Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New MSI/Ryzen 7 AMD Build w/CSM vs. UEFI Problems

• Please log in to reply

digitalred93

digitalred93

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance/advice on completing what has been a nightmare of a build. I'm lost in the woods with completing my new build as I'm really just above "clueless" when it comes to CSM, UEFI, GPT, MSR, etc.

I made the plunge, moving from an Intel/Asus build (from 7 years ago) to AMD, using PCPartPicker for guidance. I've installed a MSI B550 Gaming Plus MB with a 3700X 3.6 GHz Eight-Core AM4 and 2X8gb Crucial 16GB Ballistix DDR4 3600 MHz UDIMM. The case is new as well, but according to PCPartPicker (and having double checked on NewEgg), I had hoped to keep my old dual-dvi graphics card (EvGA GeForce GT 630), SSD (boot drive - Samsung), HDD (WD Blue Caviar), and incorporate a new SSD (Samsung) with a fresh install of windows. The MSI bios is insisting that I have to run it in CSM. 

That's leading two big problems for what I had hoped to accomplish:

1) GRAPHICS CARD ONLY USING ONE PORT

This makes only one port recognizable on the card (the 2nd monitor, when hooked up, displays lime green with wavy lines). No matter how much I've tried, it won't let me use the onboard display port for the 2nd monitor. I've lost confidence in using PCPart or NewEgg. I need the graphics card to support two monitors with DVI outputs (although one of them could be HDMI). I don't game, but I do edit some simple video presentations and in these days of COVID, I do a great deal of Skype and Zoom as an online professor. I write quite a bit, MS Word and Scrivener, and I tend to use Chrome (which seems to be becoming quite a resource hog these days!). I'd like to get something that's relatively new and less than $150 if possible. Suggestions for a UEFI graphics card would be much appreciated (compatible with the MSI board and Ryzen 7 CPU).

2) CAN'T FORMAT/CREATE A NEW BOOT DRIVE - CSM VS. UEFI,  GPT VS MSR and the rest of the alphabet

THIS is the larger problem. Once I have a UEFI GPU, I need to address my next concern (but again, I'm really lost here so I apologize if I'm plain out wrong). From what I can glean, the CSM system is keeping the MB from recognizing the new SSD as a viable drive and it won't format or install. Instead, it wiped out my HDD (which was set up to be drive #2 with the old boot SSD as drive #3) and reinstalled a partition on there. I don't want that. I want the new Samsung SSD to be my boot drive. I also want, upon purchasing a new graphics card that's UEFI, to be able to recognize my old SSD and HDD. It's fine if they have to be reformatted, everything is backed up. I honestly don't know the steps to make this work. I'm also concerned that by creating a MSR on the new SSD, that I'm minimizing the space needed in the future for upgrades with whatever Windows plans to do with its next variation of OS.

ETA: Here's the PCPartPicker list with relevant info:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nRVHGq

Much thanks and patience for any and all help.

Edited by digitalred93, 15 November 2020 - 08:00 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday digitalred93 

I am in Australia, so there may be delays due t a time differnce.

What media are you using to install the OS, USB or DVD?

Do you have access to a working computer?

Is there anything written to the new Samsung SSD? or is it new, out of the box condition?

We should sort out the boot issue first.

Your monitor problem.

This makes only one port recognizable on the card (the 2nd monitor, when hooked up, displays lime green with wavy lines). No matter how much I've tried, it won't let me use the onboard display port for the 2nd monitor.

The MB graphics ports are dependent on a iGPU contained in the CPU.   The Ryzen 7 3700X > Integrated Graphics = None

You will be using the GT 630 and here's hoping there will be a compatible driver for W10. 

digitalred93

digitalred93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Thank you so much for replying. You were right about updating the driver. I have both screens working again, thankfully. Mind you, this is using my old graphics card AND the old C drive. 

I had created a USB flash for Windows 10. I do also have a DVD prepped just in case. FYI, when I refer to my "old C drive," I'm referring to my Samsung 250 gb that had windows installed on my old Asus/Intel system. It's working on the new system, but as mentioned before, I am wanting to do a fresh install of Windows on a new Samsung 500 SSD. It seems to me that all roads first lead to getting an updated graphics card that handles UEFI. After that, I'm completely clueless on the GPT, MBR, etc. 

Sidebar: I'm shopping graphics cards now. I'm limited on a few fronts: 

1) Compatibility to the MB/CPU

2) Preferably no longer than 170mm (same size as my old card) - it seems the motherboard/case won't have room for much more than this)

3) Preferably no more than $200

I'm not a gamer, but I heavy multi-tasking, edit videos, and do a boatload of video conferencing. I 'would' like to consider going into a bit of gaming such as WoW, but I'm never going to be a big gamer. Not enough hours in the day, I'm afraid. 

I've found 3 that might fit the bill and would value your thoughts (or any other suggestions):

1. Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Fan Edition DVI-D HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics Card
  2. GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX 12 GV-N105TD5-4GD 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Cards
  3. MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 128-Bit HDMI/DP 4GB GDRR5 HDCP

Anyways, thanks in advance for your help. Much appreciated.

Edited by digitalred93, 16 November 2020 - 09:28 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the detailed info.

Running your old C drive OS will not have the correct drivers for the new MB, although it will run, you might get some glitches.

How much of a rush are you to do a clean install?   We can do a fresh install, using your old GPU and add a new one later?   Buy a new GPU, then fresh install of Windows?

Have you used/written to the new SSD/ or is it still out of the box condition?

Have you backed up all the Data you require?

Did you use the Windows Creator Tool for the USB installer?   

Did you download the same version to match your Windows product key?

Please have a read through this article, has links for questions you may have.   Let us know what type of  account you want to use, Local or Microsoft.

https://answers.micr...93-17378d93e587

I will into a GPU for you. 

digitalred93

digitalred93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Greetings and once again, thanks for sticking with me on this. Look forward to your recommendation on a new GPU. To answer your questions (and ask a few more of my own):

You wrote: <<Running your old C drive OS will not have the correct drivers for the new MB, although it will run, you might get some glitches.>
I've been worrying about that - would it make sense to uninstall the old MB drivers and install the new ones on the old drive since it'll probably be a few more days to a week or two (next week's a holiday here in the US) before the new C drive is in place?

You wrote: <<How much of a rush are you to do a clean install?   We can do a fresh install, using your old GPU and add a new one later?   Buy a new GPU, then fresh install of Windows?>>

Since I can run the old drive (and now the two monitors -- thanks for that, btw), I'm not in a huge rush. Would be nice to get it done by end of year at the worst. I would prefer to go with getting a new GPU first and then a fresh install of Windows on the new Samsung SSD.

You wrote: <<Have you used/written to the new SSD/ or is it still out of the box condition?>>

I attempted to write to it when first setting things up, but no luck. I have even un-cabled the other drives and while the BIOS could see the drive, it wouldn't let me use it as a boot drive. Right now, it's not plugged in intentionally. 

You wrote: <<Have you backed up all the Data you require?>>

Absolutely. Even the old C Drive is backed up constantly via Dropbox AND to two network drives. I've lost data too many times in the past so I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to saving everything now.

You wrote: <<Did you use the Windows Creator Tool for the USB installer? Did you download the same version to match your Windows product key?>>

I did, but having read the link you sent, I'm doing it again just to be safe. Key-wise, I've been updating from version to version since 95 so I have a digital license account at this point that's linked to my MS account. 

You wrote: <<Let us know what type of  account you want to use, Local or Microsoft.>>
There's the rub. I keep two accounts on my computer. One that has admin privileges and is local. Another that is my main user account and doesn't (as a sort of wall to prevent crap from getting in in addition to MalwareBytes). I feel like I made a big mistake going with a MS account for my user account, but because I don't have a license key anymore and MS has it instead, I don't see how I get around this.

Thanks for that link. I'll go through all those steps now to prepare for fresh install time. I have only one piece of software and files that I've yet to discover a way to backup/restore with success and I've written that company for guidance.

Thanks and be safe. Australia's in far better shape than we are right now (very envious) and I hope for your sakes that it stays that way. My best friend lives down there near the Gold Coast.

ETA: Spelling

Edited by digitalred93, 17 November 2020 - 06:38 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Next time I will number my questions so you don't have to quote me.

Do not uninstall the old MB drivers because there will not be a "roll back" option if one does not work.

Download MSI Live Update, run the scan in Automatic Mode, Please do not update the BIOS while this old OS drive is in use, 

https://www.msi.com/...update-5-manual

Yes, a good move to do a new download of Creator Tool/W10;  To see all product keys installed, download WinKeyfinder, (use > https://www.majorgee..._finder,1.html)places an EXE icon on the desktop.

When you install the new SSD, we may need to an erase before it is used, leave it unplugged until then.

ou wrote: <<Let us know what type of  account you want to use, Local or Microsoft.>>
There's the rub. I keep two accounts on my computer. One that has admin privileges and is local. Another that is my main user account and doesn't (as a sort of wall to prevent crap from getting in in addition to MalwareBytes). I feel like I made a big mistake going with a MS account for my user account, but because I don't have a license key anymore and MS has it instead, I don't see how I get around this.

Providing WinKey finds the current product key, you can fresh install windows under a local account, then activate with that key.

GPU, 

The MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 is the better of the ones you listed, but mostly out of stock, similar but Super on Newegg > https://www.newegg.c...vGWOhtTsb1Uc7Ow

With a GTX 1650 you are at the bottom of the stack, just a bit below par for content creation..   I would serisously consider stretching the budget and buy a GTX 1660, cards comes with 1536 CUDA Cores and 6GB GDDR6 memory having 192-bit interface. This card is around 1.5x faster than GTX 1060 and its performance is comparable to that of GTX 1070. The card comes with new Turing NVENC, which is the same NVIDIA Encoder found on RTX 20-Series GPUs. It is a great card for 4K video editing and rendering because of newer advanced Turing GPU architecture, fast GDDR6 memory and offers better performance in hardware-based H.264 / H.265 (HEVC) Encoding & Decoding."

https://www.newegg.c...8889,14-932-331

https://www.bhphotov...1660_super.html

All my family are in the UK, up north  some am aware of the crappy state you are coping with.   I live in Hemmant, suburb of Brisbane QLD, Gold Coast is an hour away.   Still have a few hotspots.   Government did very well, quick shut down, hard state border crossing, severe penalties if you got caught breaking the rules; that still did not stop the dickheads.  It seems we are still "the lucky country"

You stay safe too, no cuddling the nabours. 

digitalred93

digitalred93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Winkey is my new official favorite app. Thanks for that! Key found and tucked away in a folder on dropbox.

Question on the MSI Live Update. I've downloaded the zip file, but your instructions seemed to imply to not run right now. At all. Just confirming.

Based on your GPU recs, I'm thinking the PNY GeForce GTX 1660 6GB XLR8 over at Amazon makes the most sense. It's a relatively recent release, the size works for the MB, and Amazon will have them in just after Thanksgiving. I've unfortunately got plenty of work to keep me busy between then and now. Once I've got the card, can I trouble you to continue walking me through the process?

We Americans have forgotten that it takes responsibility to be free. The level of entitlement is ridiculous. Please tell me how wearing a mask affects one's life other than to keep you AND me safe? Mind you, the UK hasn't been doing very well, either, but nothing like the level of idiocy going on here. I live in Michigan (former New Yorker) and it blows my mind that our governor's life is threatened not weekly, not daily, but hourly! Blech.

Anyhow, be safe, and thank you for your help-to-date! It's be great to have a "voice" of reason while navigating through this stuff. 

Edited by digitalred93, 18 November 2020 - 02:58 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Question on the MSI Live Update. I've downloaded the zip file, but your instructions seemed to imply to not run right now. At all. Just confirming.

Sorry not clear.   First.  Please create a restore point.

Do not remove existing old driver, Do not perform a BIOS update.

Run the Live Update in auto mode to scan,

In the results window, tick all you want, except BIOS,

Selected drivers will be updated and items not installed will be installed if ticked. 

Yes, the PNY is the one I would go for, just looked on Amazon, not the correct model, it's the overclocked Gamer (GDDR5 memory) and I get 1 available at $272.

The model you want is the Super,or Super Overclocked (GDDR6 memory,) 

https://www.pny.com/...-6gb-single-fan

> https://www.pny.com/pny-geforce-gtx-1660-super-gaming-oc-sf 

You will need to be quick/lucky to get a 1660 short card, well any actually.

Try the linked reseller on this page, I found 5 this morning. >https://www.pny.com/where-to-buy

Let me know when you get the card and I will be happy help, hopefully not teaching grama to suck eggs, but have some tips to clean the SSD without damaging it.

"Anyhow, be safe, and thank you for your help-to-date! It's be great to have a "voice" of reason while navigating through this stuff." 

You are very welcome, an enjoyable pastime for me. 

digitalred93

digitalred93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Good evening (morning here).
Found the card over at B&H and hope its the right one:
https://www.bhphotov...1660_super.html

Question: Will I need any accessory cables to connect it to the power supply?

Thanks again!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, that's the correct model.

You will need a PSU of min 450w with 1 PCIe 8-pin connector.

If you PSU does not have PCIe 8-pin sockets, you can use the 2x6-pin sockets with this type of adaptor (often included with the PSU)

https://www.performa...e-1pcie8-c.html

Advertisements

digitalred93

digitalred93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Sorry for the late reply. Stupid migraine had me down for the count all day yesterday. 

Yep, I have two cables that came with the PSU (6+2). Ran the MSI Update, btw (after a restore point, thank you!). AMD Chipset update and ethernet drivers seemed to be the only options. That's probably because when I first built the thing, I had done a BIOS update using a USB Flash. 

GSU should be here in a couple of weeks. Will reach out then. In the meantime, enjoy what's spring for you (and plummeting temperatures for us).

Thanks -- as always!!!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:  :cool:

digitalred93

digitalred93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hoping you and yours are safe and well.

Semester's grades are in, graphics card is in hand, and I'm busily backing up all my drives. I had thought about installing the graphics card with my current set-up just to be able to narrow down any problems, but then thought I'd better check-in. 

More importantly, I'm game to wipe everything and move to UEFI. To quote Martin Sheen (on The West Wing), what's next?  :D

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday, good to see you back.   All well here; how you going? how long before you can get immunized? 

UEFI is a good move.   When you finished all you backups, post back.

In the meantime, link again for the install guide, > https://answers.micr...93-17378d93e587

What type off account will you use for the install?

digitalred93

digitalred93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hello!

Hope you and yours are safe and well. Has Australia secured vaccines?

I have a few gnarly autoimmune diseases, which weren't tested in the trials with Pfzeir or Moderna, so I've been told by my docs (as well as the foundations for those diseases) to wait until they have more data. Very jealous AND happy for those that can get vaccinated. I hope you get the opportunity sooner rather than later.

Computer is backed up. I have my Windows Key (thanks to WinKeyFinder) so I'd like to go back to having a local account. My new PNY Technologies GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Single Fan Graphics Card is begging to be installed. 

I guess the question is which comes first, wiping the drives or installing the card?

Off to read the install guide. Thanks!