Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W10 Increase Disk Partition Size

- - - - -

Best Answer gpl98a1 , 03 June 2020 - 05:35 AM

Thank you, I just got this sorted this morning, I downloaded some freeware that done the trick. My laptop is updating as it hasnt been switched on since August & then Ill uninstall the programm... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Running my laptop as my main PC is down & i already have a C & D partition, I have cleaned C up as best i can but i only have 30GB left out of approx 75GB, on D there is approx 130GB free out of 200GB & i would like to move 30 over to back my phone up.

I have looked at tutorials but when i get to formating the new partition i get an error message 'partition_basic_data_guid' - is there any way i can get around this please?

Attached Thumbnails

• partition error.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 02 June 2020 - 10:48 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Can you take and upload a screenshot of just the Disk Manager so we have a clear view of it.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Hello again Phil, thank you for responding

Attached Thumbnails

• SS1.png

Edited by gpl98a1, 02 June 2020 - 11:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello gpl98a1,

Sorry to be a pain but I should have asked for an expanded screenshot, can you open Disk Manager to full screen then grab the screenshot for us, we are missing info that we need to see in the above windowed screenshot .

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Apologies, my bad!

Steve :geek:

Attached Thumbnails

• SS2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries but I have a question, how come your latest screenshots do not show the same partitions as in your OP which shows a 47.81GB partition of unallocated space.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Yes i just expanded D drive again as the unallocated part would not format & was just sitting there being a little useless, it was partitioned so i could screenshot the message i was getting

Edited by gpl98a1, 02 June 2020 - 12:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Makes sense now but was scratching my head before  :yes:

When you had the unallocated space, before you tried to format it did you first of all right click on it to create a New Simple Volume, you need to do this so that you can allocate it a drive letter before it can be formatted.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Yes, that is the process i followed & names the new drive 'F' but it would not let me complete & format the new partition

After the following screenshots i got the message i posted in #1

All i could find was THIS but im not sure how to solve it, it may as well be written in chinese  :smashcomp: 

Attached Thumbnails

• ss3 - Copy.jpg
  • ss5 - Copy.jpg
  • ss6 - Copy.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 02 June 2020 - 01:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Strange, try using diskpart the guide for which you will find here

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Okay, thank you, strange would be what i'd get alright - for fear of doing something incorrect as there seems to be alot of commands am i using this to Delete partition, repair, create a new partition, convert to MBR - or something else?

Sorry, probably a silly question but i dont want to end up doing something wrong like wiping data etc

Edited by gpl98a1, 02 June 2020 - 01:43 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

For fear of a mishap please forego using Diskpart.

Golden rule is that before changing partitions you should always back up the drive first as things can go wrong even for the most experienced of folk, it may be best to put this on hold until you have done such a back up first.

Not suggesting that you use AOMEI but take a look at the info here regarding primary partitions etc

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
✓  Best Answer
Thank you, I just got this sorted this morning, I downloaded some freeware that done the trick. My laptop is updating as it hasnt been switched on since August & then Ill uninstall the programme, hopefully it hasnt left any crap behind so Ill do a malware scan & maybe windows defender too.

Thank you again for your help & direction

*edit* just seen your comment, AOMEI is exactly what I used, so simple to do - I usually dont like using freeware though

Edited by gpl98a1, 03 June 2020 - 05:38 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Glad you got it sorted and thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup:

You are welcome  :)