Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antiviral says connecting to new network

network

• Please log in to reply

Curious D

Curious D

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Hi.  I have been noticing that Avast Antivirus (Free) has been flagging my computer as connecting to a new network when I turn on my computer.  It doesn't happen all the time.  I check and it is the same home network connected on an ethernet cable.  I have largely ignored this warning, but lately, my computer has been losing network connection to the internet as well.  It happens randomly (at least to my eye).  The connection still says that I'm connected to the internet, but I cannot load webpages.  My connection to work momentarily looks like it loses connection, but the data still updates after I receive the alert.  I keep thinking that there might be something wrong with the network card, but I know virtually nothing about networking.  I'm thinking that maybe I might need to reinstall the drivers for my network card, but I'm hesitant only because I don't know what that means in terms of resetting my previous settings (I figure I would need to put in passwords again), how it will play with my router (I have a set IP address for my computer) and any other potential consequences.  I also don't know how to reinstall my network drivers.  I'm always scared I might choose the wrong selection and break something else.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

I have a Windows 11 Home computer with the latest updates.  I have a Dell XPS 8950 running i5-12400 with 16 GB RAM.  The Ethernet Controller is Killer E3100G 2.5 Gigabit.

Thanks.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,095 posts

Hello, please make sure first that Avast is fully up dated.

How to update Avast Antivirus or Avast One | Avast

Curious D

Curious D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Hello, please make sure first that Avast is fully up dated.

How to update Avast Antivirus or Avast One | Avast

Thanks.  I thought it automatically updated.  I guess it's just the definitions.  Now I'll have to wait and see if the computer keeps giving me those warnings and drops my connection.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,095 posts

Hello,

Now I'll have to wait and see if the computer keeps giving me those warnings and drops my connection.

If that happens recycle the modem/router by simply turning it off then on that could fix the warning..

Let us know.

also, Reinstalling the network adapter is an easy thing to do we can try that if the router recycle does not correct the warning message.