Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking about upgrading CPU

• Please log in to reply

icelsalation

icelsalation

• Pip
  • 1 posts

What i got is

MOBO - EVGA Z87 FTW 141-HW-E887-KR LGA 1150
CPU - INTEL i5 4440 3.10GHz
RAM - DDR3 Dual channel 24GB total
GRAPHIC - GTX 1060

so problem is i think my cpu can't keep up with everything i do so i want to upgrade to at least a intel i7 but the only one and lastest one is intel core i7 -4790k devil's canyon quad core 4.0GHz at $327 newegg,
so I don't know if its better to just get the cpu ore upgrade everything. Since I can get new assuming faster cpu than the devil's canyon for lesser price but i would pretty much have to change all my other components.
so i'm kind of stuck on that i want the best deal i can get, im dont really like to replace things unless it really necessary.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

"i think my cpu can't keep up with everything i do so i want to upgrade"

Your upgrade choice will depend on what you do, mostly gaming? or mostly workstation?   Download and run UserBench, IMPORTANT you read the user guide. > https://www.userbenc...erBenchMark.exe

How do your results compare to mine, (i'm using the i7)
UserBenchmarks: Game 77%, Desk 102%, Work 73%

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K - 97.3%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 74%
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 111.2%
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO M.2 250GB - 130.1%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 108.6%
RAM: G.SKILL RipjawsZ DDR3 1600 C10 4x8GB - 61%
MBD: Asrock Z97 Extreme6
++++++++++++++++

On your results page, scroll down to CUSTOM PC BUILDER, and click the CPU image; your will see a list of your parts with triangles.
Hover the mouse over the CPU triangle for a choice of superseded ones.  Note, if your MB changes like this, EVGA Z87 FTW CPU (Beta)   CPU is no longer compatible.

Z370, If you upgrade MB, Z370 chipset, CPU i5 9600K, RAM HyperX Fury DDR4 2666 C15 4x8GB, aprox $900

Asrock Z97 Extreme6 CPU (Beta)