Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot open pictures on one laptop but on another laptop , the same pi

• Please log in to reply

HaraMo

HaraMo

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Dear

I noticed this today, that all files that are a picture, don’t open, and I receive an error message ,in dutch, google translate:  the package runtime data is corrupted.

That’s the only message given.

When I went to the  other laptop, the picture opened easilay, I’m happy they still open. And I saw a message of bitdefender that runbroker is beend stopped to change the file.

Runtime Broker from c windows system32 runtimebroker.exe

I kept it blocked.

Both laptops have Bitdefender and all options are enabled. Yet only the MSI laptop where I can open the picture without error, shows bitdefender that it blocked runtime broker.

I do feel that the acer laptop, where the issue occurs, is also a little bit slow, knowing it has a SSD drive... .

And sometimes when I reboot the acer laptop,  I see an error message , something about error reading or writing to memory… .

I hope to hear you soon.

I tried to add the logs but I get : Your post was too long. Please go back and shorten it a little.

Waiting for you approval to attach the logs.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I need a FRST scan and the addition.txt file to see what is going on:

• Get FRST from http://www.bleepingc...very-scan-tool/You need to download the appropriate tool for your PC.  If you don't know if you have a 32 or 64 bit system get them both.  Only one will work and that's the right one.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Check the Addition.txt box
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.  
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • It will generate another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.

Smart Screen, Windows Defender and Avast have all been blocking FRST recently.  It's a false positive so pause your antivirus when downloading or running FRST.  If you get a message saying Smart Screen has blocked it you can click on More Info and you will see an option to Run Anyway.

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Dear
As explained in my first message :

The log are to big. The rules from this forum explain not to attach the logs only if I get permission.

See last part of first message:

I tried to add the logs but I get : Your post was too long. Please go back and shorten it a little.

Waiting for you approval to attach the logs.

Edited by HaraMo, 30 April 2020 - 01:38 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I think you are the first to read the instructions.

Please attach your logs:

Attaching is a multi step process.

First click on More Reply Options
Then scroll down to where you see
Choose File and click on it.  Point it at the file and hit Open.
Now click on Attach this file.

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

ok, I have attached the logs.

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Nothing obvious.  I assume you have CryptoPrevent on both PCs.

I assume this pictures are downloaded on your PC and not something on a website.  (You have so many VPNs I'm surprised you can get on line)

Go to Settings then Apps then Default Apps.  What are you using for Photo Viewer?  Is that the same as on the one that works?

Right click on a picture and select Open With:  You should have several different options.  Do you have the same error with each?

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

CryptoPrevent Version 9.1.0.0 , latest free version available. Maybe not secure anymore as it's old, only on the Acer laptop (pictures won't open). but both laptops has bitdefender internet security.

The pictures comes from my phone, from Whatsap.

The VPN's are not always on, one I don't use anymore but other two I do use them  for my work.

photo viewer: both laptops same icon and name is in Dutch Foto's , which mean: Pictures or photo's.

rightclick: paint, and yes then it opens on the acer laptop. Thanks.

How can I fix this photo app? 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Try Methods 2 & 4

https://www.gihosoft...pp-missing.html

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

An alternative to repairing Photos  is using the Windows Photo Viewer which you may remember from Win 7.  Supposedly it is faster and uses less memory.  See near the bottom of:

https://www.howtogee...for-windows-10/

Use Windows Photo Viewer Instead of the Photos app

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Repairing: same issue.

resetting same issue with a remarq: first time I try to open a picture after resetting the photos app, another app start confguring , see picture, it' called GIMP 2.8, and manage to open the picture.

but second time, the same issue repeats.

Run Troubleshoot for Windows Store Apps : after the troubleshoot finished, it says in red: not solved, something about chrashing apps. google translate: Freezing or crashing apps. I rebooted the laptop , and tried to open a pictrue, samme issue.

I also notices that the issue also occures if I: go to settings, apps,  default apps,  click mail then select 'search an app on microsoft store . Same issue appears. and the setting windows closes after I close the error window.

Edited by HaraMo, 30 April 2020 - 09:15 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Let's see if running DISM & SFC can help.  Can take up to 30 minutes to complete.  Be patient.

Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST

Attached File  fixlist.txt   838bytes   195 downloads

Run FRST and press Fix
A fix log will be generated please post that

Reboot if the fix doesn't reboot it for you

After the reboot, try opening a photo again.

Run FRST again as before.  Make sure Addition.txt is checked and hit Scan.  Post both logs.

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Dear 

I tried to open the microsoft app store from seachbar desktop, nothing happens, so I followed  the steps how to repair an app, so this time I repaired microsoft store app.

I tried again opening the store app, it opened this time.

Then I went to open a picture using default app Photo's, the error does not appear anymore and picture opens.

Strange no? 

So Do I still need to follow the DISM and SFC ...?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Would not hurt to run it.  There may be other corruption that you haven't noticed yet.

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

See attached the logs.

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

How is it running now?  Any more problems?