Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop icons no longer work. ?

- - - - -

Best Answer batpark , 15 December 2018 - 09:51 PM

several hours later:  After powering OFF and then back ON I no longer experience the behaviour described above. I CAN activate apps by clicking on the desktop icons. And I CAN also launch apps... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

My W10 desktop PC contains two dozen icons (like Google Chrome and Open Office Write) and I used to be able to activate an app by double clicking its icon. But no longer. Now, double clicking does nothing. I can't get to Chrome or Open Office by clicking its icon. YET I <can> activate Google Chrome or Open Office by clicking its small icon on the horizontal bar (the Start bar?) at the very bottom of the screen.

Can someone see what's going on here? Thanks. ....batpark

Advertisements

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Additional facts that may be relevant:

1. Nothing happens when I press the Windows key (to the right of Ctrl).

2. Nothing happens when I left-click the mouse when over the Windows symbol at the far left of the System bar at the bottom of the screen.

3. I am unable to switch from the Desktop to the Start screen (as I was before).

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

And I see that I can not drag any of the desktop icons with my mouse. 

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
✓  Best Answer

several hours later:  After powering OFF and then back ON I no longer experience the behaviour described above. I CAN activate apps by clicking on the desktop icons. And I CAN also launch apps by clicking the small icons in the Task Bar.

So don't waste time on my problems; please ignore my request for help (at least for now).

Thanks. ....batpark

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Thanks for letting us know

:thumbsup:

Glad it's all OK now.

A reboot will often do the trick, I had the same thing on one of my computers and the reboot sorted it all out..... I think it may have been connected with a recent Win update (but I could be wrong!)

Regards

paws

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Just remember that when you have some weird stuff happening especially on a computer try a reboot. That generally will fix things. I go through that a lot on my Win 7. Reason being is I am doing a lot of research for my ancestors so I'm on the internet a lot. My computer will slow down and have issues changing web pages or loading web pages. A reboot resolves it.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

123Runner: Thanks for reminding me. ... batpark