Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashed (BSOD) Windows - "Memory Management Error"

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 16 February 2020 - 09:27 AM

Golden rule of computing #1 is always back up your important data, golden rule #2 is always create a new system restore point before you make any hardware or software changes and golden rule #3 is... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

I have had a couple of BSOD. When the first one happened I was in the middle of playing a game and it just crashed with the blue screen and a Windows error message "memory management error" (MME). I assumed this was a ram issue so I ran Memtest86 and it did find multiple errors so I replaced the ram with a more compatible set, ram Memtest86 again and no errors were found and I assumed the problem had been resolved. However, playing a game today I had another crash and I assume it was another MME but I can not say for sure as the crash produced a green screen with only a small patch that was blue with the windows sad face just visible, the rest was obscured so could not see the error type but guessing it is another MME.

These crashes have only happened when playing a game and today's crash was just as I was switching a windows/xbox overlay off, I accidentally pressed the button on my controller that brings up the overly so that you can see the GPU process, speed, FPS, etc,. as soon as I pressed the button again it crashed immediately, but this could be coincidence.

As soon as the PC re-booted, I had a look at event viewer > windows log > application, and there seems to be a number of errors due to the radeon.exe software, I am using the relatively new Radeon™ Software Adrenalin which is used with my GPU and can bring up an overlay while in-game, the same kind of overly that I was switching off right at the moment the PC crashed but that was the Windows equivalent, which I did not even know existed until I pressed the controller button by mistake. I just thought I would mention that as in the event viewer log there are lots of red circles with white exclamation marks indicating critical errors and many of them are a result of Radeonsoftware.exe. I am updated to the most recent version of Radeon™ Software Adrenalin. Here is the event viewer log that caused the BSOD today but although there are other similar errors with almost the exact same details, only this error caused a BSOD, the others I was not even aware of until I viewed them today;

Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1788, time stamp: 0x5e2b44b6
Faulting module name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1788, time stamp: 0x5e2b44b6
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000405577
Faulting process ID: 0x278c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5e32c6b94af49
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Report ID: 9a281e6b-989f-4f2f-8f0c-3fd351468c72
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This was my first topic but making a new one here as it is more relative here;

http://www.geekstogo...test86-results/

I have attached the dumpfiles in the attached zip folder and here is the speccy url;

http://speccy.pirifo...Fr1staWGEcRlYB6

*Please ignore Speccy showing CPU temps of 88+ oC (Celsius), it is an incorrect reading, I installed Speccy just now and it was showing temps 80-95 oC (Celsius) when idle but actual temperature is 29-39 oC (Celsius) when idle, every other App shows the correct temp (Ryzen Master, HWInfo, 3DMark, etc,.) only Speccy is reporting such high temps and I am not sure why.

Attached Files

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello peyote,

The video drivers are identified as being the cause of the last crash, see attachment below.

Depending on the version of drivers you have for your GPU, if the latest, try rolling back to the previous version, if older drivers, try updating them, download from here be sure to create a new system restore point first.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Thank you so much! Thank you for taking the time to identify the culprit, can't say thank you enough.

After the crash, I went to Radeon™ Software Adrenalin and there was an update waiting to be installed, it had been there since the 2nd February but I never bothered to install it, I think drivers were part of this install because my screen flickered when being installed, the usual thing that happens when installing GPU drivers so this may have fixed the issue. I will just carry on and see if it happens again, everything has been fine since the last crash so hopefully all is OK.

Regarding my ram issue from the last topic, the ram that was sent back due to errors in memtest86, I tested the new set they sent me and no errors were found both with default speed and at XMP profile speed, no errors at all on both tests so the other set were faulty and did not produce errors due to compatibly but due to a fault. I even used the ram reading programme Thaiphoon Burner to see what chips were used in the new set they sent they are Samsung B-die but the exact same set that were returned due to being faulty were E-die, weird. So now the new set I had to buy that cost twice as much seem like less of a good buy so I am keeping the replacement and sending the expensive set back, it seem like a lot of money to pay when all the difference between the two sets were one is 3200Mhz (CL16-18-18-38) and the other 3200Mhz (CL14-14-14-34). The slower set are now working and fully compatible so I am going to keep them as they are very fast and completely suitable, I also bought them at a bargain price during the Xmas/New Year, I think they were £70-£72 ???, the CL14 set being returned cost £166 !!! :no:

So it looks like each crash was for a different reason, memory issue and a driver issue, or both crashes due to the driver and finding faulty ram was just by chance, either way I hope there wont be any more and its been resolved, hopefully I wont have to bother you again  :spoton: Thank you again Phillpower2 for your help, you actually helped me build my first computer back many years ago when I first joined, I think this is my 3rd computer now. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are most welcome and thank you for the comprehensive update/s peyote  :thumbsup:

Most important thing first, did you create the new system restore point as suggested, second most important question, have you created a new system restore point since you installed the latest drivers, if not do so asap while you know that the system is running stable.

I did not initially look at your first crash dmp as it was dated 03/02/2020 and therefore too old for the information to be relative, after reading your above update I went back and took a look at the first dmp file, memory management was mentioned but the cause of the crash was AshesEscalation_Vulkan.ex, Vulkan if you are not already aware is related to GPU drivers, see info here did you happen to be playing Ashes of the Singularity - Escalation when the computer crashed on 03/02/2020?

See attachments below;

you actually helped me build my first computer back many years ago when I first joined,

My how time flies, glad that I apparently helped you well enough the first time for you to build your own twice since then  :)

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

I have not made any restore point, ever. I will do it now though.

The first crash, yes I was plating Ashes of the Singularity at the time, the crash happened mid-game and it was using the Vulkan at the time. When the game launches you get to choose either DirectX11, DirectX12  or Vulkan.

I will check to make sure all relevant drivers are up to date but anything else? I am glad to know it was only Vulkan and a driver issue that was the root of the cause, thanks for looking into the first crash report. Everything has been fine since so I will make a restore point and hope the last Radeon™ Software Adrenalin update has resolved everything. When I make a system restore point now, is there anything else I should do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Golden rule of computing #1 is always back up your important data, golden rule #2 is always create a new system restore point before you make any hardware or software changes and golden rule #3 is never update stable drivers, see my canned info below for as to why;

Once Windows has been installed, you install the necessary drivers for the MB and other hardware and then leave well alone, drivers should not be allowed to auto update and you should never update any driver/s unless the new drivers are intended to resolve a specific issue that you are having, installing new drivers unnecessarily can actually cause you the very issues that any new drivers are intended to resolve and uninstalling the new drivers may not resolve the problem/s that installing the new drivers has caused.

Depending on priority it can take many months before the driver provider releases any fix and they sometimes do not even bother.

Create the new restore point and you are all good.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

OK restore point done, will make that a habit to create one when ever I make a change. I do back up data but only essential data and only on a USB, never bothered with a restore point before but can see why it is essential. I thought drivers had to be kept up to date, like windows updates, but will leave them alone knowing what you have said. Thanks again for your time and help, fixing and getting to the cause the the problems, thank you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Drivers fall into the "if it aint broke don`t fix it" category in that you leave them well alone if all is well.

Creating regular restore points is even more important since the advent of Windows 10 as Windows now downloads and installs a lot of device drivers,great if you don`t end up with any issues but Windows unfortunately has a track record of installing unstable or inappropriate drivers for folks video cards and causing them untold trouble in the process.

You are welcome  :)