Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

asus e410 " hard drive"

• Please log in to reply

stvsxm

stvsxm

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

hi,      so i bought one of these asus e410  things with win 10 because it was dirt cheap.    i want to get rid of the win 10 and put win 7 on it.    i normally i just format the hd , install win 7 and the drivers and be done but i can't figure out how to do this on this machine.    so thats the first question....  how do i format the hd on this macjhine... failing that  what hd does this thing even use ?   i can't find a spec for it anywhere and i have spent some serious time looking.  all the u tube video that show the things coming apart never show a hard drive.... does this thing even have one ?   i have lots of conventional lap tops but i needed something very small and light for one specific job...  thats why im into this...   thx in advance

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

No hard drive in the traditional sense.  What it has is an M.2 SSD which can't be bigger than 512GB.

stvsxm

stvsxm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

No hard drive in the traditional sense.  What it has is an M.2 SSD which can't be bigger than 512GB.

thx  ... thats a beginning...  couple questions questions....  is that a plug in device or something soldered to the motherboard ?   can i format it and reinstall an op sys like an ordinary hard drive  .... ?   can i just buy one and replace it ?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I found more info on the Asus.  Complete teardown with explanation of the parts.  The M.2 info I had was wrong.  There is just a slot for Storage expansion by adding an M.2 SSD.  The hard drive equivalent is a "storage chip" that is soldered in so can't be changed or easily replaced.

I assume you can erase the storage chip but not sure how it well Win 7 would work as there are probably no drivers available.  Why don't you put Classic Shell on it?  http://www.classicshell.net/  It will give it the look and feel of Win 7.

stvsxm

stvsxm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I found more info on the Asus.  Complete teardown with explanation of the parts.  The M.2 info I had was wrong.  There is just a slot for Storage expansion by adding an M.2 SSD.  The hard drive equivalent is a "storage chip" that is soldered in so can't be changed or easily replaced.

I assume you can erase the storage chip but not sure how it well Win 7 would work as there are probably no drivers available.  Why don't you put Classic Shell on it?  http://www.classicshell.net/  It will give it the look and feel of Win 7.

i saw that video and thats what prompted my questions...   ill try the classic shell and see what happens.   thx again.