Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 issue clean install twice tried everything online

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

IRISIA01

IRISIA01

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello. I am trying to help my sister with her laptop. Had to go with a clean install. So did everything with usb according to microsofts page, and had to do it once again, because the screen upon restart went black at the login screen, and the keyboard became inaccessible. tried all the ways to fix this online, and nothing, so clean install again. Finally got past windows updates with restarts (i found its usually updates that create issues when they somehow go haywire) updated the graphics and bios, to make sure the screen would not have that problem again. Got basic minimal programs installed all good, including malarebytes, everything was good to go, no problems. 

Then the next startup after shutdown, got in ok, could run every program that i had a shortcut to, from the taskbar to the desktop, however anything related to the power button or search box for cortana would not work properly. while i could type in its search box and bring up my search item, upon clicking on it nothing would happen, no matter what i tried. and clicking on the start power button area beside yielded nothing happening as well. so could not get into any other programs outside of taskbar and desktop shortcuts, everything in taskbar on the right hand side works, but the left with cortana and start, nothing. no amount of restarts or running scans through cmd yielded anything. in fact the scans came across an error during, almost like administrative issues or something, and anything it fixed that it said needed fixed that it said it did, yielded nothing either.

everything else i tried yielded no solution either. so i am here at my wits end. . . . Hoping someone can help. Would appreciate it.

Advertisements

David jack123

David jack123

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello,Its a hardware fault not a software fault. I am also facing same problem .

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Type device manager in the search box and then go to device manager. Look for any ? or ! meaning you have unknown hardware devices.

If so you should be updating them.

IRISIA01

IRISIA01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Already long done. Everything is good in that respect. No faults or error in any devices. Everything up to date.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

What about trying safe mode and see it it works there. Just a thought.  Windows Event viewer shows no errors ?

IRISIA01

IRISIA01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I turned it on today to double check if i was remembering correctly about it not working in safe mode either, however before i could test that, i logged on and the problem was not active. however I am concerned it could happen again, since i do not know the cause. Within device manager there was no problems. I myself have actually not used event viewer before as of yet, so i did just now. i noticed most listings within windows logs under applications is classified under Level as "Information" . There are a few "warning" and a few "error" showing on the day i had those problems. What would be my next step with this information? At this point I am going beyond where i myself have worked with computers.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Perhaps a few reboots fixed it.

As a rule of thumb, assuming your PC is working properly, you can pretty much ignore the errors and warnings that appear in the Event Viewer. That said, it’s worth having a basic working knowledge of the tool, and knowing when it can be useful to you.

see more---> https://www.howtogee...you-can-use-it/

IRISIA01

IRISIA01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks. I was thinking there was more to it than that, that these error logs could help fix the problem or something. So not sure where to go from here . . . . especially since it mentions not all errors need to be fixed?

Edited by IRISIA01, 06 February 2021 - 06:43 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Everything all right ?

IRISIA01

IRISIA01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I guess what i am trying to say is, where do i go from here to finding out the issue is that is happening with this laptop? It just started going haywire originally before i reinstalled windows, it had become corrupt and no amount of system check scans nor bios experiments could fix it. Now with this current issue, and its mysterious disappearance, could it occur again i wonder? will the issue come back? how do i go about diagnosing what is wrong? what are the next steps in this?

do i post all my event errors here you that you are able to tell me which ones are importance and which are not? as that link says that not all need to be fixed.

I just got a little farther myself fiddling and this is what came of it.

Checking file system on C:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
  232704 file records processed.                                                         File verification completed.
 Phase duration (File record verification): 1.29 minutes.
  2695 large file records processed.                                        Found unused file metadata marked as used

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
Deleting orphan file record segment 248C0.
Deleting orphan file record segment 248C1.
Deleting orphan file record segment 248C2.
Deleting orphan file record segment 248C3.
"chkdsk /scan" is aborting due to self-healing command failure: 0xc0000102
"chkdsk /f" will be required to repair the volume.
An unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 126c).

Ran chkdsk c: /r    a total of 3 times, the third time nothing had to be corrected. now trying to get the latest windows 10 update and its having constant install issues, it never completes and the process takes forever and sometimes stalls. all other prior updates went through without a hitch and nothing wrong with windows update via the troubleshoot.

Also ran defrag. it changed its state twice, i ran it twice, and went from 2 to 1 percent fragmented is what it said for c:

Edited by IRISIA01, 07 February 2021 - 01:04 PM.