Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lenovo IM Controller

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Keyboardclick

Keyboardclick

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi,

I am having trouble with adware, I ran Adware Cleaner, got rid of all of the PUPs, but it found this preinstalled software:

***** [ Preinstalled Software ] *****

Preinstalled.LenovoIMController   Folder   C:\ProgramData\LENOVO\IMCONTROLLER
Preinstalled.LenovoIMController   Folder   C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\LENOVO\IMCONTROLLER
Preinstalled.LenovoIMController   Folder   C:\Windows\LENOVO\IMCONTROLLER
Preinstalled.LenovoIMController   Folder   C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\LENOVO\IMCONTROLLER
Preinstalled.LenovoIMController   Registry   HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Lenovo Dependency Package_is1

I did a search for Lenovo IM Controller, and found where it said it would mess up your computer and you should remove it, I also found where it could mess up your computer if you do remove it. What should I do?

Should it stay, or should it go?

I have a Lenovo laptop, windows 10.

I am running Adware cleaner because I get these dumb ads that pop up at the bottom right corner of my screen, and I can't get them to stop.

Let me know if you need any more info!

Thanks!

Advertisements

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,112 posts

It's actually up to you if you keep it or remove it. 

Personally, I remove everything I don't need/use, but it's your computer, so your decision.

You said that you are getting pop-ups. You mean from Lenovo or something else? 

Keyboardclick

Keyboardclick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hello again! You helped me before.

I don't use it, if I did use the Lenovo IM Controller, what would it even do???

When I first got the computer, the popups were from Lenovo, but now they are not. They are just ads, generally for shopping. I don't know why it started. It hasn't happened since removing the PUPs with Adware Cleaner, but it wasn't happening on a regular basis, so I 'll have to give it some time and see if that did it.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,112 posts

They are just ads, generally for shopping. I don't know why it started. It hasn't happened since removing the PUPs with Adware Cleaner, but it wasn't happening on a regular basis, so I 'll have to give it some time and see if that did it.

If you continue getting pop-ups, then you should consider posting in the Malware Removal Forum, asking for malware check.