Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Entertainment

• Please log in to reply

raburgeson

raburgeson

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Having Microsoft on all these computers though out time I have a collection of things. One thing is missing. I bought a full home copy of Windows XP from Walmart no less. It had both 32 and 64 bit ops on it. The XP disk got sent in to Microsoft because they thought I was using a pirated version. I was not! Wisely I sent them a picture of the box with serial number on it and wrote the number on the disk. I never got this disk back. I still have the box with the number. I had a chance to got with a security software firm to D.C. and while there I told some engineers about the problem. They handed me a box containing Windows 9 which included a book patting themselves on the back, install instructions, a very long survey, and the serial number and rights to use the program after filling it out completely. The next 6 days I ran that operating system ragged. I had not problems and reported it was very stable. I updated it through the Microsoft site. 2 months later I tried to update and the Microsoft site told me I was running an unrecognized software. I don't use that computer now, It is stored in case I need an emergency replacement. No I won't sell it not even to Microsoft. Microsoft has always treated me well and I treat them kindly back. Just want to point out to you that there are some very interesting operating systems out there that happen purely by chance. As a retro gamer I will replace the Acer running XP and have a new machine for less than the price of XP. After all I still have the number.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

They handed me a box containing Windows 9 which included a book patting themselves on the back, install instructions, a very long survey, and the serial number and rights to use the program after filling it out completely.

There actually was never a Windows 9. There’s also the fact that the name of each Windows release does not actually match the real version number. For example:

Windows NT = version 4.0
Windows 2000 = version 5.0
Windows XP = 5.1
Windows Vista = 6.0
Windows 7 = 6.1
Windows 8 = 6.2
Windows 8.1 = 6.3
Windows 10 = 6.4

raburgeson

raburgeson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Let's make that there was never a Windows 9 released. Windows 9 is well and living in my attic. Time dragged on an incredible period before they released Windows 10. I got a copy, test copy. They dropped the op and went with another copy under development. 8.1 was just a bug fix and all updates were included. There were a couple game changes and added tools but, 8.1 is still just 8 barely modified. If truth be known 8.1 is just what they used to call service pack 2. In any case 8, 8.1, and, 10 are completely hated at my house and no price was to high to get them off the new machines  we bought. We ended up buying 4 copies of 7 to make sure we did not use them. That story is on another post here and I won't repeat it. It was in a reply to going back to Windows 7 done earlier this morning. Those numbers reflect the release dates only. They have marvelous things they trash every day, They have a full 64 and 128 bit DOS they will not release right now. No luck on getting either. They have a program way better than defender for government contract holders. Someday that may become a new release of Defender by the way or at least some of the code may appear in Defender. Microsoft is a big company that protects its code well. I have a ton of copies of Linux and have never used it, I did try Lindows once. It is on disk around here somewhere. DOS still exists in Windows. You just have to know where to find it. I would love to add the missing commands to the folder. So, if I can just get a hold of the 64 bit DOS, you know how it goes!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Umhmm. Related to Trump eh? ;)

WolandP

WolandP

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I really love Win10 and its performance is the best comparing with other versions.