Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Total Av antivirus . Would you recommend trying it or not ! on Wi

Total AV

• Please log in to reply

dowsp

dowsp

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Total Av antivirus . Would you recommend trying it or not ! on Windows XP.

I am aware from some previous issues I have had that if someone thinks that they have a virus that  Geekstogo refer members clients to follow Malware removal instructions as have been

shown and included in the Malware removal area.and also make suggestions to use certain recommended Anti virus programs.

BUT is it also possible to ask if any of the experts may have opinions on some of the other main types of  Antivirus Programs..or maybe newer ones that have more recently come out.

I am using Windows XP and I am aware that some of the older known programs no longer work on Windows Xp as unfortunately  XP no longer offers updates.

On looking to see if any of the more known AV programs may work on XP...

I came across a list of recommended AV programs and one suggests that it works on Windows XP..

This is one called Total AV antivirus.

Its listed on one website as the top recommedation.

Would any of the experts agree that it maybe Ok to try...or do they still suggest avoiding most AV programs...other than what they refer to on their Malware removal section..

Has anyone tried it and if so how did you find it ?

https://www.topbrand...for-windows-xp/

https://www.totalav..../free-antivirus

https://www.trusteda...ASAAEgLK4vD_BwE

Edited by dowsp, 10 February 2020 - 08:29 AM.

Advertisements

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

XP is not secure to go online with ........... period.

Doesn't matter what AV program you install, you are not ever going to make it secure, and going online with it really is unwise.

An AV does not patch exploits in the Operating System, so any unpatched exploits (and XP has a great many of those), will still be exploitable.

Some may tell you that they have been running XP online for years without picking up an infection, but for every one of them that actually exists, there are a great many more who regularly get infected (irrespective of whichever AV they have installed).

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Thanks for your Comments Gary.

You may well be right in what you say...

I maybe that NO AV programs ever really work 100 % and that may well include what the experts suggest on Geekstogo... (who novices like me ,just have to trust knows better than the majority of us )

I am not sure whatever one does to try to follow the advice recommended...but I suspect that generally it certainly would help improve ones computer functionality..and help remove certain viruses that may otherwise be hard to delete ...or that most of us would not be able to find or remove..

What I have found sometimes in the past, when several AV programs used to work reasonably oK on Windows XP... was that generally they would remove quite a lot of viruses  and some found others that some did not detact..  so it may have been a case of running 3 or 4 or more AV programs and if you did not get lucky early on to remove one that say that was causing a or the  main problem...  you may get lucky when trying running another AV program...and then find that ones computer starts to run better eventually...

But that was a few years ago...

when I tried certain well known AV brands that have since been updated... and since Xp stopped their updates... I think Id tried to run 4 or 5 well known longer lasting branded AV prgrams and they just would not work  on XP..at all..!which I found extremely frustrating...

But to now see that one website that I posted a link to claim that  Total AV  are seeming to now work on Windows XP..

https://www.topbrand...for-windows-xp/

Some times in the past I have managed to run a AV program on even just a quick scan and it managed to find what seemed to be the main offending virus and often improve the performance of my computer...and this can be a big help to then allow the computer to run much better even if later doing more indepth virus removals...

but sometimes I just want to try and get a QUICK result if I get lucky ...rather than having to go thru a longer more  in depth time consuming  process where I may find it hard to take the time required to go thru a longer indpepth process..that could take some days to fully follow and complete...

I thought that I had a virus a week or two ago, as when I was using Firefox browser..as. at the top of the page just below the URL bar... there seemed to be another coloured bar that appeared with some sort of logo on it that I did not recognise... and my computer sometimes seemed to run poorly or slow or freeze up... but for some reason at the moment my computer  seems to have improved and that bar seems to have disappeared..

I am not sure if maybe it could have been a fault with Firefox browser and maybe an update to it has somehow removed it...as I have no other explanation..

unless it reappears again at some later stage and maybe just appears at certain times somehow..

but considering that I do not  have installed AV programs or the more updated security... overall my Computer seemed to have been running at least reasonable or allow me to use it  OK, considering I am just still using Windows XP...which I will be honest with you does rather surprise me... as I thought by now that my computer could easily now be totally unusable...

So maybe XP is somehow protected to what many of us would have thought could no longer be useable at all...

but I am no expert.... I can only tell you from my own thoughts and opinions as to how I seem to find how my computer seems to still work to some sort of reasonable degree for OLD outdated software..

BUT these days generally I maybe well be trying  to be more careful as to what websites that I visit etc.. or I dont use it as much as I used to do...

But I was just asking to see if anyone may have used Total AV and if they found it ok or maybe considered it as one of the better AV programs as some websites are suggesting..

but I dont think generally that the Malware experts on Geekstogo  generally seem to suggest using most AV programs that most of the public see being promoted online..

Edited by dowsp, 10 February 2020 - 03:37 PM.

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

You should never install more than one Anti-Virus program on your computer, because they will both attempt to use similar System resources, and this will cause conflicts. The end result being that your computer will have less protection not more.

It's perfectly alright to run an online scan, since they do not offer real-time-protection, and therefore will not conflict with your on-board AV product.

However, the point I'm making here is that if you're going online using XP, then any AV is not going to protect you.

Can they detect an infection if you contract one .... probably (depends on the infection) ...... but even if they can remove it completely (and some infections cannot be removed without causing damage) they still can't prevent it from re-infecting you again, because the exploit it used to gain access to your machine in the first place, remains unpatched, and therefore remains accessible.

Really, there is no secure alternative to running a supported Operating System, and XP has not been supported since 8th April 2014, which means that it has an awful lot of unpatched vulnerabilities.

In case you think that those vulnerabilities may no longer be being exploited, and that there is some safety in having what is now an obsolete OS, think again. Every month Microsoft brings out updates, which for the most part are there to patch security vulnerabilities. When that happens, the bad guys look to see what they're patching, and then create an infection that will search out computers with that vulnerability and exploit it.

Later versions of Windows are usually derived from earlier versions, so vulnerabilities found for W8.1 and W10 (which are still supported) can often be back ported to older Windows versions (like XP, Vista, and W7) and since they are no longer being patched, then they are permanently vulnerable, and open to exploit.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Thanks again Gary for your further comments.

I may try doing a scan with Total AV...

From what I can recall in the past when using AV prorgams.... Some you need to download or install.. and some can be done direct online via the prorgrams website...which I think I may prefer on some versions that I had used in the past..

some versions were good in the way that they more easily allowed you to target certain files or areas within the hardrive.. that maybe tended to be areas where viruses tended to target...

this could be good as if you later thought that you got a later virus or repeat type one  ..&. you could go to the file areas that you thought were vulnerable and scan them quite quickly...

but some versions you had to run a whole program that scanned the whole computer and at the end if it found some virus threats and listed them.. and then allowed you to then delete them.

When I have tried or used say 4 or 5 programs in the past at times to try and find some virus that was causing me my problem/s...

In my earlier days I may had installed more than one program... but I think later was advised to only to use one at a time... and uninstall  each time if aiming to use another AV program.

as yes I believe using or installing more than one can cause conflict. and its best to elminate that possible problem from occurring by using one at a time..

The big problem having to do this is extra time and effort in doing the processes...which can be a pain..

but at times when I have done this... often using several... sometimes I ended up finding more viruses and also managing to delete more of them.

BUT I was Never aware or sure if deleting viruses could end up harming my computer...  But I Note what you have said ...

I also was not aware of what you have said about  unpatched vulnerabilities... that hackers can obtain information on when Microsoft brings out updates.

I am still not really sure how the hackers may then find vulnerable computers...or how they may then target one... other than somehow maybe they have set a trap on some websites that the vulnerable computers may visit when online...such as if someone opts in a opt in page to download some information or a download...or they somehow find ones email address and send a email with a link that either takes you to their dodgy website or somehow installs some sort of cookie or malware onto ones computer ...

So in ref to later versions of Windows (W 8 to 10 )... are you saying that those versions still have part of their programs that was in the earlier other older versions of Windows like (XP / Vista / W7) and that all can still be targeted...based on older parts of the prorgams still being vulnerable..

which may suggest that generally no versions are likely to ever be fully protected...even with the later AV prorgam versions.. !

If that is the case... I assume all we can ask for is it to be more secure than older versions... but to realise that there will always remain threats and weaknesses in what ever we may use.

Edited by dowsp, 11 February 2020 - 02:43 PM.

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

An exploit, is a vulnerability found in the code of a program or system. If left unpatched, it gives a means of access to your computer. This access can be used to infect your machine.

The delivery mechanism used to facilitate this exploit, will depend on the exploit itself.

It could be a worm (a worm is a self propagating infection that is transferable over the internet), it could be a poisoned link on a compromised web page, it could be a malicious attachment to an e-mail, or any number of other possible methods.

The thing is, if the exploit remains unpatched, then it remains accessible, and unsupported Operating Systems do not get patched.

Now, it's true that there are vulnerabilities even in supported Operating Systems that have not yet been discovered, or patched, and that therefore all Operating Systems have a degree of risk. However it's a matter of scale.  The security risks of going online with an unsupported OS are way, way bigger than those of going online with one that is still supported.

As far as new Operating Systems being derived from older one goes, then yes there is a deal of common code in both, but that is not to say that the newer versions of Windows have not been considerably changed from their predecessors, because of course they have. Security on the newer versions of Windows is much improved on that which was present on XP ....... and I do mean much, much improved.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Thanks again Gary for your further comments and education.

You refer to somethings that I was not familiar with or aware of... and I suspect what you say and advise is likely correct..

If I ever am able to get another computer with a further updated Operating system... It would be good to be in a position of better protection from updated supported  OSversions.

My only issue is... I am not really one who likes having to learn new systems... as overall  I just got so used to Windows XP and it  generally suits my needs or  what I use it for..and overall its simple for me to use which for my low computer knowledge and abilities..maybe a safer bet.. rather than having to keep learning newer or too many other various  systems..not to mention the expense of updating for my type of rather simple type computer  use...

Depending what you use computers for also determines just how much protection one may require or is advised to consider...or having  money to pay for the newer versions also determines things..

I tried using a more updated windows Vista..when my brother gave me his laptop with it on . I think that is one up from Win XP... but  I found it difficult to get used to ...and I getting all sorts of pop ups and weird things occuring that I just could not be dealling with...

I have obtained another PC computer  (rather than laptop ) but not as yet got around to using or trying  it that I think has Windows 7 on it...which I am curious at least to try to see how that compares when and if I ever manage to get around to find time to try and learn it ..

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

Well if you really need to keep with XP, then I suggest the following ....

1. Don't use it for Online Banking.
  2. Don't make online purchases using it.
  3. Limit your time online, and when you are online try to keep to sites you "know" are likely to be "clean".

Which browser do you use ?

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

I note your suggestions Gary !

It is concerning if XP users could be targeting if using Online Banking..or purchases using Credit or debit cards etc.

I used be online a lot , then in the last year or so after some personal issues ... I had been on a lot less.. but lately have been on more than I have in the last year.

I may need to be for another few weeks.. as I have quite a lot of things to research and dea with that I am trying to resolve...but I had thought that I will probably be on much less maybe from Mid March.

Presently I am using Firefox and occasonally Google Chrome browsers...

I am also fairly new to using a Mobile online which I think is Safari that I am not greatly familiar with.. and I use  the phone as a hotspot for connection...as I found it a cheaper way to go online by over half of what I used to pay by broadband Wifi... which so far has seemed ok...

Every now an dthen however I am still getting some slow performance or frozen webpages if I open too many..

either that or I am being monitored or targeted by someone... which maybe there is always someone who can find  a way to snoop on us..  or effect or acess our computers...

which as I have got .older and wiser suspect that there could always be some authorities or hackers interferring with some of us...

It maybe that also monitor this website as at times I have noted it when I have been on this and some other certain websites...

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

The majority of infections will enter your computer with your assistance, you'll click on a poisoned link, or visit a dodgy site, or download some questionable software, etc. etc. etc.

So one of the best ways to reduce your exposure, is to tie-down your browser, and the easiest way to do that is by the use of suitable add-ons.

Below are a couple that I would recommend ....

HTTPSEverywhere ... for Firefox ... https://addons.mozil...tps-everywhere/... for Chrome ... https://chrome.googl...fjekcdonpmejbdp

Privacy Badger ... for Firefox ... https://addons.mozil...ivacy-badger17/... for Chrome ... https://chrome.googl...nkijodmdjhbjlgp

There are others of course, but these two require very little interaction from the person using them, so are suitable for people who are not particularly computer savvy, some of the alternatives are a bit more hands-on.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Thanks for the tip / links Gary.

I was not sure if addons are a generally a form of auto update or just a select choice which they make available as options.

On one device I have if I recall that only had a small disc size HDrive... I used to get regular updates and with so many regular updates..it always concerned me tha they alone

would take  up a lot of the HDs disc space..

I am not sure if browsers still do automatic updates or if they now just make some available for you to select from their website downloads..

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

Browsers (well Firefox anyway, can't speak for Chrome as I don't use it) and their Add-Ons can be either auto-update or manual-update dependant on the settings you have selected.

In Firefox click on the 3 lines at the end of the toolbar, then select Options.

In the General tab, Scroll down to the Firefox Updates section, and choose the option you want in the Allow Firefox to sub-section.

To set whether an add-on updates automatically or not ...

Click on the 3 lines at the end of the toolbar, then select Add-Ons

Click on the gearwheel and either check or uncheck Update Add-Ons Automatically