Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Create Windows 10 install USB

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

lyninco

lyninco

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Some of the Microsoft software really sucks. I tried Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool and Media Creation Tool to create a bootable Windows 10 USB but all failed during the burning process. Any working alternative?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

What actually happened, any on screen message telling you what went wrong.

What type of USB device are you using, if a thumbdrive, what storage capacity is it.

lyninco

lyninco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

What actually happened, any on screen message telling you what went wrong.

What type of USB device are you using, if a thumbdrive, what storage capacity is it.

Stuck at 80% and never move forward.

It is a Kingston USB stick with 64G storage

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Odd that downloading Windows 7 and Windows 10 both stuck at 80% of the download process.

If you are running Windows 10 on the computer that you are using to post here, can you insert the 64GB Kingston pendrive into a USB 2.0 port on the computer, open Disk Manager to full screen then take a screenshot and upload it for us, the steps are below;

Just a fyi, not sure of anywhere other than MS for downloading a Windows 10 ISO but DigitalRiver did have them for Windows 7 if the link/s still work, see info here

Access Disk Management via Run.

Press the Windows+R keys to open Run, type diskmgmt.msc in the empty box then press OK.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Laverne Varner

Laverne Varner

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I did it twice,and everytime time i succeeded,the first time i used Rufus,it was about 3 years ago,but it worked successfully for 2 hours on my computer,the second time i followed this tutorial,it tool only 30 mins to complete all the steps.I personally think you will prefer the last tool,you better burn Windows iso to an USB (As i don't think DVD is better).

I did it twice, and every time I succeeded,

Edited by Laverne Varner, 09 April 2020 - 08:38 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thank you for your input Laverne Varner but did you not notice that the OP had marked the thread as Solved meaning that no further assistance was required.

Before posting in another members thread there are at least five important points to consider;

1: You should never post in another members thread looking for help for yourself.
2: Have you read and understood the opening post and thread of the member to which you intend to reply?
3: Has what you intend to suggest already been put forward by another member?
4: Is the guidance that you intend to suggest based on personal knowledge and experience to which you have had success?
5: Posting links to any other tech site or service is only acceptable if beneficial to the member that is being helped and only if the same guidance is not already readily available at Geeks to Go.

Thank you for your understanding

lyninco

lyninco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi Pill,

The issue is still not fixed yet. I followed the commands but the usb is not bootable

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello again lyninco,

We thought that you were all sorted when you never came back!

Can you follow the exact steps in my reply #4 to take the previously requested screenshot of Disk Manager when it has been expanded to full screen.