Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LENOVO IDEACENTRE A340-22IWL M2 UPGRADE (PART 2)

• Please log in to reply

JoMalig

JoMalig

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Hi,

Previously, I upgraded my 2 out of 3 Lenovo Ideacentre A340-22iwl all in one desktop computer from HDD to M2.

These 2 are working fine and running smoothly. I put Crucial P5 250 GB CT250P5SSD8 Internal Solid State Drive-up to 3400 MB/s (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2, 2280SS).

So, after 1 year, I decided to upgrade the 3rd computer and I installed Crucial P5 Plus 500GB M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Up to 6600MB/s - CT500P5PSSD8.

As per the crucial system scanner, its showing its compatible.

Now I have problem installing Windows 10 to it.

Using Boot mode Legacy only its showing this error;

LEGACY ONLY.jpeg

ERROR MSG.jpeg

How to solve this?

When I use Boot mode UEFI only, it wont start with my bootable USB drive (My usb windows installer)

BOOT OPTION UEFI.jpeg

If I put Boot mode Legacy only it will boot on my usb drive

BOOT OPTION LEGACY.jpeg

But then again, if I selected Legacy, I will end up with the error showing on the 2nd screen shot.

Please help.

Thanks

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Your USB drive was formatted with an MBR so is Legacy.  Doesn't your PC BIOS have an option for AUTO?  This would would boot either Legacy or UEFI and is the recommended setting.  

Your error is often caused by 1.  Too many hard drives  Try unplugging the extra drives.  2.  Bad drive.  Since you have Windows installed on one drive, boot to that drive and use Disk Management (shows as  Create and Format Hard drive partitions when Search finds it).  In the bottom window find your M.2.  Right click on the Disk (not on the volume.)  Ideally you want this drive GPT but since you already have two working I would compare the working units and make this one look the same.  

There should be an option Convert to GPT.  If it's gray then the drive is already GPT (UEFI).  If not gray then you can click on it and change it.  

Now look in the Volume box to the right of the Disk box and it should say NTFS.  If not right click on the Volume box and Format (choose NTFS) and make sure that works.  Windows will normally format a blank drive for you but this way you are sure that it works.  

3.  Too low in the boot order.  (Won't be a problem if you remove other drives first.

JoMalig

JoMalig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Your USB drive was formatted with an MBR so is Legacy.  Doesn't your PC BIOS have an option for AUTO?  This would would boot either Legacy or UEFI and is the recommended setting.  

This one solved my problem. I made a Bootable USB drive in GPT format. Then I converted my M2 which is in MBR format to GPT.

Thanks alot.

:yeah: