Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New GPU installed No Fans spinning and black screen

Best Answer phillpower2 , 30 October 2023 - 12:10 PM

Good news and fwiw we can shed some light on this, see below; I just returned from work and now it boots with the onboard graphics card and the ram frequency is at 4800.  CPU:Intel C... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

johnny15

johnny15

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Hello Everyone

I've recently upgraded my old PC, and I'm encountering the following issue:

When I start my pc I see black screen, the fans from the GPU don't work but the leds work fine.

My new setup  is:

Case: Coolermaster masterbox td500 mesh

Motherboard: Msi z790 edge

CPU:Intel Core i9-13900K

Water-cooler: Corsair iCUE h100i Elite Capellix Xt

GPU:MSI SuprimX Geforce RTX 4080

PSU:Corsair RM850x

Things to note: I transfered the case, the PSU and my two m2 ssds from my old pc to the new one.

Things that I did:

Tried the new RTX 4080 with my new pc: the leds were off and no fans were spinning. (black screen of course).

Tried my previously working 3080 with the new pc: the leds were on but no fans spinning and still black screen

Tried both cards on my old pc and they worked fine.

Took out the battery

Tried starting with the onboard graphics card and I had no problems, my pc booted fine.

Do you have any Ideas?

I am thinking that there could be a problem with my motherboard pci slot, because when I tested both graphic cards  on my old pc and everything worked fine.

Thanks for your time

Giannis

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hello johnny15,

Are you not even able to access the BIOS.

What speed is the RAM and how many sticks of it do you have.

Do you have a keyboard connected to the MB.

Things to note: I transfered the case, the PSU and my two m2 ssds from my old pc to the new one.

You are not trying to boot from one of these are you.

NB: Please don`t abandon this thread like you did with the one here

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

I just did the latest bios update  formatted the one m2 drive and installed windows 11.
The ram is corsair vengeance ddr5, 2 slots and 6400mhz.

Yes I did have a keyboard connected.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I was working on that pc and trying to do some updates, left it for 1 hour to do some of them. And when I returned and restarted the pc for the instalation of the updatates and now it shows black screen with no signal logo. I removed the gpu tried starting the pc with the onboard graphics card and still the same. There is a white led on the motherboard which says vga that stays on and then turns off.
And yes I cannot connect to bios

Edited by johnny15, 30 October 2023 - 04:34 AM.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

I am just hoping that there isn't any bent pin, thats the only thing I didn't test.

Also I am not sure if its important but both ssds were from the previous system, I formatted the one with the operating system and left the other one as it is.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I just returned from work and now it boots with the onboard graphics card and the ram frequency is at 4800. Probably it got reduced by the motherboard . I did the ddu and now I am going to install fresh drivers. Then I will plug my graphics card and see.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
✓  Best Answer

Good news and fwiw we can shed some light on this, see below;

I just returned from work and now it boots with the onboard graphics card and the ram frequency is at 4800.

CPU:Intel Core i9-13900K

The ram is corsair vengeance ddr5, 2 slots and 6400mhz.

The RAM is not appropriate for your CPU, Intel state here up to DDR5 5600MHz and if you have XMP enabled the RAM will get auto OCd past what the CPU can handle and the PC will become unstable.

You should also make sure that the Windows Power Plan is set to Balanced and not High Performance.

Something to keep in mind for the future, a CPU must be compatible with a MB whereas the RAM has to be compatible with both the CPU and the MB, this because a MB can be compatible with faster CPUs than the one in your list of parts and MB manufacturers often state RAM speeds that far exceed what any CPU the board can handle.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Thanks a lot Phil, that's a thing I didn't know.

My friend decided to send back the motherboard, and ordered another one. 

I told him about the ram but he insisted that the problem was at the motherboard.

I will post back here when the new motherboard arrives!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
I told him about the ram but he insisted that the problem was at the motherboard.

Not sure how he arrived at that conclusion, if the board was bad it would not have worked at all and I suspect that you will get the exact same board back with there being no fault found.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

I just did the installation, he bought all the stuff.

For some reason he thinks that's the problem.

He already bought the same motherboard from ASUS. (The previous one was from MSI)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Sorry but that makes zero sense, your friend can't assemble a build themselves but is able to determine that a MB is bad  :headscratch:

By purchasing the same board I take it that you mean the same type of z790 chipset, regardless of this can I just reiterate the below from my reply #7;

Something to keep in mind for the future, a CPU must be compatible with a MB whereas the RAM has to be compatible with both the CPU and the MB, this because a MB can be compatible with faster CPUs than the one in your list of parts and MB manufacturers often state RAM speeds that far exceed what any CPU the board can handle

The CPU was fine with the MSI MB but incompatible with the RAM, changing brands of MB will not change this, purchasing a different brand of MB also means that your friend may well end up with two MBs, I've yet to see any merchant pay a refund for a MB that has been used, if a board has been found to be doa they tend to offer a like for like exchange or a credit note, finding nothing wrong with the MSI board would normally result in the return of the board to your friend and they likewise may have to pay any shipping costs.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

I'm back again! We replaced my friend's motherboard, and now everything is working fine.

The GPU started immediately, with fans and lights on. Please note that we also replaced the PSU.

The old motherboard is still at the store, and I will update you when we have the results.

Thank you very much for your advice. As I mentioned, it wasn't my PC, so I had to defer to his opinion.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

No problem and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

I'm back again! We replaced my friend's motherboard, and now everything is working fine.

The GPU started immediately, with fans and lights on. Please note that we also replaced the PSU.

Because you have replaced the PSU and the store have not confirmed that the board is bad yet ( It takes ten minutes to test a MB, what's keeping them  :headscratch: ) your friend still could end up with two MBs.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

That's what I am thinking. Actually, the store did send the motherboard back.

However, because he was at work and couldn't pick it up from the courier center, the motherboard was sent back to the store.

Now he has to contact them and see what's going to happen.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

If the store sent the board back it can only be one of two things, fully working with no defects found or determined to have been broken by the end user, they normally advise as to which scenario applies.