Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM upgrading in new HP laptop

ram hp upgrade windows 10

Best Answer phillpower2 , 08 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

Sorry but no idea why Crucial would recommend it one week but not the next, perhaps it is out of stock and they are not intending on restocking it. Quick suggestion for you, using the drop dow... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

dominiqueT

dominiqueT

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello All Geeks! :alarm:  :alarm:  :alarm:

Recently, I bought a brand new laptop from HP store - HP 17z -ca100, with basic stuff in it. I've never owned a Windows 10 before, so I thought 8GB RAM was enough for this laptop for good performance. I was wrong! I turned off some background apps and it worked a bit, but it's still not satisfactory to me. RAM is all the time around 50% used while browsing, while doing nothing is like 40%. My 8-years old laptop used like 30% (but it was Windows 7)! I don't do any extreme gaming, I just use my laptop for Internet browsing, video watching and basic stuff, some digital paintings (but I'm a beginner). I just want to get the best performance for the best value. :prop:

So I decided maybe I could buy additional RAM, but I don't really know nothing about this topic :( I have AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, 8GB DDR4- 2400 SDRAM. I was considering one brand C*****L, they have a RAM finder on website and something weird happened. I tried it a week ago and it showed me that I could buy for my laptop a 8 GB RAM - model number 

CT8G4SFS824A (I didn't have money back then, so I just saved the link). Yesterday I wanted to buy it and now it says this RAM won't work on my laptop! The website now displays the match for my laptop is 2x8GB kit or 4GB. I don't want to spend too much on my upgrade, cause I don't feel like I need it, so I thought optimal would be 8 GB (4 GB seems too small and buying all kit is too expensive to me). I don't have to buy from this particular brand, but I just don't know which other brand would match with my laptop and would be 8GB RAM. Please, help!  :upset:  :upset:

Also another question: is it difficult to install it on my own? I can't really do that and my husband is afraid to do that, too. Any advices? Thanks a lot for any help :killcomp:

(Sorry for my English, it's not my first language :laughing: )

Attached Thumbnails

• Capturejnkjlk.JPG
  • Captureml.JPG
  • Capturenlk.JPG
  • Capture.JPG
  • Capture2.JPG
  • Capture3.JPG

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:welcome:   dominiqueT,

Great info provided in your OP  :thumbsup:

I bought a brand new laptop from HP store - HP 17z -ca100, with basic stuff in it. I've never owned a Windows 10 before, so I thought 8GB RAM was enough for this laptop for good performance. I was wrong! 

When it comes to performance issues on out of the box new brand name computers there are two well known causes, bloatware on the storage device and the fact that they cheap out on the RAM by using a single stick of larger capacity memory as opposed to using two sticks of a smaller capacity, you may have 8GB of RAM but because it is only a single stick it is only working in single channel mode which is 50% of the spec that it is capable of, 1200 as opposed to 2400MHz in this instance.

I was considering one brand C*****L, they have a RAM finder on website and something weird happened. I tried it a week ago and it showed me that I could buy for my laptop a 8 GB RAM - model number 

CT8G4SFS824A (I didn't have money back then, so I just saved the link). Yesterday I wanted to buy it and now it says this RAM won't work on my laptop! The website now displays the match for my laptop is 2x8GB kit or 4GB.

Are you sure that CT8G4SFS824A is not just out of stock at Crucial in the part of the world where you are, the word that suggests that this is the case is "kit" one of the sticks in the kit would be appropriate for you to use but being sold as a kit means that they cannot be split,

Did you use the drop down tab in the top right hand corner of the Crucial home page and select the country in which you are in.

Newegg have single 8GB sticks of Crucial here it is CT8G4SFD824A as opposed to CT8G4SFS824A but the RAM is all good for your notebook.

Check the HP PartSurfer info here if you need to.

Fitting RAM is not difficult in most modern notebooks as it tends to only require the removal of a cover on the base of the notebook and making sure that all safety and anti static precautions are followed, everything you need to know courtesy of HP here

Just a fyi CT8G4SFS824A is available from Crucial here in the UK here so it is still available in some parts of the world

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Fitting RAM is not difficult in most modern notebooks as it tends to only require the removal of a cover on the base of the notebook and making sure that all safety and anti static precautions are followed, everything you need to know courtesy of HP here

Unfortunately this is less and less common on newer machines we have almost to disassembly the machine just to add more memory!

In my opinion 8GB is enough for a simply usage (web, Office), Windows 10 uses memory differently so its normal the difference you see. Like Phill pointed out usually the problem is all the crap that the manufacture installs from factory on the machine, many things that you will never use! doing a fresh install of Windows 10 usually helps on this problem.

In terms of upgrade I think you will notice a big improvement by adding a M.2 SATA SSD instead of the RAM.

According to this page https://store.hp.com...ional-3qb09av-1the machine supports a internal M.2 Sata SSD so you can keep the existent HDD.

dominiqueT

dominiqueT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

:welcome:   dominiqueT,

Great info provided in your OP  :thumbsup:

I bought a brand new laptop from HP store - HP 17z -ca100, with basic stuff in it. I've never owned a Windows 10 before, so I thought 8GB RAM was enough for this laptop for good performance. I was wrong! 

When it comes to performance issues on out of the box new brand name computers there are two well known causes, bloatware on the storage device and the fact that they cheap out on the RAM by using a single stick of larger capacity memory as opposed to using two sticks of a smaller capacity, you may have 8GB of RAM but because it is only a single stick it is only working in single channel mode which is 50% of the spec that it is capable of, 1200 as opposed to 2400MHz in this instance.

I was considering one brand C*****L, they have a RAM finder on website and something weird happened. I tried it a week ago and it showed me that I could buy for my laptop a 8 GB RAM - model number 

CT8G4SFS824A (I didn't have money back then, so I just saved the link). Yesterday I wanted to buy it and now it says this RAM won't work on my laptop! The website now displays the match for my laptop is 2x8GB kit or 4GB.

Are you sure that CT8G4SFS824A is not just out of stock at Crucial in the part of the world where you are, the word that suggests that this is the case is "kit" one of the sticks in the kit would be appropriate for you to use but being sold as a kit means that they cannot be split,

Did you use the drop down tab in the top right hand corner of the Crucial home page and select the country in which you are in.

Newegg have single 8GB sticks of Crucial here it is CT8G4SFD824A as opposed to CT8G4SFS824A but the RAM is all good for your notebook.

Check the HP PartSurfer info here if you need to.

Just a fyi CT8G4SFS824A is available from Crucial here in the UK here so it is still available in some parts of the world

Thanks for your detailed reply! So the weird thing is that they display "out of stock" matches for my laptop too, but Idk why they stopped displaying 8 GB option. I use Crucial US website (I live in the US). This 8GB is available also on the Amazon website, but I was just hesitating with a buy, because Crucial claimed it's not a match for my laptop anymore. So it would be okay to use it, even though they don't claim it fits anymore? How to make sure about anti static thing?

Which one is better, the CT8G4SFD824A or CT8G4SFS824A?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by dominiqueT, 08 August 2019 - 09:58 AM.

dominiqueT

dominiqueT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Unfortunately this is less and less common on newer machines we have almost to disassembly the machine just to add more memory!

In my opinion 8GB is enough for a simply usage (web, Office), Windows 10 uses memory differently so its normal the difference you see. Like Phill pointed out usually the problem is all the crap that the manufacture installs from factory on the machine, many things that you will never use! doing a fresh install of Windows 10 usually helps on this problem.

In terms of upgrade I think you will notice a big improvement by adding a M.2 SATA SSD instead of the RAM.

According to this page https://store.hp.com...ional-3qb09av-1the machine supports a internal M.2 Sata SSD so you can keep the existent HDD.

Thank you for reply! I heard about those SSD discs, but I don't want to spend too much on my upgrade :(

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Thank you for reply! I heard about those SSD discs, but I don't want to spend too much on my upgrade :(

A 250GB SSD will cost you around $50 but you will not regret it

https://www.crucial..../ct250mx500ssd4

https://www.amazon.c...B/dp/B073SBV3XX

Edit: I don't recommend buying an SSD of smaller capacity...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
✓  Best Answer

Sorry but no idea why Crucial would recommend it one week but not the next, perhaps it is out of stock and they are not intending on restocking it.

Quick suggestion for you, using the drop down tab in Crucial, change your location to UK and then scan your notebook to see what is suggested.

Both sticks of RAM are virtually identical but the CT8G4SFD824A being dual ranked gives it a slight improvement in performance.

Anti static precautions include grounding yourself on something metal like a household radiator to get rid of any charge in the body.

Does your computer have a memory service bay cover on the base of the notebook.

Can I ask that you do not quote every reply, it really does not help any and just makes for unnecessary reading, thanks.

dominiqueT

dominiqueT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'm sorry for quoting every reply  :upset:

Yes it has a bay cover, but it takes like whole bottom of my laptop. Thanks for all help, guys! I think my question is answered now  :geek:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

No need for any apology, many folk do it thinking that it is being helpful.

Did you do the check that I suggested involving changing the location using the Crucial drop down tab.

You are welcome btw  :)

dominiqueT

dominiqueT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Yes, Crucial UK shows more options than US website, so yes, that was very helpful! Thanks a lot for all!  :spoton:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Were there any 8GB sticks for you when you ran the UK scan.

You are welcome  :)