Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Signal Messenger Setup

Apps Smartphone Messenger Security

• Please log in to reply

Triangle Society

Triangle Society

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

I tried to install the Signal Messenger on my android 8.0 device, but somehow it's not working.
I can istall the App, but when it comes to registering my phone number nothing happends. I typed it in and tapped on register. The App shows that it is loading, but nothing happends. I waited for 10 minutes, but still nothing.

Things you need to know:

- I have no google Account so I downloaded the Apk from Apk pure

- After tapping on register a smal window from google play games pops up that says it wants more privileges, but since I have no account that doesn't make any sense.
I saw it on other apps as wenn, but they still worked after klicking it away

- So, do you need a google account to use Signal?

Thanks for any answers

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_GooglePlayServices.jpg

Edited by Triangle Society, 04 March 2019 - 04:19 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Make sure you are downloading the latest version of Signal.

Wikipedia: Signal (software)

3. Limitations

3.1    Android specific

From February 2014 to February 2017, Signal's official Android client required the proprietary Google Play Services because the app was dependent on Google's GCM push messaging framework.

In March 2015, Signal moved to a model of handling the app's message delivery themselves and only using GCM for a wakeup event.

In February 2017, Open Whisper Systems implemented WebSocket support into the client, making it possible for it to be used without Google Play Services.