Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cheapest server/HDD bay possible built

server cheap MVP

• Please log in to reply

Faina

Faina

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Dear Experts,

I need your kind support for build the cheapest HDD server possible, after several disapponting experiences with HDD cases and HDD hubs. The server scope is only for back up, so the LAN speed should be decent. I have already 4 3.5 inches HDD that I want to reuse there

I would have a 8 bays server, starting the OS from USB, so I can save one slot free for back up disk. I don't need any RAID, I can mirror the disks with the basic Windows function 

This is what I found so far

MSI B550M-VC

Win 10 Pro from softwaredistributors.co

ANTEC P101 case

What do you think about the above? I need the PU with at least 8 outputs for the HDDs, the CPU and the RAM, no idea about what's the best and cheapest combination

Do I need an MB with all the SATA slots there or is it better to buy a PCI with the additional slots (but I need the space in the case anyway..)

Any help/creative ideas for contain the expense, including looking at refurbished desktops, is very welcome

Please consider that I'm located in Japan

Thanks!

Cheers

Edited by Faina, 07 May 2023 - 04:29 PM.

Advertisements

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Dear Experts,

I play a bit with the configurator and this is what I find out

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cX6WNc

What do you think? I'm not sure about the best cost/performance components

In that configuration, I'm short of power to the HDDs: since the PU has got enough, what do you think about a splitter?

Cheers