Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PWM splitter or fan controller for push/pull on air cooler?

air cooler noctua NH-U12S RGB fans fan controller PWM splitter advice push/pull heat sink

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

I'm going to be buying a Noctua NH-U12S for my new build, and I want to use a push/pull configuration with two Corsair SP120 RGB fans, but I'm not sure how they should be powered/controlled.

I'm assuming that some kind of PWM splitter cable should be used so that they can be both be connected to the CPU fan header for optimal control, but in such a case, would the RGB features work? The fans support iCue, Corsair's RGB control software. iCue works with my Corsair RAM, even though I'm using a Gigabyte board that has no no native RGB software, so I'm assuming that the fans should work too? It's an unusual use case so I haven't been able to find any information to confirm that.

The second option is a fan controller. My C700P case came with an integrated controller that supports several fans, but I'm not sure if having the CPU fans hooked up to the controller for the case fans is a good idea. It's my understanding that the CPU should be allowed to regulate their RPM based on its own needs.

Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree, and someone can suggest a better solution?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Yes, the CPU should be allowed to regulate their RPM based on its own needs. Otherwise and you risk melting the CPU and possibly starting a fire.