Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VGA computer out to Smart TV

Adapters. VGA HDMI

• Please log in to reply

miketromv

miketromv

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi all

I hope I get this right but I am looking to connect my pc which is about 7 years old to an LG smart TV to act as a monitor and TV.

There is no HDMI socket on the computer and no VGA socket on the TV. I have been doing this with my old Sony Bravia for about 4 years as it has a VGA socket on the TV. I have bought an HDMI male to VGA female adapter but the TV is not recognising or receiving any signal from this when I try to plug the VGA to VGA lead in. Can anyone recommend any ways round this or know of the best hardware to buy at a reasonable price to get this sorted please?

Is there some sort of power cable that needs to be attached or the like do you know?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Mike

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

to go from VGA to HDMI you have to actually have an active converter, not just a cable. it's going from an analog signal to a digital signal and that can't be done just in the wire.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I've  used this one in particular before and it works as expected.

you do have to make sure it's a VGA to HDMI converter and NOT an HDMI to VGA converter (which are more common). the VGA to HDMI converters will generally have  a female HDMI connector on them instead of a male connector, and almost always have some kind of audio connector to get the sound in to the HDMI connection since VGA doesn't carry sound.