Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer built June now having Boot Problems

• Please log in to reply

MickJJ

MickJJ

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

In June of this year I built a new computer.

The only problem I ran into was a frozen mouse which was resolved.

About a month later it occasionally rebooted itself and went on happily.

This increased in the last two weeks and now a further development in that unlike the other times the reboot was after I had logged on it is now doing it on start up.

This can be from a second or two after pressing the start button until it gets to motherboard code AA – and instead of showing the windows log in page it reboots itself. This can happen 3 - 10 times on the run ending up with one of the following happening.

1) Motherboard lights power / start / reset lights on but motherboard code  LED out, Neither the case or motherboard buttons activate the system, so requiring me to turn off and then on the power switch. This is happening more and more.

2) Goes into Performing Automatic Repair

3) Goes into Windows Log In.

If the end result is either 1 or 2 it goes back to the issue until eventually, I am able to log in.

I have tried booting with all of the following disconnected

Hard drives other than the C drive connected,

Case fan controller

9pin USB internal extension

USB 3 expansion card.

This did not resolve the issue.

Once logged in it will run anything from a few seconds to all day.

Any Ideas, help or advice will be most welcome.

Thank you.

Mick

My system

OS Windows 10 Professional 64bit.

Hardware 

Motherboard - Asus WS C422 Pro/SE When connecting this board as per user guide I connected it to the ATX 24 pin power and to the 8pin EATX power supplies. The motherboard itself was not happy about this and the red LED next to the 6pin EAXT remained lit. As the computer did not boot up I connected that up as well. The user guide indicated its use if only the 8 pin slot was used as against the 8pin and the 24 pin combined. Consequently my motherboard is now connected to the power supply via the three connections.

CPU Intel Xeon W-2255 CPU @ 3.70GHz  10core

Cooler Fractal Design FD Celsius S36 WCooling placed so that the 3 fans direct air out of the top of the case.

Ram 4 modules of 16GB DIMM DDR4 2666MHZ EEC reg  Slots B1 – A1  C1 – D1

GPU NVIDIA – PNY RTX A4000

Power Unit  Fractal Design FD ION Gold 850W fully modular

Case Fractal Design 7

Fan controller

OCTO by Aquacomputer

This also monitors the temperature inside the case via 4 probes

HUBBY7  a 9pin USB2 internal extension by Aquacomputer

Both these items have their own power supply and are independent of the motherboard.

They are connected to the motherboard via the 9 pin USB2 connection in order that I can monitor and control them via its software - Aquasuite.

Hard Drives

WD 1 TB SSD M2 this sits in its own place on the motherboard and contains the OS

WD 2TB SATA - Down Loads and Applications

WD 4TB SATA - All files – music etc. No program software.

WD 4TB SATA – All files and library for photographs, editing etc No program software

Software uploading on start up

OS

Office

Aquasuite

Peripherals activated on start up

Two 27” monitors

One 8” monitor – to constantly display the aquasuite

WEB cam

One USB 3 external Hub running two pieces of hardware – amplifier for all sounds from computer and a scanner.

All other connections are not activated on start up and have had their physical connection to the computer removed whilst experiencing this problem.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Mickjj.

Please reply with your thoughts before making any alterations to your set up.

Looking at your MB manual, page 13;  I think the instructions are a little confusing; "DO NOT forget to connect the 8-pin EATX12V1/EATX12V2 power plugs"

so I think there should be 2 EATX12V cables connect at sockets A and B.

AND

"If you want to use two or more,,,blah blah,, recommend connecting the 6-pin EATX12V3 power plug"

Your GPU does not require extra power, so I would disconnect the EATX 12v3 cable.

You say,

"1) Motherboard lights power / start / reset lights on but motherboard code  LED out,"

Do you mean the Q code LED? if not, indicate the LED in the MB Manual.

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi iammykyl

Thank you for getting back to me - it has been 6 years since I last had to ask you for advice.

1) I see what you mean regarding power connectors.

I did read it as (next to the ! triangle that I needed to connect the 24 pin + one EATX 12V1.) This was also indicated in Chapter 2 - 2.15 ATX connection page 2-7 

I must admit I took the “DO NOT forget to connect the 8-pin EATX12V1/EATX12V2 power plugs" section to mean that if I did not use the 24 pin, I would have to use both. 

I connected the EATX12V3 because the red led next to it was lit up.

However, after reading your comments, I have revisited the user guide and you are right in that that DO Not forget section is the better one.

Would you advise that I use both EATX connections and maintain the 24-pin connection?

Sorry yes, I did mean the Q code.

As I said all worked well apart from the mouse pointer playing up until about two weeks ago when rebooting happened only occasionally and only when I was undertaking a lot of editing tasks at the same time.

Yesterday was horrendous as the rebooting started before, I logged in and as the day went on it started as soon as I switched the computer on and repeated itself until eventually it died whilst leaving the on and restart button lit but not functioning. 

I do have an update which occurred early evening and after my posting. I switched on and the computer reacted differently can’t say what it was just different, but it functioned as it should no rebooting.  One physical change I noticed is regarding the BMC LED (user guide) Chapter 1 - Page 1-16 paragraph 4. Until yesterday this lit up a green flashing LED from the moment that the computer is switched on. Since yesterday it now comes on once it has got to the log in page.

However, my mouse has gone back to playing up - normally fine mid screen but jumps when moving it to the edges.

This morning - booted up OK but with the same mouse problems.

One thing I did forget to say yesterday - I did remove all the RAM - Clean them and reinserted. I also checked the M2 drive cleaned and reinserted. Checked all the connections to the Power Unit and drives all were fine - I did not feel any movement to suggest that they had come loose - to no avail at the time. 

In a period it was working I was able to run Intel Processor diagnostic tool, CPU tester and Mem Test and they all returned an OK status.

Edited by MickJJ, 15 September 2021 - 05:32 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Would you advise that I use both EATX connections and maintain the 24-pin connection?

Yes;  let's start with those 3 connections first to see if you get a stable Boot, make sure to disconnect the EATX12V3.   Se can sort other issues later if they are still present. 

Please Boot using the MB onboard button and watch the Q LED, report it's status.   Are any other LEDS lit.  

Sorry if a bit delayed respoonding, time difference as I am in Australia. 

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi iammykyl,

Thank you for getting back to me. The time lapse is a benefit for me as your advice comes middle of the night, so it is there when I get up fresh and have all day to enact and test.

I have connected the EATXPWR 24 pin, EATX12V1 and EATX12V2. Disconnected the EATX12V3

Booted up with no issues. 

Q LED (CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot) went through its sequence - did not indicate a problem

On first boot Q Code ran through all the codes paused on "F7 Reserved for future AMI progress codes" at the same time the BMCLED1 came on and is flashing after which it continued the sequence until code 40 was shown "system is waking up from S4 sleep state." From there I could log in and all was well including the mouse.

As I had expected the Q code to show AA "system has transitioned into ACPI mode. Interrupt controller is in APIC mode” I shut down - unplugged and pressed the start button to eject any residual electricity, gave it a few minutes before plugging back in and going through the boot process.

All went well as before with the Q Code showing AA.

Unlike when I first powered on following the initial build the red LED next to the EATX12V3 did not light up.

I ran this setup sequence a couple of times with the same result.

Hopefully this has resolved the issue.

As I said yesterday for some unknown reason the computer started running normally apart from the mouse a few hours after I started this post. At around 20:00hrs yesterday evening the mouse also started working normally. Both the system and mouse worked perfectly when I booted up and logged on this morning.

However, I felt that your advice was spot on and was the best way to ensure stability. when I re-read the user guide with those thoughts it did read differently. 

Thank you for your help.

I will be happy to receive any further advice you may have.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Happy to have been of help; hopefully problem fixed. 

Use he computer for a few days to see if it remains stable and no other glitches appear, then report back.

That looks like a high end system, is it for work?

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi iammykl,

Thank you very much.

I am busy over the next few days so will update you on Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

It is not for work as I retired some 14 years ago. - I enjoy computers and every few years I build myself a new one, this my 3rd out of 6 On each occasion both you and Phillpower2 have given me advice and the confidence to continue building. Before that I had two built by firms with me choosing all the components and my first computer was a readymade WP486DX-33C in November 1993.

Since I started building my own, I have based them on the premise that they will be on for 17 - 24hrs per day, Used mainly for photo editing. On this occasion I wanted one that could cope with AI now and in the future.

I always go for EEG Ram, Xeon, Enterprise HD - if prices come down, I will go over to all SSD but 4TB drives are way out of my price range.

I have also stayed with ASUS, WD, NVIDIA, and for the last few builds Intel. At the beginning I was an AMD fan.

As I have never played nor intend to start playing games, I do not have to factor that into my thinking. - not my thing.

I know from previous correspondence that you are interested in different ways of building, and I can thoroughly recommend the 

OCTO by Aquacomputer for those who want to control their fans independently of the motherboard. - It is an inside case add on and has its own power supply Molex connection - temperature probe connectors and LED lighting connectors plus spare mini-USB.

The software that comes with it (a separate download from the company) is called aquasuite and allows the user to see and control the fans and lighting and monitor the temperature. The software also has a hardware component whereby you can check the temperature and performance of all the hardware (CPU down to individual cores, RAM, GPU etc.)

​For those whose motherboard has only 1 nine pin USB2 connection, but they would like more There is the HUBBY also by Aquacomputer. I bought it because my case USB2 ports took up the complete 9 pin socket and the OCTO also requires an internal USD 2 connection to convey information from the hardware to the software. This only needs 4 connections so can be connected to the top or bottom row of the 9 pin.

The HUBBY is an internal add on powered by a Molex connection and talks to the computer by a USB2 connection. It comprises of Three 9Pin connections and a single row USB2 connection The 9 pins consist of row of 5 and a row of 4 - either row or both rows together can be used.

My set up is that The OCTO and HUBBY are connected to the motherboard by the only 9 pin USB 2 port and any component needing to be connected via an internal USB2 connection is attached to the HUBBY

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi iammykl,

Just when we thought all was well – it has started rebooting itself.

I have been working on the computer since 06:00hrs today it is now 16:49

I have only been doing generalised things – listening to music, answering e-mail, looking up printers etc.

This afternoon I was working with one of my editing software – changing key words.

At 16:20 the screen went blue and a message to say something had gone wrong with windows and it rebooted itself just started and it rebooted again. This time it went through to login but just after brining up Edge it rebooted itself.

There was a change to Edge login in that once the previous issue was resolved and it appeared to be OK, and Edge logged in without having to go through the privacy notices and when hovering over my name it says, “your account”. Since the issue has returned on activating edge, I am having to go through the privacy notices and click on my name to get back to return it to its former status.

Since the issue started today it has rebooted 4 times with the time span between logging into windows and rebooting taking place getting longer – it is now 17:10.

Any thoughts

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please run the Windows Diagnostic Tool.

Open the Run Box as Admin, > type performance/report . press enter

When the diagnostic tool has run, a report will be generated; browse it to see if there are any problems.

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi iammykyl,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Just a quick update

My system rebooted @ 22:30 yesterday evening after which I closed it down for the night.

I booted up @ 06:00 this morning.

Rebooted itself at 08:08

System failure notice and restarted @ 08:20

Rebooted again @ 09:00

I have ran both Performance manager and Event Viewer. Copies of which I have attached.

I have also included a PDF word document that gives a synopsis of problems identified in Event manager – I have included just one example of each problem identified.

Performance Manager System Diagnostics as a PDF

I do have screen shots of the complete results which run to 4 more PDF papers

I took one set before the first reboot session today, but it returned a No Problem report.

The one attached was taken after the rebooting session this morning and the system had stabilised.

Event Manager

I attach the 3 PDF Summaries

I do have screen shot (PDF copies) of all the events, in date order, stretching from the 12th September until today 19th Some 9 PDF’s.

Two points I noted today,

On a number of occasions last night and today the system notification that the computer had ran into problems and would be rebooted flashed up.– up to now this was a very rare occurrence.

I also noticed that Kaspersky VPN was showing up as a problem, so I have uninstalled it.

I am away all day tomorrow, so should you reply giving further advice I may not pick up until Tuesday when I will update you.

Thank you and take care - mick

Attached Files

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Mickjj.

I am going to be unavailable for about 10 days, having to have surgery on my arm.   I have requested help on our tech section.   Hopefully another member will step in shortly to assist you.. 

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi iammykyl

Sorry to hear that you are having to have surgery.

I hope it is not too serious, goes well and you recover fully.

Take care mick

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Mick.

Still unable to use my hard properly, taking some time off, will ask phil to assist you.

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi iammykyl,

Whilst it is good to hear from you I am sorry that you are unable to use your hand and hope that over time it improves to a level where you are able to use it even if not to full health.

An update 

Computer started working normally - on the 4 day (a Thursday) I was going to post that all was well and close but decided to leave it just one more day.

In the afternoon I closed down via the system shut down - went shopping came back booted up for windows to come up with the end section of the installation process. I let this take its course and all was well for about 4 hours when rebooting started and got worse as time went on. Friday thru to Monday it kept on rebooting and not once did it get pass windows log in even in safe mode.

Took the computer into a computer repair who I have used occasionally over the past 30years - owed and run by ex Microsoft programmers / engineers. After 5 days they were unable to restore - they replaced the GPU - removed all but the "C" HD's all to no avail still would not allow windows log in just kept on rebooting.

They bench tested my GPU, hard drives and RAM All the tests were positive no failures or warnings.

They then removed absolutely everything from the motherboard and rebuilt the from scratch using my hardware.

This worked so they put it through a 

One hour test - GPU, CPU, Ram- passed

Four hour test -GPU, CPU, RAM - passed

and to day I am awaiting a call to see if it passed an overnight (12Hr test) which was set at maximum stress for those components. If it does it will be coming home.

They have no idea as to what the problem was as every test ran showed no issues. As they said why a rebuild has appeared to work is a surprise. 

The only two components they were unable to remove was the motherboard and power unit as they did not have any identical models to replace and test in situ, whilst testing the ones taken out independently.

One of the reasons why they could not find a problem within the OS or anywhere else was because the closure / rebooting was so sudden and immediate that the computer did not have time to record what was happening so consequently there was no record of events leading up to or during the crash / reboot process.

I was going to post an update once I had my computer back and hopefully fully restored so as to close this thread.

As you have got back to me and hand over to phil would wish to close this thread and if I run into any issue reopen / create a new thread or wait until I have had the computer back and running for a few days?

Finally do either you or phil have any advice or suggestion I should consider once the computer is back.

I have made a plan for myself on its return

As all the software will have to be re in installed I will

1) Before any installation create a restore point.

then

2) Screen shot - Performance manager, Device Manager and Event Manager

then

3) Install one piece of software at a time and then repeat 1 & 2

4) Leave it 3-5 days before installing another piece of software and repeat 1 & 2 just before reinstalling. Repeating this process until all my major pieces of software have been installed and tested.

Edited by MickJJ, 08 October 2021 - 07:04 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Folks,

Be glad to try and help if needed Mick, you have a good plan already in place so will leave things with you while you complete the task, any questions or problems along the way let us know and we will take a look.

GTG wishes you a full and speedy recovery Michael  :thumbsup: