Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unbuntu Live CD - How do I get it to run

• Please log in to reply

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Have an Unbuntu live CD. When I boot from it, I get to an Unbuntu screen and it wants to do some kind of install. No matter what I try, it takes me thru language screens, keyborad screens, etc and then gets me to a screen where it offers to erase my HD completely, ;) or partition it otherwise. Whenever I get to this screen, I carefully back out, and exit the installation, despite warnings that things may go unstable.

I dont want to install this on my harddrive at this time. I certainly don't want to partition my HD now. I thought I could run it exclusivley from the CD, without making HD changes.

I'm very much a Linux rookie :tazz:

TIA, EMCGuy

Advertisements

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hi,

I think you downloaded the wrong CD image. The live CD does not give you any options and the screens you are describing are from the installation CD. If you downloaded the DVD image, it has both the live and install CD's included and to test the live version, you need to enter "live" at the boot prompt.

Hope that helps. It was noted in the old thread that Ubunutu is Gnome that some people don't like as much as KDE, but you can install the KDE desktop environment after install Ubuntu and have the option of using which ever one you like!

Could you put up the name of the ISO file you burned your live CD from? We can just quick double-check it was the right disc.

Cheers,
Tom

Have an Unbuntu live CD.  When I boot from it, I get to an Unbuntu screen and it wants to do some kind of install.  No matter what I try, it takes me thru language screens, keyborad screens, etc and then gets me to a screen where it offers to erase my HD completely,  ;) or partition it otherwise.  Whenever I get to this screen, I carefully back out, and exit the installation, despite warnings that things may go unstable.

I dont want to install this on my harddrive at this time.  I certainly don't want to partition my HD now.  I thought I could run it exclusivley from the CD, without making HD changes.

I'm very much a Linux rookie  :tazz:

TIA,    EMCGuy

View Post

EMCguy

EMCguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
its Ubuntu-5.04-install-i386.iso

Your right, I just checked, I need the Ubuntu-5.04-live-i386.iso

I'll have to wait till later this evening for better download times. My ISP stinks.

Thanks

EMCguy

(Two stupid posts in one day, a personal best for me) :tazz:

Edited by EMCguy, 26 July 2005 - 07:20 PM.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hi,

You did download the wrong image, just below the downloads labeled "Install", you will see a heading called "Live" and you will want to grab the i386 image named:

ubuntu-5.04-live-i386.iso

Cheers,
Tom

its Ubuntu-5.04-install-i386.iso

View Post

EMCguy

EMCguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
I forgot to say thanks. Thanks

Emcguy

I'm from Minneapolis too.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
No worries! :tazz: I think you will like Ubuntu and the whole automated package search and install utility for Debian based linux distros (aka Ubuntu) called "Synaptic" is very slick. Makes it pretty simple to install new programs and to keep them updated.

Make a post if you choose to install to your hard-drive, there are a few tips/tricks which are useful.

Minneapolis is pretty nice and I am nice and close to go watch my Saints baseball. I will have lived here going on 9 years for school! Ack!

Cheers,
Tom

I forgot to say thanks. Thanks

Emcguy

I'm from Minneapolis too.

View Post

EMCguy

EMCguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Been playing with it for a while. You're right, I think I'm going to like this, especially the price tag.

Was quite surprised to see that my it could convert my excel spreadsheets. The charts dont seem to be working, but I was pleasantly surprised that it converted at all.

And of course I had to try GNOME Mine.

sorry_name_taken_already

sorry_name_taken_already

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51526

I wish my debian/unbuntu install was as smooth as yours. The iso (from a PC mag DVD) was a pain in the bum to burn , no root user and now xserver missing? Im just [bleep]ing because i have to download x.org src files and compile them becuase xerver-xorg6.8.2-10_i386.deb was missing from boot cd!

Look onthe bright side of thigns , eh? The bugs during install has taught me a little more about linux. Can someone tell me how to compile the src files
http://mirror.sg.dep...8.2/src-single/

Cheers

EMCguy

EMCguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
SNTA :tazz:

two suggestions

1) start a new topic with a title like - Having problems with Ubuntu live. Most of the people reading this particular thread are the folks that have subcribed to it by posting or replying - maybe four people. You'll definitely get a larger audience if you post a new thread/topic.

2) Instead of downloading the source code, why not download the Live CD, or order the live CD from ubuntu.

best regards

Paul