Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Various BSOD errors

- - - - -

Best Answer krepandus , 21 January 2019 - 06:56 AM

No restore points we're created as of the last one, cause there was no new software installed. As I said, I don't use it as much since I started my internship. I'll try to push some limits by redoi... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

krepandus

krepandus

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

So, basically, for awhile now I've been experiencing various BSOD errors, to the point that i know them by heart. page_fault, kmode... all of them, and have been trying to battle it on and off with no special result. Even reinstalling my Windows a few months ago helped only for awhile, 2 weeks tops. I use a fairly new desktop PC, one year old, and I'm pretty sure the issue is not hardware related. I've already done Memtest which showed no issues and I recall checking my hard disk in the past as well and I think there were no issues as well. It often happens when I play certain videogames (oddly enough, never when I play Blizzard games), but it sometimes also happens on startup, or when I use, say, Photoshop or watch a video via VLAN. I remember updating my NVIDIA Video Card driver and it didn't help.

I always considered myself an intermediate computer user, but now I see that when it comes to troubleshooting real problems, I have no clue, so I would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!

Here's my dump analysis by WhoCrashed:

------------------------------------------------------------

Computer name: DESKTOP-JKJIQ4G
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: MS-7A74, MSI, B250M PRO-VD (MS-7A74)
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 8555565056 bytes total

On Sun 11/18/2018 4:19:49 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111818-7703-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1A9490)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC000001D, 0xFFFFE69506881083, 0xFFFF8D0DF7A97EC0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome:   krepandus,

Even reinstalling my Windows a few months ago helped only for awhile, 2 weeks tops

What type of media did you use, full retail Windows DVD, downloaded ISO etc.

Couple of things for you to do;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Thank you for the fast answer, phillpower2!

I used a bootable USB stick for my installation.

For some reason, Speccy can't connect to the publishing website (googled the issue, suppossedly the servers are down sometimes?) so I saved a screenshot. I found 2 dump files, I think I must've deleted the others with CCleaner or some other software I used in the past few days. Hope it helps!

EDIT: I see my motherboard temp is way high? Is that an issue?

Attached Thumbnails

• speccy.png

Attached Files

• Attached File  dump.rar   216.13KB   380 downloads

Edited by krepandus, 18 November 2018 - 11:16 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello krepandus,,

The USB media that you used, was it downloaded from Microsoft and how long ago was it downloaded.

rar are not used on the forunm, can you upload the dmp files using the method that I provided in my reply #2.

Could have done with the Speccy url as it provides so much hardware and software info, will come back to it if we have to.

The MB temp is off the scales and we do need to check it, sort the dmp files for us and while we look at them you can do some other tests for us.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

My apologies, I always see .rar and .zip as the same. There you go. 

To be frank, I'm not sure. I got it from my gf awhile ago and just always had it.

Edit: Never had any issues on any pc before tho, nor were any activators included, so I don't think it's pirated or anything like that.

Edit 2: Successfully succeeded in publishing speecy list today, here it is: http://speccy.pirifo...kV1h865jMUgx7LZ

Attached Files

• Attached File  dump.zip   231.75KB   398 downloads

Edited by krepandus, 19 November 2018 - 08:27 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Noticed that you have edited out the following from your original reply #5 krepandus;

To be frank, It's a pirated version of windows. One with which I hadn't have any issues on any computer I've installed it, only this one. 

As per the GTG Terms of Use we have a duty to ask you, is the Windows software that you are running legitimate, if unsure let us know and we can provide a means of checking it.

Took a look at Speccy first and can see a couple of issues, any crash dmps may point to one or more of them as the possible cause, we will let you know once they have been checked.

Windows Security Center

User Account Control (UAC): Enabled
Notify level: 0 - Never Notify
Firewall: Enabled
Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Not configured
Windows Defender
Windows Defender: Disabled
Antivirus
Avast Antivirus
Antivirus: Enabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Disabled
Malwarebytes
Antivirus: Enabled

Unless on a metered internet connection Windows should be set to auto update, this keep Windows more secure from malware attack, it is also a good sign as to whether or not the OS is legit or not.

Multiple AV programs are explained below but fwiw I personally would uninstall Avast and use MBAM/Windows Defender.

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

Having more than one AV installed on your computer is bad, it will slow down the computer, cause internet connection problems and leave you with no AV protection at all if they cancel each other out as they fight for resources.

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

If you stick with only Windows Defender, once any other AV has been correctly uninstalled, check to see if Windows Defender has auto enabled and allow it to update and carry out a full scan of your computer. 

Avast clean removal info here

Malwarebytes Cleanup Utility here

Power Profile

Active power scheme: High performance This setting is a form of overclocking that can cause overheating which in turn can lead to system instability, change the setting to Balanced in the Windows Power Plan.

Partition 0
Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #0
Disk Letter: C:
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 60B3C239
Size: 118 GB
Used Space: 107 GB (90%)
Free Space: 10.9 GB (10%

For Windows to be able to run efficiently and to be able to update you need to have between 20 and 25% of the partition or drive available as free storage space at all times, if you don`t you risk Windows becoming corrupt or not being able to update which puts you at risk of malware attack.

Data only storage devices should not be allowed to get any lower than 10% of free storage space of the full capacity of the drive/partition on the drive.

Uninstall as many unused programs, games, videos and music files as you can and get yourself another means of backing up to, post back when you have between 20 and 25% free storage on the C: drive/partition and we can go from there.

Edit to add: DriverMax was implicated in one dmp, the other dmp nothing specific but the same Malwarebytes driver was shown to have failed to load in both dmps (mwac.sys) , Emisoft drivers also failed to load in the dmp that DriverMax was flagged up for.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

As per the GTG Terms of Use we have a duty to ask you, is the Windows software that you are running legitimate, if unsure let us know and we can provide a means of checking it.

Sorry, I typed that in a hurry. As I said, I'm not really sure. I've never bought a Windows 10 copy, but have always used that one. I thought it's a pirated copy, but I asked my gf where she got it form, said the tech guys that built her PC made her the ISO on her USB, so there's that. 

Unless on a metered internet connection Windows should be set to auto update, this keep Windows more secure from malware attack, it is also a good sign as to whether or not the OS is legit or not.

I manually turned off auto update, cause some google searches in the past pointed out that Windows updates sometimes cause BSODs. I did manually update since then. I've turned it back on now.

Multiple AV programs are explained below but fwiw I personally would uninstall Avast and use MBAM/Windows Defender.

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

Having more than one AV installed on your computer is bad, it will slow down the computer, cause internet connection problems and leave you with no AV protection at all if they cancel each other out as they fight for resources.

Understood. Now I remember seing some posts about avast causing BSODs because of, well... "something-something". I don't remember. Could it be because of the interference of the two AVs? In any case, I uninstalled Avast (by using CCleaner) and turned on Windows Defender again.

Power Profile

Active power scheme: High performance This setting is a form of overclocking that can cause overheating which in turn can lead to system instability, change the setting to Balanced in the Windows Power Plan.

For Windows to be able to run efficiently and to be able to update you need to have between 20 and 25% of the partition or drive available as free storage space at all times, if you don`t you risk Windows becoming corrupt or not being able to update which puts you at risk of malware attack.

I've set the power profile to balanced and made space on drive C:
Here's the new speccy link: http://speccy.pirifo...Pw05d6MwcNRT55g

Also, I'd like to say thanks for helping be. I know it's what you do, but still :) It means a lot.

P.S. I've had 2 BSODs today, one while just being in Chrome on Youtube, and one just after, on startup. 

I've uploaded the dump.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dump.zip   143.16KB   398 downloads

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I uninstalled Avast (by using CCleaner) 

It is important that you only follow what is suggested by a person that is trying to help you with troubleshooting, the Avast clean removal tool when used correctly will remove all traces of Avast whereas using any other method can leave orphaned files behind that will not only cause conflicts with other AV software but also be hard to find and even more difficult to remove.

P.S. I've had 2 BSODs today, one while just being in Chrome on Youtube, and one just after, on startup. 

I've uploaded the dump.

Two BSOD but only the one dmp file.

The info in the crash dmp suggests that the Windows registry is damaged, has someone used the CCleaner registry cleaner.

PROCESS_NAME:  Registry

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

It is important that you only follow what is suggested by a person that is trying to help you with troubleshooting, the Avast clean removal tool when used correctly will remove all traces of Avast whereas using any other method can leave orphaned files behind that will not only cause conflicts with other AV software but also be hard to find and even more difficult to remove.

My apologies. I did as you asked, all traces of avast have been removed now.

Two BSOD but only the one dmp file.

The info in the crash dmp suggests that the Windows registry is damaged, has someone used the CCleaner registry cleaner.

Yeah, there was only one dump file in the Minidump folder for some reason, I found it peculiar as well. I also had a BSOD today, and no dump was created. They are enabled so I don't see why.

I used CCleaner for registry scanning, yes, and have selected it to fix all issues. I do it everytime I do a cleaner scan. Thought it was... a good thing to do?

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

I've figured the issue. Sometimes I get a BSOD but windows doesn't restart on it's own, so I need to hold down the power button and turn off the PC manually. I guess there's no dump created then. Here's one from today, when windows reseted on its own successfully.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dump.zip   50.88KB   376 downloads

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I used CCleaner for registry scanning, yes, and have selected it to fix all issues. I do it everytime I do a cleaner scan. Thought it was... a good thing to do?

Nope and your present computer issues are proof if it were needed why only advanced users should go anywhere near the registry, see info from your latest crash dmp below that I have highlighted in red;

Debug session time: Thu Nov 22 12:56:49.243 2018 (UTC - 5:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:03.026
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO (74)
Can indicate that the SYSTEM hive loaded by the osloader/NTLDR
was corrupt.  This is unlikely, since the osloader will check
a hive to make sure it isn't corrupt after loading it.
It can also indicate that some critical registry keys and values
are not present.  (i.e. somebody used regedt32 to delete something
that they shouldn't have)  Booting from LastKnownGood may fix
the problem, but if someone is persistent enough in mucking with
the registry they will need to reinstall or use the Emergency
Repair Disk.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000002, (reserved)
Arg2: 0000000000000001, (reserved)
Arg3: 0000000000000003, (reserved)
Arg4: ffffffffc000009a, usually the NT status code.

Debugging Details:
------------------

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\modclass.ini, error 2

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x74

PROCESS_NAME:  Registry

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

BAD_PAGES_DETECTED: 1eb51f

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff80033385c52 to fffff80032e4c690

STACK_TEXT:  
ffff8209`e450a878 fffff800`33385c52 : 00000000`00000074 00000000`00000002 00000000`00000001 00000000`00000003 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
ffff8209`e450a880 fffff800`32d164f7 : ffff8387`01685080 ffff8387`01685080 fffff800`332d2200 00000000`00000003 : nt!CmpLoadHiveThread+0xb3a52
ffff8209`e450ab10 fffff800`32e53b06 : ffff9501`a9600180 ffff8387`01685080 fffff800`32d164b0 00000000`00000000 : nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x47
ffff8209`e450ab60 00000000`00000000 : ffff8209`e450b000 ffff8209`e4504000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiStartSystemThread+0x16

STACK_COMMAND:  kb

SYMBOL_NAME:  PAGE_NOT_ZERO

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: Unknown_Module

IMAGE_NAME:  Unknown_Image

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  0

BUCKET_ID:  PAGE_NOT_ZERO

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Suggest that you try a refresh of Windows 10, see the Keep my files info at the tutorial here provided courtesy of Brink.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

I see, thank you.

So its my only option then? Reinstalling windows?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

A refresh is not a full reinstall of Windows, it is more like a first aid kit that Windows has built in that in some instances allows Windows to heal/repair itself, it depends on the damage that has been done.

A refresh is both the best and the quickest option but you need to be aware that depending on how badly damaged the registry is the refresh option may not work which would mean that you would need to back up all of your data and then do a clean install of Windows.

krepandus

krepandus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Understood. I dont have the windows copy with me atm so Im gonna do it in a few days and get back at you. Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You do not need any Windows media for a Refresh as the setting is built into the present OS that is installed.

FWIW: You can download a Windows 10 ISO for free direct from Microsoft here