Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programming in excel

• Please log in to reply

keepviper13

keepviper13

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a spreadsheet that i am trying to filter out and sum data from that same row. I want to write a function that will accomplish this task. The spreadsheet is a tracking file that tracks the purchase of parts. Each part has a number which corresponds to where that part will be charged to. There are around 500 different charge numbers and around 5000 parts. I want to write a function that will sum the current balance on each charge number. I can't just sum a certain number of rows either, because the charge numbers are not all row below row, they jump around in the whole file. I figure that i will have to make some sort of "if" statement to pick out the individual charge number and then somehow select the charges from each row and sum them up. How do i write a function that will sum the charges for each charge number. I would like to add another column and place the current balance for each charge number right beside each part ordered. This will then basically be a running balance so that i can see the balance of each charge number beside the part that is purchased.
I've included a screen shot of the basic format of the spreadsheet.

Attached Thumbnails

• excel_question.jpg

Advertisements

keepviper13

keepviper13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
somebody have an idea of where to start?
I am pretty confident with a direction i could run with it and figure it out, but i really don't know which functions to try and manipulate to get it to work...

Ctrl_Alt_Del

Ctrl_Alt_Del

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Have you looked at Pivot Tables? Should make it pretty easy for you.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
I do not have a clear statements on your explaination, as what I have understand you mean that a certain charge number corresponds to a certain cost charge, am I right?

can you give us at least 3 examples of equation that you needed to be sorted out? I will have to take patterns on it and make a function for you.