Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After Windows 10 install Folders inadvertently "Read Only" [So

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,590 posts

All the files seem to exist in your documents, do they?

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,590 posts

Click on the c:\users\fselc\Documents\Shopping Stuff folder and post a screenshot.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Here's What's in Shopping Stuff. Just to be clear, most of my documents are in "Users\default, but the ones in "Users\fselc I "saved as" from the ones in Users\Default so  I could edit them, and now there is the Directory "Shopping Stuff" that we just had copied there with the command prompt.

As you probably noted earlier in this thread I reinstalled Windows 10, and there is a "Windows.old" with the documents and other things from before the reinstall. These are not "read only" and I wonder if they could be used somehow. Thanks again.

Cheers, Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• Shopping Stuff Copied Directory.jpg
  • Shopping Stuff.jpg
  • Shopping Stuff2.jpg
  • Shopping Stuff3.jpg
  • Shopping Stuff4.jpg
  • Shopping Stuff5.jpg

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,590 posts

Can you show me where those files are? (Their location)

All in the Windows.old, by default, are system files. If you have personal files in there, they can be moved to your profile's documents folder.

If you need to remove folders let me know also. For example, since all files from the default account (Shopping Stuff) have already been moved, then they should be removed from that location.

Let me know.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,590 posts

I believe we are not understanding each other. The images you submitted also show folders in  the default account's Shopping Stuff folder. You also need those folders?

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,590 posts

I need to have a better picture.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Alternative download option: http://www.techspot....-scan-tool.html

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

Be aware FRST must be run from an account with Administrator status... If English is not your primary language Right click on FRST/FRST64 and rename FRSTEnglish/FRST64English

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
    L7kNU5y.jpg

• Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please also attach that log to your reply.

If necessary:

Disable smart screen ONLY if it interferes with software we may have to use:

https://support.micr...b1-67fa445a74c8

Please remember to enable when we are finished....

Next,

Disable any Anti-virus software you have installed ONLY
if it stops software we may use from working:

https://www.bleeping...lware-programs/

Please remember to enable AV software when we are finished running scans....

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Here are the Files from FRST. You mentioned that "The images you submitted also show folders in  the default account's Shopping Stuff folder." I looked back, and they all seemed to show they were in fselc. Maybe I missed something. Also, please confirm I should delete the Shopping Stuff directory from "Default." If I move the personal files over from "Windows.old" to "fselc\documents" should I move anything else over?

Thanks, Jim

Attached Files

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,590 posts

Can you show me where those files are? (Their location)

All in the Windows.old, by default, are system files. If you have personal files in there, they can be moved to your profile's documents folder.

If you need to remove folders let me know also. For example, since all files from the default account (Shopping Stuff) have already been moved, then they should be removed from that location.

Let me know.

I believe we are not understanding each other. The images you submitted also show folders in  the default account's Shopping Stuff folder. You also need those folders?

You have not answer me. There is a bunch of htm files under your profile. Are you keeping these there?

• Highlight the entire content of the quote box below.

Start::
Reg: Reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" /s
End::

• Right click on the highlighted text and select Copy.
  • Start FRST (FRST64) with Administrator privileges
  • Press the Fix button. FRST will process the lines copied above from the clipboard.
  • When finished, a log file (Fixlog.txt) will pop up and saved in the same location the tool was ran from.

Please copy and paste its contents in your next reply.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

"Can you show me where those files are? (Their location)"    "Shopping Stuff" are in these places, C:\users\default\documents" and C:\Windows.old\Users\Documents and C:\users\fselc\documents (we put it there by copying with the cmd prompt.)

"There is a bunch of htm files under your profile. Are you keeping these there?" These I keep for a record of my shopping and orders.

I added a step in making the "Fixlog.txt" file. I pasted the "

Reg: Reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" /s

into the "Search" box of FRST64 before clicking "fix."  If this was incorrect, I can do it again.

Hope this clears things up a bit, and thanks again.

Jim

Attached Files

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,590 posts
Lets confirm that first. What I can do is to copy all files and folders, without overwriting the existing files, to just one location, C:\users\fselc\documents. Then delete those locations in the Windows.old and the default profile. If you agree, please let me know. Once done, I will return these accounts to its original state.

cmd: Dir /ad C:\users\default\documents
cmd: Dir /ad C:\Windows.old\Users\Documents
cmd: Dir /ad C:\users\fselc\documents

• Press the Fix button. FRST will process the lines copied above from the clipboard.
  • When finished, a log file (Fixlog.txt) will pop up and saved in the same location the tool was ran from.

Advertisements

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I have included two fixlog.txt files bacause in the first one I think it should have been C:\Users\Fred\Documents, instead of without the "Fred." as I erroneously sent in my last post as to where the files were. In the second "Fixlog.txt" I changed the input to include "Windows.old\Users\Fred"   I agree to your suggestion. Hope this helps.

Attached Files

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,590 posts

Here we go:

Comment: This fix will copy the files from the defaul profile to the fselc documents folder, as well as the files in the Windows.old folder
Comment: It will not overwrite existing files.
Comment: Once the files and folders are copied, the folders in the default and Windows.old directories will be removed.
Startbatch:
Attrib -h -r c:\users\default
Attrib -r c:\users\default\Documents
Attrib -r "c:\users\default\Documents\Shopping Stuff"
echo n|xcopy "c:\users\default\Documents\Shopping Stuff\*" "c:\users\fselc\Documents\Shopping Stuff" /E 
echo n|xcopy "C:\Windows.old\Users\Fred\Documents\Shopping Stuff\*" "c:\users\fselc\Documents\Shopping Stuff" /E 
Endbatch:
c:\users\default\Documents\Shopping Stuff
C:\Windows.old\Users\Fred\Documents\Shopping Stuff
CMD: Attrib +r c:\users\default\Documents
CMD: Attrib +r +h c:\users\default

• Press the Fix button. FRST will process the lines copied above from the clipboard.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Here's the Fixlog.txt file created just now. "Shopping Stuff" appears in c:\Users\fselc\documents. Jusr a reminder, it was there before because we put it there with the command prompt back in post #29.

Cheers, Jim

Attached Files

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,590 posts

Here's the Fixlog.txt file created just now. "Shopping Stuff" appears in c:\Users\fselc\documents. Jusr a reminder, it was there before because we put it there with the command prompt back in post #29.

Cheers, Jim

Yes. That was the idea so you can have access to these.

Is everything back to normal?

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
JSntgRvr, Yes, I think I am back to normal. I copied the documents from C:\Users\Default to C:\Users\fselc, and I can modify and save things as usual. You and Geeks to Go have bailed me out once again, and I cannot thank you enough for the patience and persistence you showed to get it done. Very, very much appreciated.

Cheers, Jim