Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HTTRACK Mirror Files Needed, and convert to Wordpress

• Please log in to reply

SKINLC2002

SKINLC2002

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Good Afternoon-

I mirrored a site with HTTRACK and used filezilla to upload the large file to Blue Host FTP.  I then went to HTMLTOWORDPRESS.IO uploaded my zip of the Index, at that point the site made a custom theme for me and I uploaded it to BlueHost and Wordpress.  I totally understand that the dynamic features will not work; however there are products (stock photos from manufacturer) along with the item number.  Originally when I got them to work in the new word press site they static link went back to the original sites address for the picture.  So I did another HTTRACK download and was able to get the jpegs, and request the HTML files be saved without a website name.  I am unsure what filed in the HTTRACK download I actually need.  What I am trying to do use the framework and change a few a few things on the site to show investors and other people what the final product will be similar to.  I am having a hard time because I do not know how to code at all! I don't know if I should take out some of the files from the HTTRACK mirror, or do I only need the index, or the files with JavaScript.  Can someone please help me? I am willing to pay someone to do a screen share with me and walk me through it I am just lost at a standstill, I was told since I have all the files and jpeg if I knew what I was doing I could get it done in an hour or so, but a week later and nothing  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

If I understand HTTrack, that is a utility for downloading any web site from the Internet to a computer directory. The site would be viewed on your computer as if you were viewing it on the Internet. This NOT the way you want to build your own site as uploading all those files and directories to your hosting server is really an exercise in futility without a lot, and, I mean a lot of coding changes to get it to work as it did when you viewed the original site online. The links would be a lot a work in themselves to properly work for the pages you actually want to open. Your understanding of links is needed. Also, there is a matter of copyright if you are downloading someone else's site to use as your own. Especially using any images from the original site. Even editing these images, the copyright remains with the author.

Your best bet is to use a web template that many hosting sites provide within their Control Panel. Or, use any web template whose theme you like from many of the template sites. Many are free. WordPress has many templates. I'm not that familiar with WordPress coding. Rather hand-code my own pages although I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest HTML5 tags and CSS3. Lots of great new stuff.