Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

linux fedora core 4 help

• Please log in to reply

cyberjunkie

cyberjunkie

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i installed fedora core recently along side my original windows xp system and like most people would do im trying to get the internet to run the only problem is i really have no idea where to start :tazz: . I have a netgear WG311 pci adapter if that helps. Does anyone have a link that an extreme beginner to linux can understand on how to do this or can someone explain what i have to do?

Advertisements

fusioni

fusioni

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i got the same problem, cept i nuked my xp partition, (using this box as my test run for Fedora Core 4...)

i found the net config..... and for some reason it wont let me get fedora to automatically config DHCP.. i got a realtek 8139 (i know, old.. but just incase, i aint letting fedora mess with my fancy new stuff)

any help?

oh, and for the previous question, u can find the config in system tools found under applications.

tictoc

tictoc

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
If you have your head set on Fedora core, I'd recommend trying ndiswrapper or linuxant driverloader (not free, but worked well with mandrake)
If you don't mind switching distros, the WG311v1 works "out of the box" with Ubuntu. (detected at install and config'd before ever starting x)
I've seen some threads on ubuntuforums that indicate the WG311v2 isn't as friendly because of a different chipset.
if you're unsure of your version:
open a terminal and type
lspci
If your output indicates "Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg", that would be v1 and should work with any of the 3 options I mentioned....IIRC, the ACX111 chipset is v2 and may or may not work with any of the 3 options.

Probably doesn't help much but I hope so. :tazz:

fusioni

fusioni

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i figured it out, i found the proper connection already made, deleted the new ones i made, and activated the good one. all is well!