Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new computer and want to wipe win 10

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 06 November 2022 - 11:06 AM

are you saying i'm locked into formatting and starting over ?     Nope, I`m saying that it will most likely not work properly and in fact it may not work at all, there are... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

stvsxm

stvsxm

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

hi,   bought a new asus e410  and it has win 10 on it which i hate.  i have factory win 7 discs  and want to install  .   do i format this hd  and the go from there or is there a way around that so i don't lose all the bios and the drivers and every other thing ?  

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
is there a way around that so i don't lose all the bios and the drivers and every other thing ?  

You won`t have a problem with the BIOS but you will with the lack of Windows 7 drivers and AV protection.

Check here and you will see that there are only Windows 10 and 11 drivers.

What is is that you do not like about Windows 10.

stvsxm

stvsxm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

is there a way around that so i don't lose all the bios and the drivers and every other thing ?  

You won`t have a problem with the BIOS but you will with the lack of Windows 7 drivers and AV protection.

Check here and you will see that there are only Windows 10 and 11 drivers.

What is is that you do not like about Windows 10.

i just hate the way it works.   i'm a bit of a dinosaur... 72  year old retired engineer.   im used to a system where things are in plain sight .   with this 10 its all hidden and everytime i try to do someting i get screens that say  " are you sure you want to do this ?  why not try this "   i want it to just shut up and leave me alone ....  it seems to be an " entertainment " OS rather than a functional OS.   are you saying i'm locked into formatting and starting over ?  

Edited by stvsxm, 06 November 2022 - 10:44 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
✓  Best Answer
are you saying i'm locked into formatting and starting over ?  

Nope, I`m saying that it will most likely not work properly and in fact it may not work at all, there are no Windows 7 drivers available and one of the most important devices on your sort of computer is the NIC (network interface card) is a device that needs Windows 10 or 11 drivers.

Fwiw, they should be banned from selling such low spec computers with Windows installed on them, a 256GB SSD is the minimum that Windows should be installed on, your computer would be better with a Linux OS.

You may want to check out Vistart, I've been using it since Windows 8 days and use the Windows 7 skin, download from here

stvsxm

stvsxm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

are you saying i'm locked into formatting and starting over ?  

Nope, I`m saying that it will most likely not work properly and in fact it may not work at all, there are no Windows 7 drivers available and one of the most important devices on your sort of computer is the NIC (network interface card) is a device that needs Windows 10 or 11 drivers.

Fwiw, they should be banned from selling such low spec computers with Windows installed on them, a 256GB SSD is the minimum that Windows should be installed on, your computer would be better with a Linux OS.

You may want to check out Vistart, I've been using it since Windows 8 days and use the Windows 7 skin, download from here

thx.  ill take a whack at it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

You are welcome  :)

stvsxm

stvsxm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

You are welcome  :)

let me ask you this , please,  i have a 1 tb external hd  that i used to use for back ups and things....   suppose i scrub that  ... could i then do a fresh install of win 7 on that and boot from that and use that to run this machine ?  i used to have a big dell that had 2 hd in it and i did it with that but they were built in and it was configured to operate that way.... can an external hd do the same thing ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Not sure what went on but looks like the site may have been down.

In answer to your question, installing W7 to an external drive will not change the fact that there are no W7 drivers for your computer.

Have you tried Vistart yet.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
No follow up from the OP so thread marked.