Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System Not Found and BIOS is Inaccessible

Best Answer JoMalig , 30 January 2023 - 06:01 AM

Thanks for the help, my problem is solved.I was able to boot using a USB Windows 10 installer and clean installed the OS.Now I can use my laptop again but I still can't enter bios though.I almost b... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JoMalig

JoMalig

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Hi,

I have a 10 year old Acer Aspire V5-571 laptop still running smoothly until yesterday.

I don't know exactly what happened, when I turned it on, its showing Operating System Not Found.

My wife told me she caught our 5 year old daughter playing it by just pressing the keyboard.

So I tried accessing the BIOS to see if its not detecting my storage drive.

But I can't access the BIOS. I tried all the possible keys to enter the bios but nothing happen.

So I dismantled the laptop and clean the inside as well. I also reset the CMOS by removing the battery

and put a new one after 30 minutes. But no success. It still showing Operating System Not Found and I still 

can't access BIOS.

screenshot.png

What might be the problem? Does my laptop really retired and I should now buy a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by JoMalig, 23 January 2023 - 06:13 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Before dismantling the notebook did you try hooking up a USB keboard to see if that could get you into the BIOS.

JoMalig

JoMalig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Yes I did. I'm actually using a usb keyboard because im also using the laptop for gaming.

I also tried the laptop's keyboard.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Why didn't you mention the above in your OP

Now that we are aware of the whole picture it only leaves the one suggestion, try another USB keyboard.

Side note, being that the keypad, the external keyboard and possibly the boot device have failed something more drastic has gone on which was zero to do with your daughter, this because the BIOS is pre boot and so unaffected if a boot drive fails.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The OPs keypad and external keyboard do not work Freebooter

JoMalig

JoMalig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Why didn't you mention the above in your OP

Now that we are aware of the whole picture it only leaves the one suggestion, try another USB keyboard.

Side note, being that the keypad, the external keyboard and possibly the boot device have failed something more drastic has gone on which was zero to do with your daughter, this because the BIOS is pre boot and so unaffected if a boot drive fails.

I tried using a different usb keyboard but to no avail.

IMAGE 2.jpeg

@ FreeBooter

Thank you for the guide but how can I do that? I can't even enter BIOS.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Can I  just make sure that you are connecting the USB keyboard/s to one of the USB 2.0 ports and not the USB 3.0 port + are you continually tpping the F2 BIOS access key as soon a you have pressed the power on button.

JoMalig

JoMalig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

I already tried connecting the usb keyboard to all 3 usb ports of my laptop but still the same.

I tried pressing F2 key continuously and then turn on the laptop.

I also tried press and hold F2 key and then turn on the laptop.

But when pressing F12 when I turn on the laptop, there is a beep sound. But also nothing happens.

I guess my laptop is really tired and retires already.

For 10 years I'm using it like 4 to 5 times a week and 8 to 10 hours a day.

I'm planning to upgrade the ram but good thing I didn't yet.

JoMalig

JoMalig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks for the help, my problem is solved.

I was able to boot using a USB Windows 10 installer and clean installed the OS.

Now I can use my laptop again but I still can't enter bios though.

I almost bought a new one.

:D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Curious to know how you managed to change the boot sequence when you could not access the BIOS to do so.

See access the BIOS from within Windows 10 info here

If you can get into the BIOS make sure that the USB ports are enabled on boot.

JoMalig

JoMalig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Sorry for the super late reply. I have this bad habit of not checking back here once my problem is solved.

Anyway, to answer you. I also don't know how it booted up from my USB Flash Drive but I'm glad it did.

Until now I still cannot access the bios. The only thing I can think of is maybe when I reset the bios by 

removing the cmos battery. 

Now I think I know what is the problem why I can't access the bios.

I have a faulty keyboard. (Laptop's keyboard)

I figured it out just a few weeks ago when I tried to turn off the backlight of my laptop's keyboard.

To do so, I need to press fn+f5 keys. But nothing happened. Then I learned that all the keys from 

F1 to F12 are not working. I'm using a usb keyboard that's why I did not notice this sooner.

BUT, why I was not able to access the bios when I tried using 2 different usb keyboards?

Or my laptop is designed to access the bios using only the laptop's keyboard. I don't know. :upset:

What if I try a bluetooth keyboard? But I don't have one.  :D