Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need some suggestions

• Please log in to reply

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
We all know that the technology keeps updating...
Let's say I buy a brand new computer with all the latest features available. Which of the following is better:

A) Upgrade the computer whenever a new feature is out OR

B) Just leave your computer for 5-8 years when it is out of fashion. Then buy another brand new computer.

Which one would you prefer?

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
The ultimate answer to your query would be dictated by available $$$ ;-)

Here's what I ask my clients who enquire about upgrades:

1) Does it run the applications you need it to run?
2) Does it run them fast enough for you?

If the answers are yes, then don't bother...keep the machine you have until it dies and grab another. If no, then obviously it's time to upgrade, or in most cases with older machines, replace it completely.

Having said that, for someone "in the know", if you have the bucks, kewl new toys for your PC always rocks! I have crap in and out of my machine so much that the case is never on and most of the stuff is not screwed down. ;-)

Hope this helps!
Be well, SD

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
I think SoccerDad hit it right on the nose there.

If the computer fits your needs, there is no need to get a new one or upgrade. Once you out grown your computer, then its time for a new one or upgrade.

Whats is it like 3 months before your new PC is old anyways...lol ;).

:tazz:

Excal

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Whats is it like 3 months before your new PC is old anyways...lol ;).
:tazz:

Excal

View Post

LOL, bang on the head Excal! Another thing I tell my clients: "Get used to the fact that you can grab the latest and greatest machine on the market, but by the time you get it home and running, there is another one on a shipping truck somewhere that is better. Keeping up with the Jones in the computer game will cost you dearly."

Be well, SD

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi guys...
I think I get the point now. I bought the 2k pro when it first came out, which is like around 6 years now....with 1.4GHz, 128DDRRAM, 16 for the video card--Matrox G450. (now I think that the retailer ripped me off) I didnt think of anything about upgrades when I was a nub.. I can run most of the applications with no problem by that time. But then things changed. With all the new stuff coming out, I can either run them in lowest detail, or cant even run them because my computer didnt meet the system requirement. Thats when I start to think that my computer is really old now. :tazz: Now if I upgrade my computer, I think it will become 2.0GHz if I add all the fans and heat sinks. RAM and video RAM will not be a problem. But even if I got two 512DDRAM and 512 video RAM, I think the computer wont do any good as long as with a 2.0GHz processor. More RAM doesnt help if the computer has a crappy processor...right?

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
it all depends really. if you like your system, stick with it. not fast enough for you? upgrade it! you should decide what's best and if you can afford it. i for one, am very happy with my 2.0 ghz processor despite the fact that there are machines twice as fast out there.

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I never touched a puter before I got this 4 years ago and thru trials and mistakes and great help from websites like this I can keep it running proficiently enough to play games,send photos inst. e-mail and keep all my personal stuff in order.No need for gimmicks,just keep the machine safeguarded and clean diligently.Just have fun with it tho.

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Upgrading your PC entirely depends on what you do with it.

If all you wanna do is write emails, letters and surf the web then any old hunk of junk will do.

If you wanna play the latest and greatest games then you will need to keep your PC up to spec at all times.

Me personally I am a gamer, but my funds do not permit me to upgrade to the latest technologies when they come out, so if I have a game that I like I will get my machine up a decent enough spec to play it and then play it until it is out of date. I have just upgraded after playing BF1942 for the last 3 years on my old system, so that I can no play BF2.

To be honest I dont think I would buy the latest GFX card or CPU as as they come out anyways, they are always way over priced and anyone who willpay £300+ for a graphics card to play a £25 game on is nuts if you ask me.

I spent £50 on a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro which is no where near top of the line, but it allows me to play BF2 in a decent res.

SO basically my theory is, upgrade when you can, but eventually you will have to get a new PC, when you need to upgrade your CPU, you normally find you have to upgrade you motherboard, which in turn means you have to change your RAM too, so at this point I would buy a new PC.