Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I transfer settings from Win10 to Win11 w/Macrium?

transferring setting windows 11 windows 10 Macrium Reflect

Best Answer Phlegmbot , 17 February 2022 - 09:14 PM

Did you see this(video) I had not! Thanks yet again!! Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hi!

1. I had to get a new PC (this Dell is just falling apart [as all Dells do]) and would like to use Macrium Reflect or similar to transfer my info and settings. Is there a way to do this from a Win10 pc to a Win11 pc?

2. If not, my MAIN thing would be to get my Chrome and Firefox settings (not just Bookmarks, but PWs and such) to the new PC. I make my living on my PC, so I have a TON of site settings and PWs and so forth in both of these browsers.

2.b. Also need to transfer MS Word, b/c it's not letting me install Word on my new PC b/c I've "used the product key the allowable number of times." 😡 (Altho', I think if I called Microsoft and explained that I'm not just putting the program on a ton of PCs, as they seem to think I am, they'd probably give me a pass on this.)

THANK YOU!

Advertisements

oliverpowell

oliverpowell

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Hi,

I dont think we can transfer the settings from windows 10 to windows 11, but In Windows 10 and Windows 11, the system offers you OneDrive that can be used to transfer data from PC to PC.With OneDrive, you can back up the important folders on the current computer including Desktop, Documents, and Pictures online. If you use the same account to sign in OneDrive, you can transfer the data to all the devices.That is, you can back up important files in Windows 10 and sign in to the same account on the Windows 11 PC, then all the files can be synced to Windows 11. Note that OneDrive only supports 5GB of free space. To get more space, you need to pay some money.

Here is how to transfer files from Windows 10 to Windows 11 via OneDrive:

Step 1: In Windows 10, search for OneDrive via the search bar. If you use it for the first time, you need to set up OneDrive using an email address and password.

Step 2: By default, OneDrive can automatically sync Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folder. If you want to transfer files outside of these folders, launch File Explorer and drag the files you want to sync to OneDrive.

Step 3: Open your Windows 11 PC, set up OneDrive, and sign in it with the same account. Then, you can access the OneDrive folder and view the files you have synced. OneDrive is a useful way to transfer data from Windows 10 to Windows 11 but the limit is that you can only free sync 5GB of data.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hi. While I GREATLY appreciate that reply, OneDrive isn't robust enough for my needs.

Is there a solution w/a bit more sophistication? THANK YOU!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Hi phlegmbot

do you still need help with this?

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Yes, thank you, I do! Sorry for the delayed reply -- work AND volunteer stuff both kinda blew up this week.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Yes, thank you, I do! Sorry for the delayed reply -- work AND volunteer stuff both kinda blew up this week.

Not a problem

2.b. Also need to transfer MS Word, b/c it's not letting me install Word on my new PC b/c I've "used the product key the allowable number of times." (Altho', I think if I called Microsoft and explained that I'm not just putting the program on a ton of PCs, as they seem to think I am, they'd probably give me a pass on this.)

You have to inform them that you are throwing the old pc in the recycle so you will only be using word -or office on 1 pc

Microsoft make it near impossible to transfer office - reinstall is best.

For chrome bookmarks & passwords you can back them up to a usb this will be an easier way then macrium  https://gadgetstouse...ords-in-chrome/

For firefox try this one, https://support.mozi...irefox-profiles

Of course make sure both work.

For other data depending on how much you have you can either use a usb stick OR we can try setting up a network - if you have a modem/router and transfer data.

I know you are doing this without Macrium, However I believe this is the best and cleanest method.

Any issues please come back here.

Cheers

Peterm

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Thanks! I was able to get MS Word going, but I'll try the Firefox thing. 

I've been using a flashdrive for general files. (Of course, Win11 being terrible, put everything both on my PC and the cloud, then when I deleted it from the cloud, even tho' I turned off syncing, it deleted from the PC, b/c Win11 is pretty messed up.)

Anyway, is there ANY app or process by which I can easily transfer Firefox and Chrome settings/PWs/bookmarks to the new PC? Right now, I'm just doing it all manually. 

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Anyway, is there ANY app or process by which I can easily transfer Firefox and Chrome settings/PWs/bookmarks to the new PC? Right now, I'm just doing it all manually

The two links I gave you should just make a file you copy to usb. 1 file only for firefox

1 File only for chrome

Anyway, is there ANY app or process by which I can easily transfer Firefox and Chrome settings/PWs/bookmarks to the new PC? Right now, I'm just doing it all manually

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

for chrome https://gadgetstouse...ords-in-chrome/

For fire fox https://support.mozi...irefox-profiles

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I've been using a flashdrive for general files

We can try a network setup if you like to transfer files

Advertisements

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Thank you. I'll try those links for Chrome and FF! 

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

if it does not work let me know.

What about network for other files?

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

OK. Haven't had time to try the links yet. 

Sorry, forgot to reply to the Network thing: I've a 1TB external SSD to transfer files, and I have a website so can store things there when necessary, so I can deal with that. I'm more concerned about things like settings & dictionaries, etc. for FF & Chrome, settings for Word (& the dictionary and autocorrects) and such.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
settings for Word (& the dictionary and autocorrects) and such.

These things are already in word as standard. If you added extra dictionaries before you will have to add them again.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

TY. FYI: All of thiwill have to wait a bit. My brand new PC ihaving some problem after a recent Win11 update, including the "s" key randomly NOT working (I'm using copy & paste in this posting.)