Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux and Windows on same machine

• Please log in to reply

.Hack

.Hack

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Plz help again! I want to install Linux and Windows on the same HDD... how can i do this? I know there's "lilo" to choose from what to boot and that stuff, but wich OS do I have to install first?? And i guess it has to be on different partitions too...

Is there something I have to configure after the installation to make it possible to boot from one or another OS?

Advertisements

tictoc

tictoc

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

And i guess it has to be on different partitions

Yep. Most distros have partitioning tools included but how many of them can resize a NTFS partition, I'm not sure of....I know Mandriva and Red Hat/ Fedora Core are capable. ( I always install linux on a separate drive so I haven't kept up with which distros can resize windows partitions )

but wich OS do I have to install first??

Windows then Linux...Since Windows writes its bootloader to the MBR with total disregard to any other bootloader that may be present...the result: wiping out lilo or grub if linux were installed first.

Is there something I have to configure after the installation to make it possible to boot from one or another OS?

lilo or grub configuration will be part of the install, most of the time it's as easy as hitting enter or clicking continue since most distros detect a windows install and automatically add it to the bootloader.

Which distro are you going to be installing?

.Hack

.Hack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Is that an ibanez out there in your avatar?? nice! (can't see quite well, but it also looks like an ESP or maybe a washburn), love it anyways!!

Hey.. again.. I'm planning to install Suse (last version) or maybe Debian, I am currently using Debian but maybe I will have both of them (OS) on the same HDD...

tictoc

tictoc

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Is that an ibanez out there in your avatar?? nice! (can't see quite well, but it also looks like an ESP or maybe a washburn), love it anyways!!

Hey.. again.. I'm planning to install Suse (last version) or maybe Debian, I am currently using Debian but maybe I will have both of them (OS) on the same HDD...

View Post

Google says that both SUSE and Debian can resize your NTFS partition, so sounds like good news...
Just remember to clean up the drive and defrag before resizing and all should go smooth...at least it has on every resize I've done. :tazz:

Oh, good eye on the guitar...unfortunately, it's just a copy, but set next to an ESP it's almost identical....Pretty much the Kirk Hammett guitar, minus the skull and crossbones inlays.

Scooped

Scooped

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Google says that both SUSE and Debian can resize your NTFS partition, so sounds like good news...
Just remember to clean up the drive and defrag before resizing and all should go smooth...at least it has on every resize I've done.  :tazz:

Oh, good eye on the guitar...unfortunately, it's just a copy, but set next to an ESP it's almost identical....Pretty much the Kirk Hammett guitar, minus the skull and crossbones inlays.

View Post

If not I believe Knoppix has a partition editor (Can't think of the name at the moment.).

Also you could install linux first, and then reinstall your bootloader to the MBR using a live cd.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I'd personaly stay away from altering the partion of Windows installed system and simply back up what you need and get a fresh start with both Windows and Linux and seperate aprtitions that were created specifically for what you are doing.

Windows is squirrely enough without getting in and tinkering with stuff it setup (like the bootloader).

Thats my 2 cents, FWIW.

RAz

RAz

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
thenotch is right...
resizing the partition can be bad ... expecialy if it isn't defragmented...
and if you are reinstalling both O/S from scratch you shoud format the partitions...

also note that for linux you need 2 partitions one main and one swap...

o yeah and install windows first to avoid complications...

Edited by RAz, 19 August 2005 - 09:55 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
defrag your windows partition mulitple times...probably 2 or 3 times....also run checkdisk ones or twice

thegeek

thegeek

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Windows then Linux...Since Windows writes its bootloader to the MBR with total disregard to any other bootloader that may be present...the result: wiping out lilo or grub if linux were installed first.

View Post

With Windows 98, I have been able to create a partition under Linux, then go back and install Windows, and got it to use the blank partition. But, your best playing it safe. :tazz: