Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crackling sound from Samsung soundbar (HW-650W)

• Please log in to reply

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hello,

I've connected my Samsung 55Q8F TV to HW-650W soundbar and it's making noises like in this video(Vinyl crackling sounds). The TV itself is connected to my PC(Win 10). I've been enjoying the sounds for a year but in the recent weeks I've noticed the sound cracking at certain places of a music or even "Run as administrator" opening window. The cracking sound is really short, lasts less than a second(rarely more), but I've been listening to a music daily and at certain songs it's more common.
The thing is, that is happening only when I am using the PC mode and running sounds from it, else- the TV Youtube app or even connected via bluetooth to my phone and playing the music, all seems to be clean and fine.

Things I've tried:

1. Reinstalled windows in general
2. Updated drivers(All, sound including)
3. Tried a few HDMI cables(connected via ARC) and even optical cable
4. Removed all sound enhancements, removed exclusive control of programs

Link for the sound example :https://www.youtube....h?v=41lrxMvhBdc

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello zapuxas098,

There's a topic related to what you're describing. See if any help or ideas are useful.

https://us.community...-tv/td-p/218148

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Checked it, the software update of 1230 was the solution for most of them. Yet mine is at 1290(The latest is 1290.4), but the TV says I am all up to date.
I've tried unplugging my soundbar, the TV is making the same crackling sounds itself, so the TV must be the issue, not the soundbar. I also tried Youtube app on the TV with just it's speakers, all was clear and smooth, not a single crackling sound, confirmed again.
So the PC mode, when running Windows- only then appears. I also tried self-diagnosis, TV ran the sound test, I haven't heard anything wrong during it and I did it multiple times.
I wonder, can it be my new GPU? I bought 5700XT Red Devil edition (it's connected via HDMI to OneConnect box and that to TV). And yes, I've tried changing the HDMI cable. Unless I need some ultra high quality one...

Edited by zapuxas098, 29 December 2019 - 02:35 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I suspect you covered these items the person talks about in this video..

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I've done most of them but just tried all he did again, except that I have power throttling on SystemInterrupts, but yet the Latency program said all is good.

It's slightly better right now but still I hear some pops time by time just shorter and more rarely so far.

I've also disabled all other sound sources in the playback menu such as Digital Display Audio ones and such. Left only Samsung(High definition AMD audio device) which I am using to play sounds.

Edited by zapuxas098, 29 December 2019 - 04:43 PM.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I've been living with that for a while, got used, but currently downloaded some new songs and there are moments when the song gets quieter and then those pops and cracks just touches my nerves.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Anyone else have some other ideas what to do? Thanks in advance!

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello zapuxas098,

Sorry you're still having issues here,,,

What about posting in the Samsung community. Might be worth a shot if no one else chimes in here..

https://eu.community...lems/m-p/183665

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hey,

I've made a post there too, so far no replies. And the link of yours, they were having some different kind of issue. The difference is not the soundbar only, I am also having the same exact crackling sounds even from the TV speakers. So it can't really be the soundbar I suppose. In conclusion, the PC connected to my TV is causing the crackling. Now must specify the issue whether it's the PC causing it or the TV receiving the data and causing it through some broken connection or something...

moleman404

moleman404

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hey... I had a similar issue when I installed an after-market SOUND CARD -- in a stock PC ( Hewlett-Packard ) business desktop. 

It turned out to be a pretty weird but effective solution.  

Open Circuit-boards inside a PC Cabinet can actually absorb radio and other waves from the air around them .

MY issue was caused because the PCI Express SLOT was right next to another card-- which was acting like an antenna. 

Some semi-rigid SHIELDING material and some tape -- problem solved...  :prop:  

Advertisements

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I found some new clues for the issue.
It's totally the PC making this issue, not the TV nor soundbar.

I figured out, once I warm up my pc, run a game or something, all the crackling noise disappear. Could this be some lack of voltage issue while PC is still cold?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

No. Voltage is constant its the pressure that pushes / moves current through any conductor and its level does not change over a certain warm up time.

Maybe a capacitor issue would be my guess, but who knows where. Capacitors take a bit of time to charge up to a supply voltage, they also block DC Current and let AC Current pass. Audio is generally  AC.

Speaker crackling is almost always caused by a connection problem. Someplace between your amplifier and your speaker driver, there's a bad wire which is causing the driver to move abruptly,

Also  Cold solder joint could cause issue, after warm up sometimes a cols solder joint will work correctly. A cold solder joint is a joint with a bad connection and heat can fix it as long as it remains hot. A cols solder joint can have a dull looking appearance to it.

Those would be My thoughs.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Could a BIOS update fix this issue? I have bought this PC all new, not a while ago though.
Any other possible solution for this besides trying BIOS updates? Or it's all hardware and I can't do much about it besides sending back to the warranty?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Anything is possible. I never consider a bios update unless something is seriously wrong cracking sound isn't . I have just heard to many stories where something goes wrong with the BIOS UPDATE and the computer no longer works...

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Well, we're moving forward with the information, at least we know a few things now:

Cracking is PC sided

Only appears when the temperatures go normal(When it's hot, heated up, no issues)

Any possible ideas what else to try and check?