Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Samsung M283x series printer driver cannot be updated

Best Answer RKinner , 08 June 2023 - 09:49 AM

I went to https://support.hp.c...fFlag=true&sku= Changed the operating system to Mac-os and version 11 and it gave me a file that I was able to download.  Can't test it because I... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

sue.words

sue.words

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Our Samsung Xpress M2835DW printer was churning out sheet after sheet of almost empty pages with a couple of lines of gibberish at the top.

I pursued this symptom online and ended up with the diagnosis that I needed to update the printer drivers.

But when I eventually found the download updates website (an HP rather than a Samsung website) I discovered that updates were no longer available for this model. 

(I tried googling "printer driver unavailable" and the hits seemed to be addressing an error message on the computer rather than the ceasing of manufacturer support for a printer.)

Our printer worked extremely smoothly for a good while, and we were pleased we had bought a laser printer because running costs are cheaper than with inkjets, but we have never used it a lot and it seems almost criminal to assume it is a write-off without a fight.

(Just in case it's relevant, I am registered as a Mac user with Geeks to Go – MacBook Pro – but don't know if that is obvious in this forum.)

Can I do ANYthing to get more use from the printer?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

If you are running a MAC, what version of the operating system are you using?

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Big Sur (11.7.7)

Thank you for replying, RKinner

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

I went to 

https://support.hp.c...fFlag=true&sku=

Changed the operating system to Mac-os and version 11 and it gave me a file that I was able to download.  Can't test it because I don't have a MAC but at least they didn't say there was no driver.  Be warned that the site is a bit flaky.  Sometimes it says it can take up to 3 minutes to find it which is BS.  Just try again later.  The site is supposed to identify your current operating system which is does OK with Win 10.  Perhaps it has a problem with MACs?

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Thank you so much again. I am about to go out so won't be able to see how I get on for a while – certainly not till tomorrow and probably not till evening then. But I'll let you know what happens definitely. :)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

If the above is no good try this

https://support.hp.c.../model/16462891

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

peterm

Your post spurred me on to try RKinner's sooner than I expected to. (I'm busy with other things and I thought it would take ages.) It didn't and it worked! But thank you for your support. (Love your Rules above. Sorry, can't give blood now as too old, but I did years ago.)

RKinner

Delighted to say that your solution worked!. I've filed the info (and peterm's advice) for future reference.

RKinner and peterm

Just think how environmentally worthwhile your help has been in saving a substantial piece of kit from landfill! Thank you both