Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death: unable to fix (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 25 July 2021 - 02:23 PM

If you do not have Windows 10 media and have no way of downloading it you are pretty much stuck, this unless you still have the Windows 8 recovery partition on the hard drive, if you have, you can... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

geekyandhow

geekyandhow

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
My 2013 Sony Vaio with Windows 10 is getting the blue screen of death at startup.

Ive tried restore, reset, restart options but unable to fix.

Can someone pls help me?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the More Reply Options > Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

geekyandhow

geekyandhow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
How do I even go to the desktop? The OS wont load. Im stuck at the blue screen with stop code 0xc000021a. I tried all the steps in this video: using command prompt but didnt work.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry but it does not say in your OP that you are unable to boot up at all so thought it may only be now and then.

Couple of questions.

What happens exactly when you try the options in the Windows Recovery Environment ( Ive tried restore, reset, restart options but unable to fix.)

How much free storage space is on the hard drive.

Did this happen after a recent Windows update, within the past two week to be more precise. 

geekyandhow

geekyandhow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
All of those options just say something like unable to fix, and loop back to black Vaio loading screen followed by the blue error screen.

Im not sure how much free space is on the hard drive but I had not many files installed.

Only thing I remember from 2 weeks ago when this happened is I downloaded some internet download manager and rebooted after that.

This problem has happened a few times in the past and I was always able to atleast reset the pc. But this time, even that option is not working.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

All of the above points acknowledged but one in particular stands out.

I too have a Sony Vaio but older than the one you have and on 16/07/21 Windows updated and after a restart I had the exact same problem as what you have, I got away with a reset but nothing else worked, this despite me like I always do creating a new system restore point before downloading and installing the update.

This problem has happened a few times in the past and I was always able to atleast reset the pc. But this time, even that option is not working.

You are looking at having to do a clean install of Windows 10 and the system drivers I`m afraid.

geekyandhow

geekyandhow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

All of the above points acknowledged but one in particular stands out.

I too have a Sony Vaio but older than the one you have and on 16/07/21 Windows updated and after a restart I had the exact same problem as what you have, I got away with a reset but nothing else worked, this despite me like I always do creating a new system restore point before downloading and installing the update.

You are looking at having to do a clean install of Windows 10 and the system drivers I`m afraid.

I dont mind doing that but how? I dont have any windows CD or anything. Also, this PC had windows 8 originally. Maybe I shouldve never changed to 10.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

If you do not have Windows 10 media and have no way of downloading it you are pretty much stuck, this unless you still have the Windows 8 recovery partition on the hard drive, if you have, you can reinstall Windows 8 from there and then upgrade to Windows 10.

Recovery partition info here

Maybe I shouldve never changed to 10

We were allowed to upgrade to Windows 10 for free but after that it is up to us the end user to make sure that we make a back up copy of Windows 10 while the computer is working.

geekyandhow

geekyandhow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

If you do not have Windows 10 media and have no way of downloading it you are pretty much stuck, this unless you still have the Windows 8 recovery partition on the hard drive, if you have, you can reinstall Windows 8 from there and then upgrade to Windows 10.

Recovery partition info here

Maybe I shouldve never changed to 10

We were allowed to upgrade to Windows 10 for free but after that it is up to us the end user to make sure that we make a back up copy of Windows 10 while the computer is working.

I have a Microsoft surface GO tablet that I can download windows 8 or 10 on, but then how do I install it on the laptop?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

geekyandhow

Bill Gates & Steve Jobs never got where they are today without getting feedback from those that they had asked questions of  :no:

Did you check for the Sony recovery partition as was suggested, you paid for this when you purchased the Vaio, I hope that it is still there and if it is count your blessings that yours has Windows 8 as mine is Vista and I still won`t part with it  :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you geekyandhow is everything ok, any luck with the recovery partition approach ?

geekyandhow

geekyandhow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Not heard back from you geekyandhow is everything ok, any luck with the recovery partition approach ?

omg that worked... thank youuuuu so much!!!!! not sure how i missed doing this earlier.... also thank god im back to windows 8 lol

p.s. the system is feeling laggy/freezy to some extent now... getting the "XYZ is not responding" messages too in chrome, etc...

Edited by geekyandhow, 27 July 2021 - 09:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Glad to hear that the recovery partition worked out for you and thanks for letting us know that it has  :thumbsup:

Regarding the slow performance, being that you have used the recovery partition all of the original Sony bloatware will have been reinstalled, you never had any of this software in Windows 10 and that is why the computer ran more efficiently in Windows 10.

Windows 8 and 8.1 are no longer supported which puts both at risk of malware attack, what I suggest you do is download yourself a Windows 10 ISO from here you want the second option to create yourself Windows 10 media on a USB thumbdrive, once you have that you should upgrade to Windows 10 using the media creation tool at the previous link, this will give you your recovery partition and Windows 10 on USB to fall back on should you have any future problems.

Windows end of life info