Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing artifact left on screeen after Cut-and-Paste

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I recently scanned some documents and rather than change the file destination repeatedly, sent them to the desktop and then cut and pasted them where needed, naming the files in the process. Later I realized I had an artifact of one file still on the desktop; I can move it but noting else. Trying to delete it gives a message that it can't be found. Changing the screen resolution and/or color has had no effect on it's presence. I have resisted rebooting, as I was in the middle of working on some projects and was unsure that would solve the problem anyway.

Is there some easy way to approach a problem like this? I found nothing in my search, although I know using the right terms can be important and I may have failed there. FWIW, I'm still running Win7 Home Premium, although I doubt that is terribly important.

Thanks

Edited by TooNew2, 03 August 2021 - 10:17 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are caught between a rock and a hard place with this, you can`t leave it as it is and you can`t leave the computer on indefinitely, best to secure all your work, back up the drive and then restart the computer.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

You are caught between a rock and a hard place with this, you can`t leave it as it is and you can`t leave the computer on indefinitely,

Aside from it being annoying, why can't I leave it there until ready to reboot and would that positively do the job?  I hibernate at night with the modem off.

Is there no simple way to find and remove small fragments of code that must be responsible? Just curious; what would CCleaner do, not that I have used it in years?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Aside from it being annoying, why can't I leave it there until ready to reboot and would that positively do the job? 

After securing your personal data that is what has been suggested and advising that you back the said data up is a safeguard as no one can say for sure that the computer will not have problems after a restart.

No code will resolve this and tbh if it could you would need to be versed in code to be able to carry out the task and it is most unlikely that you would of needed to ask for help here if you were prolific with coding  <_<

CCleaner may be of use if the item that will not go away has a file name that can be found by the program, what you describe is not an artefact as when referred to in a graphical way it means that the screen is broken up/distorted etc.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

CCleaner may be of use if the item that will not go away has a file name that can be found by the program, what you describe is not an artefact as when referred to in a graphical way it means that the screen is broken up/distorted etc.

You are correct in that I am not versed in code, but I just wondered if some tool was capable of fnding and solving such problems.

As for terminology, I admit I am no expert but didn't know what else to call it. Just to clarify what I have, I am posting a "snip" showing the icon 'artifact' and another showing the Properties box.

And yes, I do periodically back up both my whole system and more often, my data.

Should I mark this thread as "solved" if there is no other solution besides rebooting?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG
  • Properties .JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
As for terminology, I admit I am no expert but didn't know what else to call it.

Aye, you advised us of this in your OP and that is why I made a point of explaining what a graphical artefact was for you, if nothing else you have learned that much from your thread.

Your screenshot shows a desktop icon and what looks to have happened is an orphaned file got left behind when something was moved or deleted, this should not cause you any problems with the computer being able to restart, this because it has nothing to do with Windows or any system drivers.

Restart the computer and the icon should hopefully be gone.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Restart the computer and the icon should hopefully be gone.

Unfortunately, restarting didn't remove it. I believe I could drag it off the side of the screen to where it wouldn't be seen, but that wouldn't actually get rid of it and I'd know it was there. Are there any other suggestions for good and not-to-difficult procedures to solve the problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Odd, can you remember what program or attachment etc that the icon is related to.

Not around today as I have a wedding to attend, will check back tomorrow.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Odd, can you remember what program or attachment etc that the icon is related to.

I had been scanning some documents to save as files on my system, but thinking back, believe this was either a file I downloaded to the Desktop as a .pdf , or one of two screenshots, also downloaded (but as .png files). I don't remember if I changed the names before or after the cut & paste process.

In any case, it was just a data file, not an active program. I assume the computer got interrupted during the C&P, leaving some small part of the file behind. The pasted files all display properly.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I don't remember if I changed the names before or after the cut & paste process.In any case, it was just a data file, not an active program. 

Gotcha, was thinking that if it was related to something specific that you could have repeated the steps to see if you could add deleting the icon to the process.

Have you by chance tried refreshing the screen, if yes but with no success, couple of suggestions below that I found online;

1 - In the Start menu, search for Explorer, then right-click Windows Explorer and choose Run as Admin.
2 - Go to C:\users\public\desktop and see if the icons can be deleted from there.

Or;

Right-click a blank area of the Windows desktop.
Select Personalize in the pop-up menu.
In the Personalize appearance and sounds window, click the Change desktop icons link on the left side.
Uncheck the box next to the icon(s) you want to remove, click Apply, and then OK.

Advertisements

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Before coming here I had tried refreshing and changing the resolution (which reorganized the first few columns of Icons...), it having no effect on spook's removal, and subsequently when deleting, still getting the same message that the file isn't there so the operation can't be done. If I right click IE and select Run as Admin, it gives me a window with Libraries open in the right main section and the hierarchy on the left, much including the icons being listed under Desktop....with the exception of the spook icon. If I select Desktop on the left so it is displayed on the full screen, all the icons, including the spook icon, show, but once again, operations on it give the 'not found' response.

I am hesitant to play much with the screen, as reorganizing desktop icons can be a real pain, even though I keep a screenshot of the recent versions. FWIW, on a regular basis, downloading antispy definitions causes a few icons, always the same ones, to disappear. I have a folder with copies of those that I can quickly copy and drag back to their old spot. I do need to clear my system of some extraneous files (e.g. game camera pictures), perhaps including multiple old backups. Not now though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I believe I could drag it off the side of the screen to where it wouldn't be seen, but that wouldn't actually get rid of it and I'd know it was there. Are there any other suggestions for good and not-to-difficult procedures to solve the problem?

What about dragging it to the recycle bin, have you tried that?

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I believe I could drag it off the side of the screen to where it wouldn't be seen, but that wouldn't actually get rid of it and I'd know it was there. Are there any other suggestions for good and not-to-difficult procedures to solve the problem?

What about dragging it to the recycle bin, have you tried that?

I have tried that; I can move it within the screen but not off screen nor into a folder or any other entity, the recycle bin included.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I just noticed another interesting fact. If I right-click the pinned Malwarebytes icon in my taskbar, that opens the following window (in this case, MWB now being closed).

Attached Thumbnails

• Pinned Icon .png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Sorry but anything that I suggest seems to have already been tried.