Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting Rid of Cable TV

• Please log in to reply

capper

capper

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I am looking to ditch my cable TV. I don't want to pay the monthly $90+ for a lousy selection of channels, most of which we either don't watch or that we can stream live online.  I watch a lot of pro sports and I am able to stream them from various websites free.  

Can anyone suggest how to best set up our 3 household TVs - and with what equipment so that I can make the transition to getting rid of our cable a reality?  Currently we simply use HDMI lines to connect a laptop or phone to a TV to stream whatever we want on a big screen.  Would it be best to designate 1 device for each TV in order to stream whatever we wish to stream?  Would it be best to buy an Amazon fire stick or cube?  Or what about a Roku?  Apple TV or Google Chromecast?  

No idea how to best sort this out.  I do know that there are some very inexpensive Internet cable option available these days.  For example: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Please advise if you can to assist with this transition.  THANKS!

Edit by phillpower2: OP edited to change font so that the post is easier to read, removed an unnecessary external spam type link.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Hello capper,

Some advice here to get you started.

7 Steps to Getting Rid of Cable.

capper

capper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Good information but seems more geared to the U.S.  Being in Canada it's a little different...

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Some Canada related ideas linked below, I found it interesting. Didn't know there was such a difference between Canada and US cable especially when cutting the cord.

River TV looked interesting too.

Cheapest Cable Alternatives in Canada in 2021 - Top 10 Options (flixed.io)