Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux OS Distributions

• Please log in to reply

boob

boob

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have never used a Linux OS before, however I want to install one as a permanent and only OS on my PC. I used Partition Magic to make format my hard drive and is already ready to go as a Linux ext2 partition. However, (like the article in the news forums) I am overwhelmed by all the different distrubutions. I'd like one that has alot of similar features as Windows for personal usage, so I think Suse is comparible, am I right? Also, If I put this on a CD will it boot to the CD and install or is it completely different? How exactly should I go about installing a Linux OS?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I downloaded the three CD version of Mandrake 10.2 from the usc mirror site, burned it to disks and only about an hour ago finished installing it. All for free, and it works fine so far. :tazz:

boob

boob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Did it work by putting in the CD and booting to it on a clean harddrive as if you were installing Windows? Or was there a different way of doing it?

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Yes, SuSe will fit you fine. See here for more info:
http://www.geekstogo...se_-t38170.html

Also, If I put this on a CD will it boot to the CD and install or is it completely different? How exactly should I go about installing a Linux OS?

SuSe is rather large, so you have to either burn it to a Dual-Layer DVD or 5 CD's. Then just boot from them and it's an extremely easy process.

boob

boob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Alright, thank you all very much. :tazz:

Mycah

Mycah

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
XD I got my disk out of Linux for Dummies
Fedora, it looks ok.

boob

boob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
One more question, I was having trouble finding a working link to download SuSE from, so I just downloaded Mandrake instead from here: http://www.linuxiso....o.php?distro=29

I downloaded the first 3 install disks from the i586 section of Mandrake 10.1, however when I tryed to install it to my formatted drive as the only OS, I found that the CD was not bootable. How do I go about installing the CD's?

Thanks for any help.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Go into BIOS and change the boot order to be CDROM then harddrive

boob

boob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
That's a problem as well, it doesn't give me that option, I'm running an old Compaq. However, I put in Windows Web Server 2003 to see if it would start setting it up and it did, which is why I think that the Linux CD's aren't bootable. :tazz:

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I am by no means a linux expert but I've had a lot of trouble ( and have heard from others who have as well ) getting linux to run correctly on a compaq. Particularly an old one. supposedly there is some setting you have to make to get it to work correctly but I couldn't tell you what that is.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how did you burn them to a cd?

ISOs are disk images and require a special burn process--you don't simply copy those files to a cd

boob

boob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Wow, I feel extremely stupid, guess that's how I shall learn though. They are indeed ISO's. :tazz: Could you please explain the process or tell me of where I could learn how to make bootable Linux install CD's from the ISO?

Thank you very much for your ongoing help.

Edited by boob, 23 June 2005 - 08:39 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Wow, I feel extremely stupid, guess that's how I shall learn though. They are indeed ISO's.  :tazz: Could you please explain the process or tell me of where I could learn how to make bootable Linux install CD's from the ISO?

Thank you very much for your ongoing help.

View Post

Well for fifty bucks I bought a six year old computer with a cd-rw, winME which wasn't compatible with the rw software, Nero burning 5.5, plus all the installation software and literature, I put the burner and software in the win98se machne that I use for working on hard drives and doing prelim setups, downloaded the files and burned them.

The machine I use for repair is kind of interesting. It has a Tekram Technology Co., Ltd. P6B40-A4X-i440BX Rev. 1.0
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 10/11/00

motherboard, but the clock is bypassed to 100mhz (an option) and the bios and chipset drivers are upgraded. The mobo is from a HiQ computer, installed in a builders box with four large bays, one has the cd-rw, the other three have server trays so all I have to do is put a drive in a tray and slip it in, no opening the case. The smaller bays have two floppy drives.

The upgrades have made it pretty snappy, and it can see 64gb drives, in fact I'm on it right now, and when I installed the Linux I just slipped in a 40gb drive I had laying around and after about an hour I had Linux. It had no trouble detecting the hardware, except for the sound card. It also went up on the net automatically, it detected the router and configured the internet connection itself.

I notice the Linux is pretty slow, but it seems to get faster as I use it, maybe it's defragging the disk automaticaly, since I don't see any disk maintainence tools.

Chadduss

Chadduss

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hey boob, haha sorry funny name; just had to have that laugh, what CD burning program do you use? Generally it's pretty easy to do. In Nero Express it's the bottom option "Disc image or saved project"

boob

boob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi Chadduss, I'm just using Windows XP Home to burn the CD's, no special program, I'll look around for the option, I didn't even know that much. I have never burnt an image before or anything so I'm a little lost. I'll post back if I figure it out. Thanks for the support guys.

Edited by boob, 24 June 2005 - 03:40 PM.