Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to change my wan ip address

• Please log in to reply

Vertigo101

Vertigo101

• Pip
  • 8 posts
WinXP Pro SP2
Motorolla Surfboard modem
D-Link DI-604 Router
Cable ISP gives a dynamic ip address

I know that a dynamic ip address (WAN) should change from time to time, but mine doesn't. Some might say that keeping the same ip address is a good thing. Problably is, but i want to change mine none the less. This is not a serious problem that im trying to fix, it rather just me trying to figure it all out. So, any help on this would be appreciated.

I connect through my router using DHCP. I know that my router will automatically assign my individual pc's with dynamic ip addresses for my LAN. As far as my understand goes so far, this means that all my computers share the same WAN ip address that my ISP assigned me. My observations tell me that when i connect to the internet using one computer directly connected to the modem only, I see a WAN address(if i go to ip chicken for example). But, when i connect useing one computer through my router and go to ip chicken i see a different WAN ip address. Neither one of these addresses have been able to change. I have done the ipconfig/release...then....ipconfig/renew command and all it does is give the same ip address. I tried to reset the address through the routers config with the same result. I have also powered off the modem and router, again, with no sucess.

I would like to know why i get a different ip address when i am either "only modem connected" or "thorugh router connected" . And, is there a way to change the WAN ip address of either "connection type" I stated above?

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi Vertigo101, welcome to GTG!

Your outside IP will be assigned to you via your provider and there is no real way for you to change that yourself. I also find the cable companies to hold the same IP for much longer than the DSL providers I've encountered. Many times, turning the modem off and on will result in IP change for DSL. You could try to call or email and ask for a change and see they will accomodate you.

As for the descripency in IP addys, I'm not sure. Can you describe the difference (ie. one number different, one group, the entire thing, etc.) or you'll be safe posting the first quad (ie. 192.) here on a public board if you'd care to. You are correct in your observation of shared WAN IP. The process is called NAT (Network Address Translation) and was originally designed to address the issue of IPv4 running out of address space a few years back. It can also give a certain level of protection by it's nature from the outside Internet world, so it stuck around and grew. Give whatismyip.com a whirl when you can and see what it shows. It could be showing the internal IP of the modem at ip chicken, but I need to know a little more about the descrepency.

ttysoon, SD

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may be able to choose connect on demand in your router configuration. If the lease time is short enough you may get a new IP from time to time. You can also use relase ip/renew ip which is likely available in your router's configuartion or setup page.

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I know that a dynamic ip address (WAN) should change from time to time, but mine doesn't.

An IP address is leased to you by your ISP. Once the lease is expire's a new IP address is issued to you.

Some might say that keeping the same ip address is a good thing. Problably is, but i want to change mine none the less.

It's good to have a static IP address if your hosting a server. For a regular home user If your not hosting a server I wouldn't recommend having a static IP address. 3mb accounts for ADSL usually come with a Static IP address. For a few more dollars you can contact your ISP and let them you know you want a static IP.

Just for the record ISP's deal with the connection from the WAN IP side through ISP's network (Redback and Authentication servers) on a side note, WAN/IP should not start with 169, 172, 192 or 10

I tried to reset the address through the routers config with the same result. I have also powered off the modem and router, again, with no sucess.

You need to power cycle your cable modem as well as

DLink DI-604/614 routers
1. With the unit on, place a paper clip into the hole on the back on the unit
labeled Reset.

2. Hold paper clip down for 10 seconds and release.

Important: Do not power on unit during this procedure.

3. The unit will reboot on its own. Once the WLAN light stops blinking, the unit
is reset.

Note: Resetting the router does not reset the firmware to an earlier version. It
will change all settings back to factory defaults.

4. The router is now ready to be re-configured for Cable

5. Additional support/information for DLink routers can be found at
http://support.dlink.com

I hope this helps. If you want a site like www.ip2location.com or www.ipchicken.com or www.whatismyip.com etc... I would recommend using an anonymous Proxy server and configure your web browser to work with the proxy server once done, head over to one of those sites listed above and if done correctly, it should detect the Proxy server IP address instead of the one leased to you by your ISP, Hope this helps IronGeek.

Vertigo101

Vertigo101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

by IronGeek: An IP address is leased to you by your ISP. Once the lease is expire's a new IP address is issued to you.

Well, i understand that now. Thanks. I now think thats its prob impossible to find out how long a lease lasts for. It could be forever. One of the reasons id like to have my ip address change is to serf more annonomously, which in my opinon is safer. Buy i heard that when the lease expires it is possible that they just re- release the same ip address to you as long as there where no problems with the address.

by IronGeek: I would recommend using an anonymous Proxy server

I will definetly look into that, but first i wanted to get all the basics coverd first. Thanks for your replies.

by SoccerDad: Can you describe the difference (ie. one number different, one group, the entire thing, etc.) or you'll be safe posting the first quad (ie. 192.)

I can, but i will sound like im being carful while describing.

When i go to any ip finding site ( ipchicken. whatismyip, or any other) i get the same results. They do not tell my my internal (LAN) ip address. I would really like to know the difference between these two ip addresses im about to describe.

In my first senario I have my computer directly connected to my cable modem. When i go to a ip site it tells me my public ip address. The first quad contains two digits , the second, third, and forth quads all contain three digits.

In my second senario i have my computer connected through my router. When i go to an ip site it tells me a different public ip address. The fisrt two quads are exacly the same as in the first senario. In the third quad the last digit changes. The fourth quad is completely different.

It almost seems like i have two differnent public (WAN) ip addresses. One for my modem and one for my router. But that shouldnt be because my ISP Should only have leased me one public IP address.

This raises the question...does my router have two different ip addresses. One for my LAN which starts in 192.168........ and then one for the internet.

If my router does have its own public ip address, what type is it ( static or dynamic) and can it be changed. ( Please note that im not talking about changing my router's static LAN address that starts in 192.168....).

Any more insight is appreciated, and thaks for your replies so far.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Vertigo101

Putting it simply, your modem will be receiving an IP addy from your ISP, could be anything like 205.100.35.254, this is normally still assigned by DHCP from the ISP unless you purchased an IP addy.

When a cp receives an IP from DHCP there is a lease time configured for lets say 7 days for your cp, which will be gone if you shut down, the lease time will vary by whatever setting the admin has set. The cp will try to renew the lease of the address roughly halfway through the lease, so 7 days / 2 = 3.5 days your cp will ask the DHCP server that it still wants the same address.

What you are receiving from your router and modem is 192.168 range is called a private IP address which most companies will setup for internal use, this address is not resovable on the Internet. Your router or modem is handing addresses to your cp, and takes the place of your cp by asking for websites.

If you open a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all, your default gateway will point to the router if connected normally 192.168.0.1. Connected to your modem it might be the address of the ISP 22.4.0.5 (Numbers are just made up and might not be the same)

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi Vertigo101!

Spank and Irongeek have covered the other bases, and we'll carry over the lease bit for this one:

In my first senario I have my computer directly connected to my cable modem. When i go to a ip site it tells me my public ip address. The first quad contains two digits , the second, third, and forth quads all contain three digits.

In my second senario i have my computer connected through my router. When i go to an ip site it tells me a different public ip address. The fisrt two quads are exacly the same as in the first senario. In the third quad the last digit changes. The fourth quad is completely different.

It almost seems like i have two differnent public (WAN) ip addresses. One for my modem and one for my router. But that shouldnt be because my ISP Should only have leased me one public IP address.

That was the info I needed, perfect! DHCP generally will bind an IP address to a MAC address. (MAC-Media Access Control-This is designed to be a unique (I say "designed" because it can be changed) HEX value assigned to all network devices by the manufacturer. Here's an example MAC addy and the frequently used 3 ways it is displayed: 080007A92BFC, 09:00:07:A9:B2:EB, or 09-10-4A-B9-E2-A4) When you connect with your router, it's MAC will "show thru", but this will be different than the MAC on your PC. Therefore, it is distinctly possible that your ISP is giving you separate leases for each MAC.

ttysoon, SD

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

One of the reasons id like to have my ip address change is to serf more annonomously, which in my opinon is safer.

If you would like to surf anonymous you need to use a proxy server. As previously stated configure proxy server to work with your web browser.

For Proxy Servers I recommend going here http://www.publicpro....com/page1.html

Select a proxy server from the list one thats says PORT 8080.

Now to configure Internet Explorer to work with a proxy is very simple. Simply open IE, go to TOOLS, Internet Options, click on Connections, click on LAN settings button, place a check in use proxy server button next Enter IP address and port number. Also, place check in bypass proxy server for local addresses. Once done hit apply, then hit OK. Close IE go to www.ipchicken.com or www.whatismyip.com

if you did this correctly the proxy server IP address will be dected and not the one leased to you by your ISP. Please keep in mind just because your using an anonymous proxy server it doesnt mean your totally anonymous on the net. In case you don't believe me,go do something stupid with one of these anonymous proxy servers and see if they really kept you anonymous. Proxy servers 'ASSIST' in surfing anonymously, even if you hack into another windows XP Machine and use that machine to break into a server you still can be EASILY traced. I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions with *anonymous proxy servers* Hope this helps.

Vertigo101

Vertigo101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Iron Geek,

Very good info. I appreciate that link too. However, i use firefox. Which should be good with proxies, but i havent looked into it yet.

Vertigo101

Vertigo101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
About mac addresses.........

I know that my NIC has a burned in mac address and what the number is. It reads exactly the same in the following places...in my network cards config, in ipconfig/all, and in my routers config under the DHCP tab.

(1) Now, in my routers config (under the WAN tab) the mac address is different than my NIC's mac address. The first 4 numbers are exactly the same, however, the rest are completely diff. Is that the cause of my ISP leasing my router its own public ip address?

(2) Do routers have "burned in" mac addresses like NIC's do?

(3) Is it logical to say that you can temporarily change your Public WAN IP address by overridding your NIC's MAC to be a "Locally Administered Address"?

(4) If you change the MAC addy to be locally administerd is it possible for your burned in mac addy to be erased or over-WRITTEN in any way?

(5) Can you change you're router's mac address to be LAA, just like you can with you're NIC?

(6) When dealing with you're NIC's mac addy....the binary form of "Universally Administered" is 0, and "Locally Administered" is 1. Is the only place you would see, or change these binary values in regedit? Or, would you see binary values in any "control pannel type" configuration windows?

(7) Is the "clone mac address" option in my router's config to clone my NIC's "burned in" mac address for DHCP purposes?

gnrsu

gnrsu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
there are so many online tools, but i think we need a offline one for prepare.

TAKE "**IP2**" FOR EXAMPLE

HelenTiemann

HelenTiemann

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Wao great you should use windows 7 professional iso download because with the help of windows 7 you can change wan ip easily