Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't Connect to TV

• Please log in to reply

Jackpine

Jackpine

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hello,

I would like to display photos from my laptop on my Sony HDTV.  The TV is not a Smart TV, but I purchased a USB adapter made by Sony that is to be plugged into an HDMI outlet on the TV.  The TV is then linked wirelessly to my home network.  The computer should then be able to link to the TV and I can show my photos.

I was able to connect the TV to the home network, but I am unable to Add device (the TV) to the laptop.  I click on Add Device and after about 1 to 2 minutes, nothing is found.  The TV is on during this process.

Any help to sort this out is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jackpine

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

What is the part or model number of the Sony adapter?  Generally these gadgets require the PC to run some special software that talks to the adapter.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

It's a USB Wireless LAN Adapter UWA-BR100, made by Sony.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Appears this device uses DLNA which requires UPnP.  Seems like the hard way to do it.  Better would probably be the Chromecast adapter for $35

https://store.google...mecast?hl=en-US

But since you have spent so much money on the BR100 let's see if we can figure out what is happening.

What version of Windows are you using?

Search for

services.msc

hit Enter.  (wait a while it takes some time to come up)

That should bring up the services window.  Scroll down and see if:

UPnP Device Host is running  if not Start it.

Also check:

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

Then see if the steps here help:

https://www.howtogee...a-media-server/

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I checked, and UPnP Device Host is running.  I have Windows 8.1.

But I think the problem may be in a different area:  The first part of the setup with the Sony LAN Adapter is to plug it into a USB port on the TV, and then follow the on-screen instructions to connect to my LAN.  When I select Wireless Setup with WPS, I get a message saying a local network cannot be found.  So basically, I can't connect the TV to my wireless network.

My laptop is in the same room as the TV.  And the laptop has a strong internet signal.  (I'm sending this post from the laptop in the TV room now.)

During the setup, I get a message saying "Wireless Device to TV" Found.  But I also get "Connection to Internet" Failure.  (Or similar wording.)  The TV also says "Weak Signal."

Any thoughts?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Thought from your original post you had gotten the TV to connect to the network.

WPS requires you to push the button on the router and on the device within 2 minutes.  If no WPS button then I would plug in the adapter, select Wireless Setup with WPS and immediately press WPS on the router.

Is select Wireless Setup with WPS your only option or can you set it up manually by selecting the SSID and entering the WiFi password?  Sometimes the TV blocks the signal from the router.  There is supposed to be a short USB cable so that you can physically move the adapter out from behind the TV.

I looked at the Sony forum for the device and there are a lot of complaints that even if you get it to work that it doesn't work all that well.  They suggest using either a WiFi extender unit and then connecting the TV to the Extender with an Ethernet cable so you don't need the adapter.  Alternatively you can use a pair of powerline extenders or just run an Ethernet cable from the router to the TV.  If you have a spare HTML jack on the TV then the Chromecast might be the way to go.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I suspect that the Sony forum comments about this device not working very well are correct.  My laptop is about 5 feet from the adapter/TV, and the adapter is connected to the short USB cable that came with it (so the adapter is not behind the TV), and it still doesn't connect to the network. (Actually, it did one time, and indicated weak signal, then it disappeared entirely.  The time that it did connect, I did it manually.)

Using an ethernet cable is probably the easiest and cheapest way.

Thanks for your help.