screen had a red X through the internet connection symbol.  When I left clicked on it, the window that appeared said that I am not connected.  However, in the same window, there is a list of wireless internet connections available.  In that list is my home wireless service, and it shows that I am connected.  (In fact, I have normal internet capability both on this laptop, my desktop computer, my wife and daughter's laptops, and our cell phones.) 

So for some reason that escapes me, this laptop has an internet connection, but the icon has a red X through it.

Also, possibly related, is that I have been receiving a Windows update notification for an update dated 2012.  (My laptop is fully up to date.)  When I try and install it, it always fails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in sorting out this situation.  Thank you.  Jackpine.

(I ran FRST and have the logs available if needed.)

Advertisements

EdwardRees

EdwardRees

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

I constantly have the same  issue on my Windows 7 from recent time.

It's annoying, but still I try not to get my attention on it.