Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen goes black then laptop shuts off

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

UPDATE on the below:

No problems today...until: The PC went INTO hibernation w/an HDMI cable to a 2nd screen, extending my desktop (something I do regularly). I had shut off the TV and turned the PC back on. At the Windows Welcome Screen, I turned the TV back on. The screen blinked (as it normally does) to extend the desktop into the 2nd monitor...then it kept blinking...until it blanked out as described below.

This means it's DEFINITELY display adapter related. But what can I do about it I've got all the updates?

===============

Original post:

My Inspiron 7378 w/Win10 will suddenly go black and then PC shuts down fully.

I updated all the drivers per Microsoft AND per Dell's site. I removed the display driver and restarted...and after it DL'd the driver, I clicked update and got the 2nd error message on the following page (the one w/the red-X error icon):

https://www.intel.co...9/graphics.html

I thought maybe it was a power issue b/c Dell PCs get very sensitive if their AC power packs have issues, so I tried running on JUST the battery, but it happened again. So it is NOT the AC adapter.

Also thought maybe something was loose inside, so i opened her up and made sure all the little pieces were plugged in right. I checked the RAM & HDD, in case those were loose -- they don't seem to be.

I ran WhoCrashed. It doesn't seem to register the issue btw. The report said my last crash was in June. But this has happened a dozen times now in just the last few days.

I've run 2 or 3 different diagnostics and everything passes.

Thank you for any help anyone can offer!

P.S.:

Hibernation and Sleep modes seem to be related to the problem in some way:

I put the PC into Hibernation mode every night, rebooting once or twice a week. Been doing this for years w/out issue. I created a shortcut for it b/c Win10 doesn't like Hibernation. After a major Windows update in August, I started noticing that when I'd Hibernate the PC, the next morning it would boot up as if I'd Shut Down. I thought it was something I was doing or a setting that got reset b/c of the then-recent update. I checked settings, nothing changed.

I realized A Windows Update usually means a Dell update is needed. So I did a check, installed some Dell updates. The problem went away COMPLETELY for about a month...until this week.

Now, here's what I've noticed:

If I click HIBERNATE: Next time I open the PC, it still boots up as if I'd Shut Down formally.

If I click SLEEP: Next time I open the PC, the PC comes on but NO DISPLAY appears; I have to power down/Shut Down & Restart.

So, basically: Sleep Mode doesn't come back and Hibernate causes a full Shut Down.

Edited by Phlegmbot, 20 September 2021 - 01:42 AM.

Advertisements