Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Laptop is Super Slow Windows 10

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

My HP laptop is very slow to start up and open for example Google search or Word etc. I feel it has run very slow since new. When I returned it the guy said it had a lot of updates to do hence running slow. Why after a number of months is it no better?

The laptop runs Windows 10 (I think). It has Avira Anti - Virus Free version.

Grateful for any help to make this thing go a bit quicker.

TIA

Stuart

Edit: Yes, Windows 10 Home

Edited by FXRStuarty, 08 March 2019 - 10:15 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Hi,

Thanks for offering to assist me.

I downloaded Speccy and ran the program. The URL is shown below

http://speccy.pirifo...Hk14R5NfEMjkucj

I hope I have carried out the instruction correctly and you can read the url.

Thanks again for assisting me.

I eagerly await your further update.

Stuart

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Stuart,

Only two things that I can see in Speccy (apart from updates that have failed to install) is that you only have the one stick of RAM which means that it is only running in single channel mode which is half of the speed that it is capable of, this also results in most of your RAM being used which again slows down the performance.

Being a HP you will have a certain amount of bloatware on the SSD so we can check that at some point but to begin with can I suggest that you get rid of Avira as you do not need it, see explanation below.

RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-35)

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 77 %
Total Physical: 3.92 GB
Available Physical: 910 MB
Total Virtual: 5.54 GB
Available Virtual: 1.84 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules: 1
Slot #1
Type: Unknown
Size: 4096 MBytes
Manufacturer: Micron Technology

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

Having more than one AV installed on your computer is bad, it will slow down the computer, cause internet connection problems and leave you with no AV protection at all if they cancel each other out as they fight for resources.

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

Avira uninstall instructions here

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hello Stuart,

Only two things that I can see in Speccy (apart from updates that have failed to install) is that you only have the one stick of RAM which means that it is only running in single channel mode which is half of the speed that it is capable of, this also results in most of your RAM being used which again slows down the performance.

Being a HP you will have a certain amount of bloatware on the SSD so we can check that at some point but to begin with can I suggest that you get rid of Avira as you do not need it, see explanation below.

RAM

Physical Memory
SPD
Slot #1

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

Having more than one AV installed on your computer is bad, it will slow down the computer, cause internet connection problems and leave you with no AV protection at all if they cancel each other out as they fight for resources.

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

Thank you for your analysis.

What should I do next?

Should I delete Avira and use the Microsoft Windows Defender? Once Avira is deleted do I need to do anything to activate Windows Defender? Maybe any activation should be done prior to deleting Avira?

You also mention my laptop only has "one stick of RAM which means that it is only running in single channel mode which is half of the speed that it is capable of". What do I need to do to remedy this and have my laptop using all available channels?

I will await a reply to this before removing Avira.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist me.

Stuart

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hello Stuart,

RAM

Physical Memory
SPD
Slot #1

Thank you for your analysis.

What should I do next?

Should I delete Avira and use the Microsoft Windows Defender? Once Avira is deleted do I need to do anything to activate Windows Defender? Maybe any activation should be done prior to deleting Avira?

You also mention my laptop only has "one stick of RAM which means that it is only running in single channel mode which is half of the speed that it is capable of". What do I need to do to remedy this and have my laptop using all available channels?

I will await a reply to this before removing Avira.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist me.

Stuart

I just looked at the Defender Security Suite and there isnt any messages advising that anything needs attention. I will go ahead and delete Avira and post when it is removed.

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

That is Avira uninstalled.

I will await your further instructions.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Oops, my reply #4 should have also included the following below the Avira removal info;

If you stick with only Windows Defender, once any other AV has been correctly uninstalled, check to see if Windows Defender has auto enabled and allow it to update and carry out a full scan of your computer.  

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Oops, my reply #4 should have also included the following below the Avira removal info;

If you stick with only Windows Defender, once any other AV has been correctly uninstalled, check to see if Windows Defender has auto enabled and allow it to update and carry out a full scan of your computer.  

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

Thanks for your update.

Have now run a Quick Scan and nothing untoward was found. In the process of running a deeper scan and will advise the outcome.

What else can be done to try to quicken up this machine?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Let us know when Defender has finished the full scan if you will.

NB: Can I ask that you do not quote every reply, it only makes for more reading and really does not help any, thanks.

Advertisements

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Defender has just finished a full scan.

0 Threats found and 873396 files scanned.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Download and run TFC your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

Post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Apologies for the length of tome top respond. I have been very busy. Sorry.

I downloaded the TFC file. On the webpage it takes me to it says it is not suitable for Windows 10. I noticed this after I had started to use the download. It seemed to go in to a loop.

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Grateful for further guidance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Grateful for further guidance.

We have been waiting on the requested Autoruns log.